|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does stability come from in dialectic materialism?
(a) The consensus among involved parties.
(b) The seizure of power by a faction that can hold it.
(c) The fusion of thesis and antithesis.
(d) The emergence of a new power.
2. How do Marx and Engels describe the proletariat?
(a) As the anti-thesis.
(b) As the next usurpers.
(c) As an eternal principle of society.
(d) As the emergent institution.
3. How does Marx define labor?
(a) As just one agent of the earth's fulfillment in economic activity.
(b) As a force of nature.
(c) As a commodity.
(d) As the source of all value.
4. How does Edmund Wilson describe the relationship between Marx and Engels?
(a) Engels gave Marx intellectual seriousness and political zeal.
(b) Marx kept Engels from going stray.
(c) Engels gave Marx support.
(d) Marx gave Engels structure and inspiration.
5. What was Lassalle's relationship with the communists, according to Edmund Wilson's account?
(a) He built his career around an alternative to socialism.
(b) He was not accepted.
(c) He capitalized on their momentum.
(d) He worked closely with the communists, even though his goals were slightly different.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson describe Marx and Engels' doctrine for intervention in human affairs?
2. What were the Soviets NOT calling for in 1905?
3. Where did Friedrich Engels grow up?
4. In what field was Lenin's training?
5. What thinker did Marx return to after he broke with Proudhon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Trotsky, did the 1905 Soviet fail?
2. What effect did Marx have on Engels?
3. Why hadn't Marx and Engels thought that Russia would have the revolution they anticipated?
4. Describe the relationship between Lenin and Trotsky.
5. Describe the environment where Engels grew up.
6. How does dialectical materialism correlate to economic phenomena?
7. How did the theory of dialectical materialism by Marx and Engels reflect Hegel's influence?
8. Describe Lenin's temperament and methods.
9. What reforms did the 1905 Soviet institute?
10. What are the ten points addressed in the Communist Manifesto?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)