|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jules Michelet teach?
2. Saint-Simon thought society should be based on ____________.
3. Why was Marx placed under police surveillance at the university?
4. What did La Scienza Nuova describe?
5. What did Michelet say about the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Taine's career after the Commune was founded in 1871.
2. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
3. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
4. What was Vico's effect on Michelet?
5. Describe Michelet's politics.
6. Describe Babeuf's early career.
7. Describe the evolution of Marx's philosophical thinking.
8. Explain Michelet's portrayal of society.
9. What opinions were shared by Fourier and Owen?
10. What was Michelet's later career like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Fourier's communes never progressed, while Owen's did? Was it simply a question of money, or were there other factors? How do you explain the fact that Owen's communes fell apart if he was gone? What do these things tell us about communist theory and practice?
Essay Topic 2
How do the terms "proletariat" and "bourgeoisie" apply to American society? Do they map neatly to recognizable parties, or are there subcultures that do not fit in this binary? Is class struggle felt in America? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Engels, for one, had a conversion experience that brought him to communism. How did thinkers find communism as a solution to society's problems or questions? Were they converted? What had they believed before? For what questions or problems was communism the answer?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)