|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Edmund Wilson, Saint-Simon represented______________.
(a) The bourgeoisie.
(b) The poor.
(c) The new kind of writer.
(d) The ancien regime.
2. According to the author, Michelet's writings would reappear ___________.
(a) In Freud.
(b) In Darwin.
(c) In Marcuse.
(d) In Marx.
3. How does Edmund Wilson describe Taine's approach to history?
4. What was Michelet's relationship with socialism?
(a) He preached it in poor neighborhoods.
(b) He did not endorse it.
(c) He prophesied it.
(d) He condemned it.
5. What did Taine believe about the French Revolution?
(a) It was the beginning of the Communist Revolution.
(b) It was evidence of a workers' state coming into existence.
(c) It was evidence of corrections taking place.
(d) It would end in totalitarianism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson describe Anatole France?
2. How were Marx' early writings received?
3. Marx wrote his doctoral thesis on ___________.
4. What organization did Michelet want to create?
5. What does Edmund Wilson say about the French artists' and intellectuals' engagement with politics after Louis Bonaparte became Emperor in 1851?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Michelet as a result of his writing?
2. Describe Taine's career after the Commune was founded in 1871.
3. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
4. What did Jules Michelet discover in the work of Giavanni Vico?
5. Explain Michelet's portrayal of society.
6. How were Owen's communes organized?
7. What work did Michelet do after he had read Vico, and how did Vico's influence come through in that work?
8. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
9. Describe Michelet's politics.
10. Describe Marx's time as the editor of a Cologne newspaper.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)