|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Lao Tang endangered by the arrest of the Gang of Four?
(a) The Gang of Four had been Lao Tang's only supporters.
(b) The Gang of Four had turned against him.
(c) The Gang of Four had supported him and they were now imprisoned.
(d) The Gang of Four would identify Lao Tang as a dissident.
2. What was "night fighting?"
(a) Struggle groups debating political issues.
(b) Working after dark at jobs that required less light.
(c) Using the latrines at night when ill.
(d) Group criticism.
3. Why was Yue Daiyun disheartened by her first teaching assignment at the cadre school in Liyuzhou?
(a) She was not to be a good example, but a warning.
(b) She was set up as a good example.
(c) The students were disinterested and rude.
(d) The students were at a low level of preparation.
4. How did Nie Yuanzi attempt to flush out the 250 besieged Jinggang Mountain students?
(a) She cut off their food supply.
(b) She turned off their water supply.
(c) She sent in tear gas.
(d) She turned off their electricity.
5. What caused the violence at Beida to abate?
(a) Mutual agreement.
(b) Major contenders had been imprisoned.
(c) Urgent directives to promote "big alliances."
(d) Most of the student body had gone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect had the harsh cold of the Dedu county winters had on Tang Dan?
2. Which family member was sent to a military farm in Dedu county?
3. Who was Ma Mingzhen?
4. What were the "five-same-thing" teachers to do?
5. What did the criminal activities of Lin Liguo and the defection of Lin Biao teach Yue Dainyun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did those being interrogated about disparaging remarks against Jiang Qing manage to keep from implicating their family and friends?
2. How did the disputes between factions at the university resemble civil war?
3. Why did a smiling photo of Lao Tang get him in trouble?
4. Why did Yue Daiyun find it difficult to teach a course about the struggle between bourgeois and proletarian literary theory?
5. Why was schistosomiasis a danger for those working in rice paddies?
6. Why were members of the intellectual community resentful of Liang Xiao?
7. Why was the educational level of college age youth lower in 1970?
8. What were the most emphatic new directives from Chairman Mao as the conflicts escalated?
9. Why did Yue Daiyun believe that bonds were closer at the cadre school than on the Beijing campus of Beida?
10. Why were admission examinations eliminated from the requirements for university entrance in 1970?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)