|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task was Nie Yuanzi given in Liyuqhou?
(a) Making bricks from clay.
(b) Carrying buckets of urine.
(c) Tying sheaves to make thatch.
(d) Cutting bamboo into poles.
2. In Chinese belief, what do physical cataclysms often foretell?
(a) The death of an important person.
(b) Good fortune.
(c) The birth of an important person.
(d) Political cataclysms.
3. Why did Yue Dainyun always dislike Confucianism?
(a) Confucius was a rightist.
(b) Confucius advocated the subjugation of women.
(c) Confucius advocated capitalism.
(d) Confucius taught individualism.
4. How did the Jinggang Mountain group defend their besieged building while restoring electrical power?
(a) Firing rocks with slingshots at their attackers.
(b) Sprinkling the street with round beans.
(c) Spraying the New Beida guards with water.
(d) Shining flashlights in the attackers' faces.
5. What choice was Yue Daiyun given in 1969?
(a) To supervise students in the countryside or be under house arrest.
(b) To work in the library or resume teaching classes.
(c) To go to the countryside or work in the propaganda committee.
(d) To remain on campus or return to the countryside.
6. In what area was Tang Shuang gifted?
7. Why was Yue Daiyun encouraged about the teachers at the cadre school in Liyuzhou?
(a) They were more cooperative with one another.
(b) They were better educated.
(c) They were older and more stable.
(d) They were less arrogant and more willing to learn from their students.
8. How did Yue Daiyun feel about menial labor in Liyuzhou?
(a) It was exhilerating and strengthening.
(b) It was demeaning and exhausting.
(c) It was easy and pleasant.
(d) It was satisfying and refreshing.
9. How did Yue Daiyun accidentally injure Lao Tang?
(a) She dropped him while carrying him.
(b) She tripped him, and he fell.
(c) She and the children injured his back while carrying him.
(d) She hit him with a lamp, not knowing he was there.
10. What was Yue Daiyun's diet during her first months in Liyuzhou?
(a) Rice and vegetables.
(b) Meat, rice, and vegetables.
(c) Vegetables and fresh fish.
(d) Rice and soybean oil soup.
11. Durig the summer of 1968, how many students were killed by New Beida students?
12. What problem added to the difficulties of the second year at the cadre school?
(b) Heavy snow.
(c) Heavy rain.
13. Why was Yue Daiyun able to save money during her months in Liyuzhou?
(a) There was nothing available to buy.
(b) She received retroactive pay.
(c) She was a good money manager.
(d) She earned her regular salary, but was not allowed to spend it.
14. What were the "two erroneous viewpoints" that students were taught to beware of?
(a) Knowledge is a private possession; education can disregard politics.
(b) Knowledge is a public possession; education is central to politics.
(c) Knowledge is a possession; education is political.
(d) Knowledge is not a possession; education is apolitical.
15. Who was Ma Mingzhen?
(a) Lin Liguo's wife.
(b) A party leader at Beida.
(c) Lin Biao's mistress.
(d) A chemical worker who had been arrested and shot for speaking critically of Lin Biao.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two Beida groups refused to give ground and cooperate?
2. For what were Yue Daiyun and Lao Tang condemned?
3. Why did Lin Biao, Chairman Mao's closest ally, decide to flee the country?
4. What did Nie Yuanzi claim to believe in but refused to do?
5. What was unusual about the student revolutionary movement at Beida?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)