|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, the success of Owen's community depended on ______________.
2. What did Fourier and Owen believe about the role of government?
3. What was Michelet's relationship with Marx and Engels?
4. What did La Scienza Nuova examine?
5. According to Edmund Wilson, Babeuf saw the center of power during the French Revolution as being ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Owen's communes organized?
2. Describe Michelet's politics.
3. What was Michelet's approach to narrating history?
4. What reforms did Saint-Simon want to institute?
5. What happened to Michelet as a result of his writing?
6. What was Michelet's later career like?
7. Describe Marx's time as the editor of a Cologne newspaper.
8. What does Edmund Wilson say about communes in America?
9. What was Renan's view of society?
10. Describe Marx's education and upbringing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize Edmund Wilson's values and his intellectual temperament? What part of this genealogy was interesting to Wilson? Judging by his material, his omissions, and his methods, what can you say about Wilson's style and his intellectual preoccupations?
Essay Topic 2
Engels, for one, had a conversion experience that brought him to communism. How did thinkers find communism as a solution to society's problems or questions? Were they converted? What had they believed before? For what questions or problems was communism the answer?
Essay Topic 3
Using Michelet's theory that government is the result of the pressures and forces and works of men, how would you explain our contemporary culture? What pressures and forces and works have created the culture in which we live?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)