|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Michelet's relationship with Marx and Engels?
2. How does Edmund Wilson describe Anatole France?
3. What organization did Michelet want to create?
4. According to the author, Michelet's writings demonstrate _____________.
5. What does Edmund Wilson say about the French artists' and intellectuals' engagement with politics after Louis Bonaparte became Emperor in 1851?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Michelet's portrayal of society.
2. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
3. Describe Owen's background and career.
4. Describe Anatole France's career.
5. Describe Marx's time as the editor of a Cologne newspaper.
6. In what way did Taine distinguish between history and science?
7. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
8. How was Saint-Simon representative of the new breed of intellectual in the 19th-century?
9. Describe the evolution of Marx's philosophical thinking.
10. Describe Michelet's methods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What internal conflicts did communism have to suppress in order to take its place as the dominant ideology following the Russian Revolution? What splinter groups or secondary ideologies were competing with Lenin's vision?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of education in the development of the theories that led to the Russian Revolution? Were thinkers taught in schools? In communes? What organizations fostered the growth and spread of communism? Which organizations resisted the spread of the ideology with other ideology?
Essay Topic 3
How do the terms "proletariat" and "bourgeoisie" apply to American society? Do they map neatly to recognizable parties, or are there subcultures that do not fit in this binary? Is class struggle felt in America? If so, how?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)