|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Lao Wei exonerated from the rightist charge against him?
(a) Yue Daiyun proved the criticisms wrong.
(b) The peasants spoke in his behalf.
(c) He made a false confession.
(d) His cadre affirmed his good work habits.
2. What effect did the struggle sessions have on Lao Chen, the literature department head?
(a) He was sent to the countryside for re-education.
(b) He resigned his position.
(c) He commited suicide.
(d) He was forced to resign or be fired from his position.
3. What is the first "To the Storm"?
(a) A novel by Stendhal.
(b) A song written by Sun Yat-Sen.
(c) A chapter from Chairman Mao's Red Book.
(d) A poem written by Yue Daiyun.
4. What is the traditional baby gift given by a Chinese maternal grandmother?
(a) A complete layette for the first year.
(b) A keepsake baby cup.
(c) A cradle and playpen.
(d) A stroller and carseat.
5. Why was Yue Daiyun relieved of her teaching duties in 1965?
(a) She had made a poster criticizing the Four Clean-Ups.
(b) She had praised a student essay that was critical of the system.
(c) She had taught students that the Three Red Banners were incorrect.
(d) She had written an essay that was critical of the system.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Old Uncle say that he shared food with Yue Daiyun rather than eating it himself?
2. What physical difficulty was brought on for Yue Daiyun and others by the famine in Zhaitang?
3. What did the revolutionary students say the literature department had done to corrupt student morality?
4. Under what conditions were Yue Daiyun's parents allowed to buy property?
5. How did Chairman Mao refer to Nie Yuanzi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Yue Daiyun to be criticized while on maternity leave?
2. What is the message of Yue Daiyun's poem "To the Storm"?
3. Why did the famine of 1959 change Yue Daiyun's opinion of the Communist Party?
4. Why had Yue Daiyun's earlier visit to the Soviet Union been disillusioning?
5. Why did Yue Daiyun admire Tang Yongtong?
6. Why was Yue Daiyun unworried about the criticism she was to face?
7. What is the "theory of revolutionary inheritance"?
8. Why did Yue Daiyun object to Lao Tang's brother's wife?
9. How were the landlords treated by the local Communist Party committee?
10. Why did Yue Daiyun decide not to object to being considered a rightist?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)