|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson characterize Marx's view of Das Kapital?
2. When did Trotsky first study Marx and Lenin?
3. According to Trotsky, why did the 1905 revolt fail?
4. Marx began to work with Proudhon, who had written _____________.
5. According to Marx, what kind of labor do machines contain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Engels brought to socialism?
2. What reforms did the 1905 Soviet institute?
3. What are the ten points addressed in the Communist Manifesto?
4. Describe the relationship between Lenin and Trotsky.
5. Where did Marx and Engels apply their theories?
6. Describe the environment where Engels grew up.
7. Describe Lenin's temperament and methods.
8. Describe Marx's relationship with Proudhon.
9. How does dialectical materialism correlate to economic phenomena?
10. What critique did Engels make of classical economics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which thinkers would have been satisfied with the Russian Revolution as the fulfillment of their work? Which thinkers would have been horrified? Explain how three philosophers' work would have been fulfilled or betrayed by the Communist Revolution.
Essay Topic 2
Edmund Wilson says that Comte d Saint-Simon represented the new kind of writer. Describe the transition taking place in Europe for which Saint-Simon was an emblem.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect of imprisonment and internal exile to Siberia on the thinking of the socialist thinkers who brought about the Russian Revolution. Why were they sent there? What did they learn there?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)