|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Trotsky try to influence the relationship between the Mensheviks and the Bolsheviks?
(a) He played them against each other.
(b) He tried to help the Bolsheviks incorporate the Mensheviks.
(c) He tried to reconcile them.
(d) He tried to get them both to accept Lenin's leadership.
2. What made Marx and Engels pioneers in their field?
(a) The internationalism in their work.
(b) The combination of a theory of history and a theory of economics.
(c) The prophecy of a workers' state.
(d) The inclusion of technological innovation in their predictions.
3. How does Edmund Wilson characterize Bakunin's career?
(a) He became a close ally of Marx's and was responsible for spreading Marx's ideas internationally.
(b) He made a name for himself as the actor who would fulfill Marx's prophecies.
(c) He spent his life trying to be part of revolutions in Europe.
(d) He wrote extensively, but he never participated in a political movement.
4. According to Marxist economics, what kind of value does the worker create?
(a) Moral value.
(b) Historical value.
(c) Social value.
(d) Surplus value.
5. What affect did Lassalle have on the relationship between Marx and Engels?
(a) He clarified their differences.
(b) He strained it.
(c) He brought them closer together.
(d) He played them against each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Engels converted to in Cologne?
2. In what project did Marx involve Proudhon?
3. What industrial facility did Engels grow up across the river from?
4. How do Marx and Engels describe the bourgeoisie?
5. Marx's study of economics contains a discrepancy because he included _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Engels brought to socialism?
2. Describe Lenin's temperament and methods.
3. Describe the relationship between Lenin and Trotsky.
4. How does Edmund Wilson say Marx thought about Das Kapital?
5. Why, according to Trotsky, did the 1905 Soviet fail?
6. How did Marx ultimately find Engels?
7. What was Bakunin's relationship with Marx?
8. What was Marx' standard for saying that the proletariat and bourgeoisie moralities are opposed to each other?
9. What critique did Engels make of classical economics?
10. How did Marx approach the question of studying capitalism?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)