|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Trotsky place his first political sympathies?
(a) With the intellectuals.
(b) With the Populists.
(c) With the Tsar.
(d) With the Communists.
2. The "Communist Manifesto" by Marx and Engel wanted to end ____________.
(a) Appropriation of land.
(b) The right of inheritance.
(c) State run transportation.
(d) Free education for children and workers.
3. According to Marxist economics, what kind of value does the worker create?
(a) Historical value.
(b) Social value.
(c) Moral value.
(d) Surplus value.
4. How do Marx and Engels describe the proletariat?
(a) As the emergent institution.
(b) As the next usurpers.
(c) As the anti-thesis.
(d) As an eternal principle of society.
5. What was Trotsky's role in the early years of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He plotted with the Tsar's loyalists against the regime.
(b) He spurred the revolutionaries to excesses.
(c) He was a vocal critic of the Revolution.
(d) He helped implement the regime's policies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Trotsky try to influence the relationship between the Mensheviks and the Bolsheviks?
2. According to Marx, what kind of labor do machines contain?
3. According to Edmund Wilson's account, why didn't Marx and Engels consider Russia as a site of the first revolution?
4. According to Trotsky, why did the 1905 revolt fail?
5. Where did the "dialectic" in dialectic materialism come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Marx' engagement with the Workers' Associations by the time Das Kapital was finished?
2. What is dialectical materialism?
3. What are the ten points addressed in the Communist Manifesto?
4. What defined the views of Marx and Engels on international relationships between nations?
5. Describe the relationship between Lenin and Trotsky.
6. What effect did Marx have on Engels?
7. What reforms did the 1905 Soviet institute?
8. How did the theory of dialectical materialism by Marx and Engels reflect Hegel's influence?
9. Describe Ferdinand Lassalle's career.
10. How does dialectical materialism correlate to economic phenomena?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)