|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Engels see as a sign of the workers' poor working conditions?
2. How did Marx and Engels view their theory of history?
3. Where did Friedrich Engels grow up?
4. According to Marx, what kind of labor do machines contain?
5. According to Marx and Engels, from what did the bourgeoisie and the proletariat originate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the environment where Engels grew up.
2. Describe the relationship between Lenin and Trotsky.
3. What conditions made Russia a good candidate for a transition to communism?
4. Describe Lenin's relationship with his wife.
5. What critique did Engels make of classical economics?
6. How did Marx ultimately find Engels?
7. Where did Marx and Engels apply their theories?
8. What reforms did the 1905 Soviet institute?
9. How does dialectical materialism correlate to economic phenomena?
10. How did Marx and Engels describe the stages of economic development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Engels, for one, had a conversion experience that brought him to communism. How did thinkers find communism as a solution to society's problems or questions? Were they converted? What had they believed before? For what questions or problems was communism the answer?
Essay Topic 2
What changes in European and Russian cultures created ripe conditions for the socialist thought that led from Hegel to Michelet and, ultimately, to Lenin? Was it industrialism, or was it economic transition itself?
Essay Topic 3
Using Michelet's method of looking at paradoxes in a culture, can you say that there was a moment when the Russian Revolution became inevitable as the choice people would make in response to the paradoxes or contradictions of their times? What forces had been held in paradoxical stability that were now resolved or translated into another relation?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)