|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Marx and Engels trying to define after writing "The Condition of the Working Class in England"?
(a) A grounds for opposing the ruling classes.
(b) An excuse for starting a class war.
(c) Their own individual philosophies.
(d) A revolutionary moment.
2. When did Trotsky return to Russia after the 1905 revolt?
3. How does Edmund Wilson describe Marx's study of economics?
(a) As a study of capitalism.
(b) As a prophecy of socialism.
(c) As a prediction of communism.
(d) As a snapshot of Marx's moment.
4. Describe Trotsky's early relationship with Lenin.
(a) He fought to temper Lenin's totalitarian impulses.
(b) His enthusiasm spurred Lenin's revolutionary ambitions.
(c) He worked to popularize his ideas internationally.
(d) He stayed at his house, but he voted against him in the Second Congress.
5. Marx began to work with Proudhon, who had written _____________.
(a) A book treating property as a form of theft.
(b) Newspaper articles on the working poor.
(c) Political prophecies.
(d) A series of essays on capital.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what field was Lenin's training?
2. What did the Russians say at the 1905 Third Congress?
3. Marx's study of economics contains a discrepancy because he included _______.
4. Where did the "dialectic" in dialectic materialism come from?
5. What does Edmund Wilson say Marx discovered through his work with the International Working Men's Association?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does dialectical materialism correlate to economic phenomena?
2. What reforms did the 1905 Soviet institute?
3. How did Marx ultimately find Engels?
4. What work did Engels have to finish after Marx died?
5. How does Edmund Wilson say Marx thought about Das Kapital?
6. How did Marx approach the question of studying capitalism?
7. What conditions made Russia a good candidate for a transition to communism?
8. How did Marx and Engels describe the stages of economic development?
9. Describe Marx's relationship with Proudhon.
10. What was Marx' engagement with the Workers' Associations by the time Das Kapital was finished?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)