|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Marx and Engels pioneers in their field?
2. What in particular appalled Engels about the workers' conditions?
3. Where did Friedrich Engels grow up?
4. Why did Marx break with Proudhon?
5. How did Marx and Engels characterize capitalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marx's relationship with Proudhon.
2. How did Marx approach the question of studying capitalism?
3. How did Marx and Engels describe the stages of economic development?
4. Describe Lenin's meeting with Trotsky.
5. How does Edmund Wilson say Marx thought about Das Kapital?
6. How did Marx ultimately find Engels?
7. Describe the environment where Engels grew up.
8. What critique did Engels make of classical economics?
9. Describe Lenin's temperament and methods.
10. What was Marx' standard for saying that the proletariat and bourgeoisie moralities are opposed to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Michelet's method of looking at paradoxes in a culture, can you say that there was a moment when the Russian Revolution became inevitable as the choice people would make in response to the paradoxes or contradictions of their times? What forces had been held in paradoxical stability that were now resolved or translated into another relation?
Essay Topic 2
Which of the thinkers which Edmund Wilson describes had the greatest effect on bringing about the Russian Revolution? What metrics would you use to justify such a claim for a particular thinker?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of education in the development of the theories that led to the Russian Revolution? Were thinkers taught in schools? In communes? What organizations fostered the growth and spread of communism? Which organizations resisted the spread of the ideology with other ideology?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)