|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Saint-Simon's theory of history?
(a) A punctuated equilibrium.
(b) A cycle of development and destruction.
(c) A seething chaos run by the powerful.
(d) Waves of equilibrium and breakdown.
2. Where did Marx grow up?
3. How does Edmund Wilson describe Anatole France?
(a) As a Catholic.
(b) As a radical.
(c) As a racist.
(d) As a reformer.
4. Why was Michelet suspended from his teaching post?
5. According to the author, what was the result of the French Revolution?
(a) Wealth was concentrated in a few hands.
(b) The people acquired vast political power.
(c) The church acquired large amounts of land.
(d) Private property was abolished in many places.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Babeuf do when he got out of prison?
2. How does Edmund Wilson characterize for Taine the difference between history and science?
3. What made Michelet unique?
4. What did Michelet say about the French Revolution?
5. What did Fourier and Owen believed about wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michelet's politics.
2. What does Edmund Wilson say about communes in America?
3. How was Saint-Simon representative of the new breed of intellectual in the 19th-century?
4. What was Michelet's later career like?
5. Describe Owen's background and career.
6. Why did Marx leave Germany?
7. Describe the evolution of Marx's philosophical thinking.
8. What did Jules Michelet discover in the work of Giavanni Vico?
9. Describe Babeuf's early career.
10. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)