|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund Wilson say Marx discovered through his work with the International Working Men's Association?
(a) The laws of economics were truly independent of nation or industry.
(b) As long as workers had subsistence wages, they could be pacified.
(c) Workers did not care about the historical process.
(d) The historical movement toward a workers' state was progressing.
2. How did Lenin differ from the German Marxists?
(a) He preached reconciliation with the bourgeoisie as a method of bringing about the workers' state.
(b) He felt that historical processes required intervention.
(c) He thought that historical processes could only be accomplished by consensus.
(d) He simply waited for historical processes to accomplish themselves.
3. What did Marx and Engels combine with the goals of the utopian socialists?
(a) Goethe's theory of basic building blocks of life.
(b) Darwin's theory of evolution.
(c) Hegel's theory of organic development.
(d) Emerson's theory of self-reliance and consolation.
4. How do Marx and Engels describe the bourgeoisie?
(a) As the most recent usurpers.
(b) As the thesis.
(c) As the dominant institution.
(d) As an eternal principle of society.
5. How did Marx and Engels characterize capitalism?
(a) As evidence of man's inhumanity to man.
(b) As the perfect system for expressing human creativity.
(c) As a stage on the way toward Communism.
(d) As the modern evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the "dialectic" in dialectic materialism come from?
2. Describe Lenin's relationship with his wife?
3. Where did Trotsky place his first political sympathies?
4. What was Engels converted to in Cologne?
5. According to Marxist economics, what kind of value does the worker create?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marx's relationship with Proudhon.
2. What work did Engels have to finish after Marx died?
3. How does dialectical materialism correlate to economic phenomena?
4. What was Bakunin's relationship with Marx?
5. Where did Marx and Engels apply their theories?
6. What effect did Marx have on Engels?
7. How was Engels brought to socialism?
8. Describe the relationship between Lenin and Trotsky.
9. What defined the views of Marx and Engels on international relationships between nations?
10. Describe Ferdinand Lassalle's career.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)