|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Yue Daiyun encouraged about the teachers at the cadre school in Liyuzhou?
(a) They were more cooperative with one another.
(b) They were older and more stable.
(c) They were better educated.
(d) They were less arrogant and more willing to learn from their students.
2. What was "night fighting?"
(a) Working after dark at jobs that required less light.
(b) Using the latrines at night when ill.
(c) Group criticism.
(d) Struggle groups debating political issues.
3. What shocked Yue Daiyun upon her return to Beida?
(a) The campus had been beautified.
(b) The campus was being closed.
(c) There were not enough students to justify continuing the university.
(d) The campus had fallen into disrepair.
4. What was the Red Guard?
(a) A department of the army.
(b) A group of revolutionary students.
(c) A group of counter-revolutionary students.
(d) A civilian militia.
5. What honorific assignment did Lao Tang receive in 1973?
(a) He was named a Confucian scholar.
(b) He was part of the committee analyzing Lin Biao's materials.
(c) He was to be part of the "black gang."
(d) He was made a chairman of the cadre school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect had the harsh cold of the Dedu county winters had on Tang Dan?
2. How were workers and peasants to be portrayed in all acceptable literary work?
3. Where were 21 people killed in campus warfare?
4. What was unusual about the student revolutionary movement at Beida?
5. What was Lao Tang's concern after being criticized for his membership in Liang Xiao?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about the arrival of the first students at the cadre school being established in Liyuzhou?
2. Why were admission examinations eliminated from the requirements for university entrance in 1970?
3. What tragedy took place in Hanzhong on a branch campus for the study of applied physics?
4. How did the disputes between factions at the university resemble civil war?
5. Why was Yue Daiyun stunned and unhappy at the new student orientation at the cadre school?
6. Which children were admitted into New Beida?
7. What difficulties did Tang Dan encounter during her time with the military?
8. Why did a smiling photo of Lao Tang get him in trouble?
9. What was Liang Xiao? What was its purpose?
10. Why was Lao Tang uneasy about national recognition of his work with Liang Xiao?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)