|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is sent out to announce a baby's one-month anniversary?
(a) Red kites.
(b) Red-dyed eggs.
(c) Fortune cookies.
(d) Party invitations.
2. Under what conditions were Yue Daiyun's parents allowed to buy property?
(a) It must represent the owner's only holding.
(b) It must be purchased from the Communist party.
(c) It must represent 80% of the owner's wealth.
(d) It could not be rented or resold.
3. What was Yue Daiyun's favorite pastime while she wandered in the mountains of Zhaitang?
(c) Writing poetry.
4. What political decision did Yue Daiyun make upon her return to Beida after her two-year absence?
(a) To carefully select which social issues should involve her.
(b) To become a leader in the field of literary history.
(c) To focus on social issues and her studies.
(d) To avoid social issues and concentrate on her studies.
5. What is the traditional baby gift given by a Chinese maternal grandmother?
(a) A keepsake baby cup.
(b) A stroller and carseat.
(c) A complete layette for the first year.
(d) A cradle and playpen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the famine in Zhaitang during the autumn of 1959?
2. What song did Yue Daiyun's brother use to comfort her while she was being criticized?
3. What interrupted Yue Daiyun's celebration of her son's one-month birthday?
4. Why was paying workers according to production criticized?
5. What was Yue Daiyun's job during the famine in Zhaitang?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were "middle characters"? Why were they considered unacceptable?
2. What is the difference between one who is an "alien class element" and one who is a "counter-revolutionary"?
3. Why did Yue Daiyun support Party policy above her own conscience?
4. What advice does Lao Wei give Yue Daiyun about survival in the countryside?
5. Where had the idea of parading enemies come from?
6. How did the newspaper articles during the Four Clean-Ups confuse Yue Daiyun?
7. What attracted Yue Daiyun to Lao Tang?
8. What does it mean to "draw a line" between yourself and another person?
9. What was the job of the sent-down cadres in the countryside?
10. How were the landlords treated by the local Communist Party committee?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)