|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prosper Enfantin was a follower of whom?
(b) Fourier and Owens.
2. According to the author, what was the result of the French Revolution?
(a) Private property was abolished in many places.
(b) Wealth was concentrated in a few hands.
(c) The church acquired large amounts of land.
(d) The people acquired vast political power.
3. What was the French Enlightenment doctrine that inspired both Fourier and Owen?
(a) The concept man is corrupt and evil except for the church and government.
(b) The notion that man is fundamentally good, but is corrupted by institutions.
(c) The belief that man will always be at war with himself.
(d) That idea that man internalizes the tension between civilization and anarchy.
4. How does Edmund Wilson describe Anatole France?
(a) As a radical.
(b) As a Catholic.
(c) As a reformer.
(d) As a racist.
5. What does Edmund Wilson examine from the Middle Ages?
(a) The development of a theory of history.
(b) The development of a notion of humanity as a transcendent unity.
(c) The emergence of the notion that man could improve himself.
(d) The emergence of the idea of nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michelet said that the bourgeoisie __________________.
2. What was Marx's passion while he was studying law?
3. Where did Owen put his idealistic notions into practice?
4. What did Fourier and Owen believed about wealth?
5. Where did Robert Owen work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marx's time as the editor of a Cologne newspaper.
2. What did Michelet write about, and what was the effect of his writing?
3. Describe Anatole France's career.
4. What was Michelet's later career like?
5. What does Edmund Wilson say about communes in America?
6. What was Vico's effect on Michelet?
7. What reforms did Saint-Simon want to institute?
8. Describe Michelet's methods?
9. Describe the evolution of Marx's philosophical thinking.
10. What does Edmund Wilson describe as the result of the French Revolution?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)