|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson describe Anatole France?
2. Prosper Enfantin was a follower of whom?
3. What did Michelet write after he had become the Conservator of the French Archives?
4. Why was Marx placed under police surveillance at the university?
5. Where did Michelet go during his travels through Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the evolution of Marx's philosophical thinking.
2. Describe Babeuf's early career.
3. What reforms did Saint-Simon want to institute?
4. In what way did Taine distinguish between history and science?
5. What was Michelet's later career like?
6. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
7. Describe Anatole France's career.
8. What happened to Michelet as a result of his writing?
9. What intellectual tradition had Michelet inherited from the Middle Ages?
10. Describe Michelet's methods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize Edmund Wilson's values and his intellectual temperament? What part of this genealogy was interesting to Wilson? Judging by his material, his omissions, and his methods, what can you say about Wilson's style and his intellectual preoccupations?
Essay Topic 2
Cite a contemporary class conflict that fits neatly into the dialectical materialism model of bourgeoisie and proletariat fighting. Choose one conflict that does not fit neatly into the model. Explain how the cases either fit or do not fit.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between socialism and communism? Where did communes become an integral part of the vision for Russia?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)