|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund Wilson say about the French artists' and intellectuals' engagement with politics after Louis Bonaparte became Emperor in 1851?
(a) They were not interested.
(b) They wanted to preserve the old feudal system of patronage.
(c) They wanted to create their own republic.
(d) They were deeply committed to fighting for the workers.
2. How old was Babeuf during the Revolution?
3. According to the author, Saint-Simon viewed society's goals as changing ______________.
(a) From war for conquest to war for annihilation.
(b) From communal power to individual power.
(c) From community and church to production and consumption.
(d) From production and consumption to war and conquest.
4. What position did Marx take in 1842?
(a) Investigative reporter.
(b) Editor-in-chief of a newspaper.
(c) Political activist.
(d) Editor of a radical magazine.
5. What were Michelet's other books like after his History of France?
(a) Longer, and more detailed.
(b) Longer, and more confusing.
(c) Smaller, but more detailed.
(d) Smaller, but more visionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, Michelet's writings would reappear ___________.
2. On what point did Marx agree with Engels when he first read his work?
3. What did La Scienza Nuova describe?
4. What did Taine study after 1871, when the Commune was established?
5. How does Michelet define the relations between the classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Vico's effect on Michelet?
2. What does Edmund Wilson say about communes in America?
3. What was Michelet's approach to narrating history?
4. What intellectual tradition had Michelet inherited from the Middle Ages?
5. Describe Marx's education and upbringing.
6. Describe Taine's career after the Commune was founded in 1871.
7. Describe Michelet's methods?
8. Why did Marx leave Germany?
9. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
10. Compare Renan and Taine.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)