|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, Michelet's writings would reappear ___________.
2. How does Edmund Wilson describe Taine's approach to history?
3. Where did Michelet begin his work on the French Revolution?
4. Michelet believed the history of the 19th century was summed up by _________.
5. What did Jules Michelet teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
2. What was Renan's view of society?
3. How were Owen's communes organized?
4. Describe Babeuf's early career.
5. What does Edmund Wilson say about communes in America?
6. Describe Taine's career after the Commune was founded in 1871.
7. Describe Marx's education and upbringing.
8. What did Jules Michelet discover in the work of Giavanni Vico?
9. What was Michelet's later career like?
10. Describe the evolution of Marx's philosophical thinking.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which thinkers would have been satisfied with the Russian Revolution as the fulfillment of their work? Which thinkers would have been horrified? Explain how three philosophers' work would have been fulfilled or betrayed by the Communist Revolution.
Essay Topic 2
Using Michelet's method of looking at paradoxes in a culture, can you say that there was a moment when the Russian Revolution became inevitable as the choice people would make in response to the paradoxes or contradictions of their times? What forces had been held in paradoxical stability that were now resolved or translated into another relation?
Essay Topic 3
What internal conflicts did communism have to suppress in order to take its place as the dominant ideology following the Russian Revolution? What splinter groups or secondary ideologies were competing with Lenin's vision?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)