|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did La Scienza Nuova do for Michelet?
2. What did Michelet write as a result of his reading in the Renaissance?
3. How does Edmund Wilson characterize for Taine the difference between history and science?
4. What did La Scienza Nuova describe?
5. On what point did Marx agree with Engels when he first read his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinions were shared by Fourier and Owen?
2. What happened to Michelet as a result of his writing?
3. Describe Anatole France's career.
4. What was Michelet's approach to narrating history?
5. Compare Renan and Taine.
6. Describe Michelet's politics.
7. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
8. How was Saint-Simon representative of the new breed of intellectual in the 19th-century?
9. What was Vico's effect on Michelet?
10. In what way did Taine distinguish between history and science?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Michelet's method of looking at paradoxes in a culture, can you say that there was a moment when the Russian Revolution became inevitable as the choice people would make in response to the paradoxes or contradictions of their times? What forces had been held in paradoxical stability that were now resolved or translated into another relation?
Essay Topic 2
How do the terms "proletariat" and "bourgeoisie" apply to American society? Do they map neatly to recognizable parties, or are there subcultures that do not fit in this binary? Is class struggle felt in America? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
What changes in European and Russian cultures created ripe conditions for the socialist thought that led from Hegel to Michelet and, ultimately, to Lenin? Was it industrialism, or was it economic transition itself?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)