|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marx's fundamental critique of capitalists?
(a) They are fighting their own historical development into socialists.
(b) They do not deserve the workers' surplus value.
(c) They misspend the value they skim from the system.
(d) Their technology has alienated the workers from their labor.
2. How did Engels characterize classical economic theories?
(a) As mere meditations on capital, without grounds in reality.
(b) As mathematical abstractions out of touch with the finances of poverty.
(c) As obsolete relative to new technologies for production.
(d) As rationalizations for capitalists' greed.
3. In what project did Marx involve Proudhon?
(a) Collecting the letters of revolutionaries.
(b) Organizing workers into collectives.
(c) A correspondence to keep communists in touch with one another.
(d) Publishing young socialist philosophers.
4. What was the state of the Russian intelligentsia in the end of the 19th century?
(a) Decadent and disconnected.
(c) Fervent with revolutionary rhetoric.
5. Where did Trotsky go after he escaped from Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson characterize Marx's view of Das Kapital?
2. How does Edmund Wilson describe Ferdinand Lassalle?
3. Marx began to work with Proudhon, who had written _____________.
4. Where was Engels working while he and Marx were writing articles together?
5. What did Marx and Engels combine with the goals of the utopian socialists?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the theory of dialectical materialism by Marx and Engels reflect Hegel's influence?
2. What work did Engels have to finish after Marx died?
3. Describe Marx's relationship with Proudhon.
4. Why, according to Trotsky, did the 1905 Soviet fail?
5. How did Marx and Engels describe the stages of economic development?
6. What defined the views of Marx and Engels on international relationships between nations?
7. How was Engels brought to socialism?
8. What effect did Marx have on Engels?
9. Describe Lenin's relationship with his wife.
10. Where did Marx and Engels apply their theories?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)