|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Turgot's position in the court?
2. Why was Necker forced out of the court?
3. What did Louis and Antoinette exchange with one another before they met?
4. What is the name of Maria Theresa's favorite son?
5. Who did Antoinette like making fun of in private?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erickson describe Louis?
2. How did Louis and Antoinette react to their new found power?
3. Why did the King call Mercy to his office in this section?
4. What did people think about the way Antoinette reacted to the possibility of becoming queen?
5. How do Maria Theresa and Francis of Lorraine dress their children?
6. What does Erickson say was the reality of the French court?
7. What does Maria Theresa want the servants to discuss with their children?
8. What major problem is highlighted in this section?
9. Who was Count Mercy?
10. What problems did Jacques Necker cause?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the decline in Marie Antoinette's popularity. How did the French public first receive Marie Antoinette? Why did public opinion turn against Marie Antoinette? What do you think Marie Antoinette could have done to change public opinion in her favor?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the financial situation in France. What was the financial situation in France in the 1780s? Why did people blame the royal family during this time? In what way could it be said that neither Marie Antoinette nor her husband did anything to help the situation?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)