|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What materials did Yue Daiyun have to construct housing in Liyuzhou?
(a) Wood and clay.
(b) Bamboo and thatch.
(c) Bricks and mortar.
(d) Clay and straw.
2. Who was Ma Mingzhen?
(a) A chemical worker who had been arrested and shot for speaking critically of Lin Biao.
(b) Lin Liguo's wife.
(c) A party leader at Beida.
(d) Lin Biao's mistress.
3. What did the "Reveal Things Thoroughly to the Bottom" Detachment intend to do?
(a) Reveal counter-revolutionary statements in magazines and newspapers.
(b) Search faculty houses for capitalist possessions.
(c) Reveal bourgeois thinking among teachers.
(d) Investigate the lives of government officials.
4. Why was Tang Dan disillusioned with her work in Dedu county?
(a) Peasants had been mistreated.
(b) Her efforts had been unappreciated.
(c) Mismanagement had caused poor crop yields.
(d) Money had been embezzled.
5. Why was Lao Tang endangered by the arrest of the Gang of Four?
(a) The Gang of Four had been Lao Tang's only supporters.
(b) The Gang of Four had turned against him.
(c) The Gang of Four had supported him and they were now imprisoned.
(d) The Gang of Four would identify Lao Tang as a dissident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tang Dan want to do for the Jinggang Mountain students?
2. What did the famous "32 Cadres and Teachers" poster assert?
3. What shocked Yue Daiyun upon her return to Beida?
4. Why was Yue Daiyun encouraged about the teachers at the cadre school in Liyuzhou?
5. What was Yue Daiyun's diet during her first months in Liyuzhou?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Liang Xiao? What was its purpose?
2. How was Tang Dan allowed as a child to help the Jinggang Mountain group?
3. What did the student Red Guards at Beida dispute about Nie Yuanzi's policies?
4. What astonished Lao Tang more than evidence of Lin Biao's reactionary viewpoint?
5. Why had Lao Tang not left Liang Xiao?
6. Why were the department leaders angry with Yue Daiyun when they offered her the opportunity to assist with educational reforms on campus?
7. Why was schistosomiasis a danger for those working in rice paddies?
8. What tragedy took place in Hanzhong on a branch campus for the study of applied physics?
9. Why did Yue Daiyun believe that bonds were closer at the cadre school than on the Beijing campus of Beida?
10. What was unusual about the arrival of the first students at the cadre school being established in Liyuzhou?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)