|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Engels working while he and Marx were writing articles together?
2. Where did Trotsky go after he escaped from Russia?
3. How did Marx and Engels view their theory of history?
4. How does a dialectical system progress?
5. What had Russia still not experienced by the end of the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lenin's meeting with Trotsky.
2. Describe Lenin's relationship with his wife.
3. How does Edmund Wilson say Marx thought about Das Kapital?
4. What critique did Engels make of classical economics?
5. Why hadn't Marx and Engels thought that Russia would have the revolution they anticipated?
6. How did the theory of dialectical materialism by Marx and Engels reflect Hegel's influence?
7. How did Marx and Engels describe the stages of economic development?
8. How did Marx ultimately find Engels?
9. Where did Marx and Engels apply their theories?
10. How was Engels brought to socialism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What external opposition did communists and socialists face? Who were their principal opponents, and what methods were used to oppose them? Why were those methods ultimately unsuccessful in Russia? Why were socialism and communism more successfully resisted in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
How do the terms "proletariat" and "bourgeoisie" apply to American society? Do they map neatly to recognizable parties, or are there subcultures that do not fit in this binary? Is class struggle felt in America? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Using Michelet's theory that government is the result of the pressures and forces and works of men, how would you explain our contemporary culture? What pressures and forces and works have created the culture in which we live?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)