|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what mental/emotional state did Lenin find the Russian intellectuals at the turn of the century?
2. What were Marx and Engels trying to define after writing "The Condition of the Working Class in England"?
3. What was Lassalle's relationship with the communists, according to Edmund Wilson's account?
4. Marx's study of economics contains a discrepancy because he included _______.
5. How does Edmund Wilson characterize Marx's view of Das Kapital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Marx approach the question of studying capitalism?
2. What conditions made Russia a good candidate for a transition to communism?
3. Describe the relationship between Lenin and Trotsky.
4. What critique did Engels make of classical economics?
5. What is dialectical materialism?
6. Describe Lenin's temperament and methods.
7. Where did Marx and Engels apply their theories?
8. What reforms did the 1905 Soviet institute?
9. Describe Marx's relationship with Proudhon.
10. Describe Ferdinand Lassalle's career.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Engels, for one, had a conversion experience that brought him to communism. How did thinkers find communism as a solution to society's problems or questions? Were they converted? What had they believed before? For what questions or problems was communism the answer?
Essay Topic 2
Using Michelet's theory that government is the result of the pressures and forces and works of men, how would you explain our contemporary culture? What pressures and forces and works have created the culture in which we live?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effect of imprisonment and internal exile to Siberia on the thinking of the socialist thinkers who brought about the Russian Revolution. Why were they sent there? What did they learn there?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)