|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Michelet's relationship with socialism?
(a) He preached it in poor neighborhoods.
(b) He condemned it.
(c) He prophesied it.
(d) He did not endorse it.
2. Why was Michelet suspended from his teaching post?
3. What did Michelet write after he had become the Conservator of the French Archives?
(a) Roman History.
(b) The Insect.
(c) History of the Middle Ages.
(d) Introduction to Universal History.
4. What did Taine study after 1871, when the Commune was established?
(a) Mysticism and spirituality.
(b) Science and religion.
(c) Philosophy and language.
(d) Politics and economics.
5. According to the author, what ended with the French Revolution?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what was the result of the French Revolution?
2. What made Michelet unique?
3. What Renaissance thinker did Michelet discover?
4. What was Marx's passion while he was studying law?
5. What character trait does Edmund Wilson see in both Fourier and Owen?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Taine distinguish between history and science?
2. What happened to Michelet as a result of his writing?
3. What reforms did Saint-Simon want to institute?
4. Describe the evolution of Marx's philosophical thinking.
5. What work did Michelet do after he had read Vico, and how did Vico's influence come through in that work?
6. How was Saint-Simon representative of the new breed of intellectual in the 19th-century?
7. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
8. What does Edmund Wilson say about communes in America?
9. What was Michelet's approach to narrating history?
10. What opinions were shared by Fourier and Owen?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)