|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson describe Marx's study of economics?
2. Where did Lenin move after being released from prison?
3. Describe Trotsky's early relationship with Lenin.
4. The "Communist Manifesto" by Marx and Engel wanted to end ____________.
5. How does Edmund Wilson describe the relationship between Marx and Engels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lenin's temperament and methods.
2. What was Marx' standard for saying that the proletariat and bourgeoisie moralities are opposed to each other?
3. What was Bakunin's relationship with Marx?
4. What defined the views of Marx and Engels on international relationships between nations?
5. What effect did Marx have on Engels?
6. How did Marx ultimately find Engels?
7. What reforms did the 1905 Soviet institute?
8. What was Marx' engagement with the Workers' Associations by the time Das Kapital was finished?
9. Describe Lenin's relationship with his wife.
10. How did Marx approach the question of studying capitalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Engels, for one, had a conversion experience that brought him to communism. How did thinkers find communism as a solution to society's problems or questions? Were they converted? What had they believed before? For what questions or problems was communism the answer?
Essay Topic 2
Which thinkers embraced Marx's work enthusiastically? Which thinkers reject his work? Describe one thinker who embraced Marx and another who rejected his work. Explain what their relationship with Marx says about their philosophies.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Fourier's communes never progressed, while Owen's did? Was it simply a question of money, or were there other factors? How do you explain the fact that Owen's communes fell apart if he was gone? What do these things tell us about communist theory and practice?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)