1. According to Chinese legend, why does a baby smile for the first time?
(a) To bid farewell to the goddess guarding it.
(b) To greet its parents.
(c) To thank the gods for its life.
(d) To celebrate its first month on earth.
2. What does the name "Lao" mean in Mandarin Chinese?
3. What is sent out to announce a baby's one-month anniversary?
(a) Red-dyed eggs.
(b) Party invitations.
(c) Fortune cookies.
(d) Red kites.
4. What is the traditional baby gift given by a Chinese maternal grandmother?
(a) A complete layette for the first year.
(b) A stroller and carseat.
(c) A cradle and playpen.
(d) A keepsake baby cup.
5. What does the name "Xiao" mean in Mandarin Chinese?
6. What interrupted Yue Daiyun's celebration of her son's one-month birthday?
(a) A meeting at which she was to be honored.
(b) A meeting at which she was to be criticized.
(c) A meeting at which her husband was to be criticized.
(d) A meeting at which her husband was to be honored.
This section contains 5,574 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)