|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of approach toward the study of economics did Marx take?
2. What thinker did Marx return to after he broke with Proudhon?
3. According to the author, what does the "dialectic" means in "dialectic materialism"?
4. What in particular appalled Engels about the workers' conditions?
5. What were Marx and Engels trying to define after writing "The Condition of the Working Class in England"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What critique did Engels make of classical economics?
2. How did Marx and Engels describe the stages of economic development?
3. Describe the environment where Engels grew up.
4. Why, according to Trotsky, did the 1905 Soviet fail?
5. What are the ten points addressed in the Communist Manifesto?
6. What is dialectical materialism?
7. How did Marx approach the question of studying capitalism?
8. How did Marx ultimately find Engels?
9. Describe Marx's relationship with Proudhon.
10. How did the theory of dialectical materialism by Marx and Engels reflect Hegel's influence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Michelet's method of looking at paradoxes in a culture, can you say that there was a moment when the Russian Revolution became inevitable as the choice people would make in response to the paradoxes or contradictions of their times? What forces had been held in paradoxical stability that were now resolved or translated into another relation?
Essay Topic 2
Cite a contemporary class conflict that fits neatly into the dialectical materialism model of bourgeoisie and proletariat fighting. Choose one conflict that does not fit neatly into the model. Explain how the cases either fit or do not fit.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect of imprisonment and internal exile to Siberia on the thinking of the socialist thinkers who brought about the Russian Revolution. Why were they sent there? What did they learn there?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)