|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Yue Daiyun accidentally injure Lao Tang?
(a) She tripped him, and he fell.
(b) She dropped him while carrying him.
(c) She and the children injured his back while carrying him.
(d) She hit him with a lamp, not knowing he was there.
2. What was unusual about the student revolutionary movement at Beida?
(a) Actions were often initiated at the bottom rather than assigned from the top.
(b) Disrespect and disobedience become commonplace.
(c) Actions were often assigned from the top rather than initiated at the bottom.
(d) Actions were assigned, but seldom carried out.
3. What effect did Yue Daiyun believe the elimination of "middle characters" would have on student readers?
(a) Readers would lower their personal behavioral standards.
(b) Readers would suffer from unattainable ideals.
(c) Readers would emulate the literary characters.
(d) Readers would distrust the new literature.
4. What was the fate of the peasant university students who had not been given an education?
(a) They were inducted into the army.
(b) They were accepted for factory work.
(c) They were given another chance for a university education.
(d) They were sent to labor in the countryside.
5. What honorific assignment did Lao Tang receive in 1973?
(a) He was to be part of the "black gang."
(b) He was part of the committee analyzing Lin Biao's materials.
(c) He was named a Confucian scholar.
(d) He was made a chairman of the cadre school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the "Reveal Things Thoroughly to the Bottom" Detachment intend to do?
2. Why was "How to be a Good Communist" eventually repudiated?
3. What choice was Yue Daiyun given in 1969?
4. What was Yue Daiyun's diet during her first months in Liyuzhou?
5. Why was Yue Daiyun encouraged about the teachers at the cadre school in Liyuzhou?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the building of permanent housing the most pressing task when Yue Daiyun's group arrived at Liyuzhou?
2. Why were Chairman Mao's instructions to unite and return to classes ineffective?
3. Why were the department leaders angry with Yue Daiyun when they offered her the opportunity to assist with educational reforms on campus?
4. Why did Yue Daiyun believe that bonds were closer at the cadre school than on the Beijing campus of Beida?
5. What were the most emphatic new directives from Chairman Mao as the conflicts escalated?
6. Why had Lao Tang not left Liang Xiao?
7. Why was the educational level of college age youth lower in 1970?
8. What difficulties did Tang Dan encounter during her time with the military?
9. What astonished Lao Tang more than evidence of Lin Biao's reactionary viewpoint?
10. What tragedy took place in Hanzhong on a branch campus for the study of applied physics?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)