|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "Communist Manifesto" described?
2. Describe Trotsky's early relationship with Lenin.
3. Where did Friedrich Engels grow up?
4. Where did Lenin and Trotsky first meet?
5. How does Marx distinguish between the proletariat and the bourgeoisie in terms of morality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Marx and Engels apply their theories?
2. How does Edmund Wilson say Marx thought about Das Kapital?
3. Describe Lenin's temperament and methods.
4. Describe Lenin's relationship with his wife.
5. How does dialectical materialism correlate to economic phenomena?
6. What are the ten points addressed in the Communist Manifesto?
7. What was Marx' engagement with the Workers' Associations by the time Das Kapital was finished?
8. Describe the environment where Engels grew up.
9. How was Engels brought to socialism?
10. Why, according to Trotsky, did the 1905 Soviet fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the philosophies of two political or economic philosophers of your choice. How are their philosophies similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Which thinkers embraced Marx's work enthusiastically? Which thinkers reject his work? Describe one thinker who embraced Marx and another who rejected his work. Explain what their relationship with Marx says about their philosophies.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Fourier's communes never progressed, while Owen's did? Was it simply a question of money, or were there other factors? How do you explain the fact that Owen's communes fell apart if he was gone? What do these things tell us about communist theory and practice?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)