|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund Wilson examine from the Middle Ages?
2. Edmund Wilson relates that Babeuf worked at __________.
3. How does Edmund Wilson describe Anatole France?
4. What was the French Enlightenment doctrine that inspired both Fourier and Owen?
5. What did Michelet write as a result of his reading in the Renaissance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Renan and Taine.
2. Describe Anatole France's career.
3. Why did Marx leave Germany?
4. Describe Taine's career after the Commune was founded in 1871.
5. What was Michelet's approach to narrating history?
6. What was Michelet's later career like?
7. Explain Michelet's portrayal of society.
8. What reforms did Saint-Simon want to institute?
9. Describe Michelet's politics.
10. What opinions were shared by Fourier and Owen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between socialism and communism? Where did communes become an integral part of the vision for Russia?
Essay Topic 2
Cite a contemporary class conflict that fits neatly into the dialectical materialism model of bourgeoisie and proletariat fighting. Choose one conflict that does not fit neatly into the model. Explain how the cases either fit or do not fit.
Essay Topic 3
Using Michelet's theory that government is the result of the pressures and forces and works of men, how would you explain our contemporary culture? What pressures and forces and works have created the culture in which we live?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)