|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Jules Michelet teaching?
2. What was Taine distancing himself from in his work?
3. How were Marx' early writings received?
4. Where did Marx learn about the ideas of Saint-Simon?
5. What French philosopher influenced both Fourier and Owen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Michelet as a result of his writing?
2. Describe Anatole France's career.
3. What work did Michelet do after he had read Vico, and how did Vico's influence come through in that work?
4. What opinions were shared by Fourier and Owen?
5. Describe Babeuf's early career.
6. What was Renan's view of society?
7. How was Saint-Simon representative of the new breed of intellectual in the 19th-century?
8. Describe Marx's education and upbringing.
9. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
10. What was Vico's effect on Michelet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What internal conflicts did communism have to suppress in order to take its place as the dominant ideology following the Russian Revolution? What splinter groups or secondary ideologies were competing with Lenin's vision?
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of education in the development of the theories that led to the Russian Revolution? Were thinkers taught in schools? In communes? What organizations fostered the growth and spread of communism? Which organizations resisted the spread of the ideology with other ideology?
Essay Topic 3
Edmund Wilson says that Comte d Saint-Simon represented the new kind of writer. Describe the transition taking place in Europe for which Saint-Simon was an emblem.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)