|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did night meetings at the commune in Zhaitang attempt to educate the peasants?
(a) By turning on radio news broadcasts for them.
(b) By reading newspapers to them.
(c) By purchasing textbooks for them.
(d) By teaching them basic literacy.
2. What song did Yue Daiyun's brother use to comfort her while she was being criticized?
(a) "La Donna est Mobile."
(b) "My Old Kentucky Home."
(c) "La Marseille."
(d) "I Dream of Jeannie."
3. Why was Yue Daiyun's long-awaited home visit depressing?
(a) She had to face charges and criticism at home.
(b) She became ill and spent the time recuperating.
(c) Her students were openly hostile to her.
(d) Her baby didn't remember her, and she was a stranger on campus.
4. What effect did the Four Clean-Ups campaign have on Yue Daiyun's thinking?
(a) She felt determined to support the program.
(b) She at last saw her path clearly.
(c) She was bitterly opposed to the program.
(d) She felt bewildered.
5. Why was returning to Beijing in 1966 disheartening for Yue Daiyun?
(a) She was discouraged about her own progress.
(b) She was disappointed at the low production.
(c) She was disillusioned with the system.
(d) She was surprised at the lack of student enthusiasm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name "Lao" mean in Mandarin Chinese?
2. What is the "white and expert way"?
3. How many people in Beida had been declared rightists in 1958?
4. How many employees at China Information Headquarters were found to be politically untrustworthy during the Four Clean-Ups?
5. Why were many Chinese angry at the U.S. in 1951?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the newspaper articles during the Four Clean-Ups confuse Yue Daiyun?
2. Why did Yue Dainyun feel worse on returning from the countryside in 1966 than she had when returning in 1960?
3. Why did Yue Daiyun support Party policy above her own conscience?
4. Why did Yue Daiyun decide not to object to being considered a rightist?
5. What is the difference between one who is an "alien class element" and one who is a "counter-revolutionary"?
6. What advice does Lao Wei give Yue Daiyun about survival in the countryside?
7. Why did Yue Daiyun object to Lao Tang's brother's wife?
8. Why did Yue Daiyun admire Tang Yongtong?
9. Why is the one-month birthday an important event in China?
10. What was the job of the sent-down cadres in the countryside?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)