|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "ayi?"
(a) An aunt.
(b) A Communist party leader.
(c) A grandmother.
(d) A domestic helper.
2. How were ordinary people to be portrayed in literature considered appropriate during the Four Clean-Ups?
(a) As heroes.
(b) As superhuman.
(c) As real people with normal challenges.
(d) As villains.
3. What policy sent Yue Daiyun to the countryside in 1965?
(a) The Four Clean-Ups.
(b) Clean the Class.
(c) The Second Land Reform.
(d) The Three Red Banners.
4. What was Yue Daiyun's favorite pastime while she wandered in the mountains of Zhaitang?
(b) Writing poetry.
5. What is the "white and expert way"?
(a) Academic or technical expertise.
(b) Political ideals.
(c) Democratic ideas.
(d) Clarity of thought.
6. Why were the peasants reluctant to accept the land that they were given during land reform?
(a) They were afraid of the responsibility of ownership.
(b) They were afraid of receiving the same retribution as their former landlords.
(c) They were afraid other peasants would be jealous.
(d) They were afraid that exploitation would begin again.
7. What was Yue Daiyun's overriding reaction to her two years as a peasant worker?
(a) Resentment at time wasted.
8. How many employees at China Information Headquarters were found to be politically untrustworthy during the Four Clean-Ups?
(a) One in ten.
9. What percentage of workers charged as rightists were work units expected to unveil in 1958?
(a) Twenty-five percent.
(b) Fifty percent.
(c) Ten percent.
(d) Five percent.
10. What was the religion of the peasant family to whom Yue Daiyun was assigned in Xiaohongmen?
11. Whose suspected crimes as an American spy caused Yue Daiyun to be questioned about their friendship?
(a) Gao Zhongyhi.
(b) Lao Gu.
(c) Robert Winter.
(d) Peng Yuanho.
12. What song did Yue Daiyun's brother use to comfort her while she was being criticized?
(a) "I Dream of Jeannie."
(b) "My Old Kentucky Home."
(c) "La Donna est Mobile."
(d) "La Marseille."
13. What should a good Communist always refuse to a class enemy, according to what Yue Daiyun was taught?
(c) Financial assistance.
14. What did Chairman Mao seem to be encouraging in 1956?
(a) A move to the right.
(c) Open criticism of the Communist party.
15. Why was returning to Beijing in 1966 disheartening for Yue Daiyun?
(a) She was discouraged about her own progress.
(b) She was surprised at the lack of student enthusiasm.
(c) She was disappointed at the low production.
(d) She was disillusioned with the system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term was given to those whose parents were landlords?
2. Why did Yue Daiyun refuse expensive wedding gifts?
3. Who were the first enemies of the Communists to be punished by being publicly paraded?
4. Who were alleged to be Black Gang members?
5. How was Lao Wei exonerated from the rightist charge against him?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)