|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Michelet write after he had become the Conservator of the French Archives?
(a) History of the Middle Ages.
(b) Roman History.
(c) The Insect.
(d) Introduction to Universal History.
2. What was the subject of Renan's The Future of Science?
(a) Philosophy in economics.
(b) Morality and faith in society.
(c) Conflict in scientific communities.
(d) Technology and science in religion.
3. Where did Robert Owen work?
(a) In a shipping company in Glasgow.
(b) In a mining town in Nottingham.
(c) In a textile mill in Manchester.
(d) In a factory in London.
4. Edmund Wilson relates that Babeuf worked at __________.
(a) Protecting the rich from the Revolution.
(b) Secularizing France.
(c) Promoting the Revolution.
(d) Attacking the church during the Revolution.
5. What was Taine distancing himself from in his work?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Saint-Simon's theory of history?
2. What was Michelet trying to develop when he discovered the Renaissance philosopher?
3. What was the French Enlightenment doctrine that inspired both Fourier and Owen?
4. What were Michelet's other books like after his History of France?
5. How long did the communist government last in Paris after Michelet had his stroke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were Owen's communes organized?
2. What was Renan's view of society?
3. What happened to Michelet as a result of his writing?
4. Describe Marx's time as the editor of a Cologne newspaper.
5. Describe Michelet's politics.
6. What work did Michelet do after he had read Vico, and how did Vico's influence come through in that work?
7. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
8. Describe Marx's education and upbringing.
9. In what way did Taine distinguish between history and science?
10. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)