|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the rationale for putting literature students to hard physical labor?
(a) To help them develop better physical conditioning.
(b) To get them away from violence on campus.
(c) To provide them material about which to write.
(d) To help them understand and unite with the workers.
2. What health problem had complicated Yue Daiyun's pregnancy?
(a) Swollen ankles.
(b) Low blood pressure.
(c) High blood pressure.
(d) Morning sickness.
3. What did the commune at Zhaitang produce for income?
(a) Millet and rice.
(b) Vegetables and wheat.
(c) Apricot seeds and walnuts.
(d) Chickens and millet.
4. What objection did Communist party members have to the French novel, The Red and the Black?
(a) It encouraged individual creativity over self-effacement.
(b) It encouraged disrespect.
(c) It encouraged immorality.
(d) It encouraged blind acquiescence.
5. Under what conditions were Yue Daiyun's parents allowed to buy property?
(a) It could not be rented or resold.
(b) It must represent the owner's only holding.
(c) It must represent 80% of the owner's wealth.
(d) It must be purchased from the Communist party.
6. What does Lao Wei counsel Yue Daiyun to do to redeem herself with the party?
(a) Accuse others.
(b) Admit guilt, even if it is untrue.
(c) Deny guilt.
(d) Tell the truth.
7. How many people in Beida had been declared rightists in 1958?
(a) Three hundred faculty members.
(b) Seven hundred students.
(c) One hundred students and 500 faculty members.
(d) Five hundred students and 100 faculty members.
8. Why was paying workers according to production criticized?
(a) It was capitalist exploitation.
(b) It favored those who worked hardest.
(c) It led to decreased overall yield.
(d) It was unfair to those who slacked in their work.
9. What was Yue Daiyun's assignment during the Four Clean-Ups?
(a) Identify exemplary thinking in foreign literature.
(b) Identify bourgeois thinking in foreign literature.
(c) Identify peasants as heroes in newspaper and magazine articles.
(d) Identify sympathy toward villains in newspaper and magazine articles.
10. What term was given to those whose parents were landlords?
(a) "Alien class element."
(b) "Secret capitalist."
(d) "Stinking rich."
11. What was Yue Daiyun's overriding reaction to her two years as a peasant worker?
(b) Resentment at time wasted.
12. How did Lao Shi die?
(a) He was beaten to death while attempting to escape to Burma.
(b) He was accidentally shot.
(c) He commited suicide.
(d) He fell from a walnut tree.
13. What was the religion of the peasant family to whom Yue Daiyun was assigned in Xiaohongmen?
14. What song did Yue Daiyun's brother use to comfort her while she was being criticized?
(a) "La Marseille."
(b) "My Old Kentucky Home."
(c) "La Donna est Mobile."
(d) "I Dream of Jeannie."
15. What happened for the first time during the June 18th affair?
(a) People met with their accusers to defend themselves.
(b) Criticizers were criticized.
(c) People were struck, shoved, and paraded.
(d) Chairman Mao attended the demonstrations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were landlords punished in the village of Jiangxi during land reform?
2. What necessary tool did the Beida students accuse the work team of failing to employ?
3. What effect did the Four Clean-Ups campaign have on Yue Daiyun's thinking?
4. What is a cadre?
5. Why was Yue Daiyun's sister-in-law's father imprisoned?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)