|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Nie Yuanzi attempt to flush out the 250 besieged Jinggang Mountain students?
(a) She cut off their food supply.
(b) She sent in tear gas.
(c) She turned off their water supply.
(d) She turned off their electricity.
2. Why was Yue Daiyun able to save money during her months in Liyuzhou?
(a) There was nothing available to buy.
(b) She received retroactive pay.
(c) She was a good money manager.
(d) She earned her regular salary, but was not allowed to spend it.
3. Why was Yue Daiyun encouraged about the teachers at the cadre school in Liyuzhou?
(a) They were older and more stable.
(b) They were better educated.
(c) They were more cooperative with one another.
(d) They were less arrogant and more willing to learn from their students.
4. What were the "five-same-thing" teachers to do?
(a) Develop posters, eat, study, reform thoughts, and labor with the students.
(b) Sleep, study, reform thoughts, eat and compose poetry with the students.
(c) Eat, live, labor, study, and reform thoughts with the students.
(d) Eat, live, sleep, study and reform thoughts with the students.
5. What effect did Yue Daiyun believe the elimination of "middle characters" would have on student readers?
(a) Readers would lower their personal behavioral standards.
(b) Readers would distrust the new literature.
(c) Readers would suffer from unattainable ideals.
(d) Readers would emulate the literary characters.
6. What natural disaster hit China in July of 1976?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A flood.
(c) A volcanic eruption.
7. For what were Yue Daiyun and Lao Tang condemned?
(a) He for being a rightist; she for being a leftist.
(b) Both for being rightists.
(c) Both for being leftists.
(d) She for being a rightist; he for being a leftist.
8. What shocked Yue Daiyun upon her return to Beida?
(a) The campus had fallen into disrepair.
(b) There were not enough students to justify continuing the university.
(c) The campus had been beautified.
(d) The campus was being closed.
9. What was the fate of the peasant university students who had not been given an education?
(a) They were given another chance for a university education.
(b) They were accepted for factory work.
(c) They were sent to labor in the countryside.
(d) They were inducted into the army.
10. Why did Lin Biao, Chairman Mao's closest ally, decide to flee the country?
(a) He had struck a deal with the Soviets.
(b) He was disillusioned with Communism.
(c) He had failed in an assassination attempt.
(d) He was embezzling money.
11. What effect had the harsh cold of the Dedu county winters had on Tang Dan?
(a) She had developed bronchial problems.
(b) She had developed rheumatism.
(c) She suffered from pneumonia.
(d) Her menstrual periods had stopped.
12. With what did Chairman Mao aim to replace Confucianism?
13. What group refused to obey Chairman Mao's directive to continue education?
(a) University teachers.
(b) University administrators.
(c) High school and university students.
(d) High school teachers and administrators.
14. Why was Lao Tang endangered by the arrest of the Gang of Four?
(a) The Gang of Four would identify Lao Tang as a dissident.
(b) The Gang of Four had supported him and they were now imprisoned.
(c) The Gang of Four had been Lao Tang's only supporters.
(d) The Gang of Four had turned against him.
15. Which family member was sent to a military farm in Dedu county?
(a) Tang Shuang.
(b) Yue Daiyun.
(c) Lao Tang.
(d) Tang Dan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task was Nie Yuanzi given in Liyuqhou?
2. In August, 1973, with whom did Chairman Mao link the defection of Lin Biao?
3. What was Yue Daiyun required to do for six months of the year in 1975?
4. What did Lao Tang's mother send to augment his diet?
5. Why was Yue Diayun not as happy as the students at the prospect of returning to Beijing from the cadre school?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)