|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marx's fundamental critique of capitalists?
(a) They misspend the value they skim from the system.
(b) Their technology has alienated the workers from their labor.
(c) They do not deserve the workers' surplus value.
(d) They are fighting their own historical development into socialists.
2. Where did the "dialectic" in dialectic materialism come from?
3. Where did Lenin meet his future wife?
(a) In London.
(b) In Siberia.
(c) In Berlin.
(d) In Zurich.
4. What was Lassalle's relationship with the communists, according to Edmund Wilson's account?
(a) He was not accepted.
(b) He built his career around an alternative to socialism.
(c) He worked closely with the communists, even though his goals were slightly different.
(d) He capitalized on their momentum.
5. How does Edmund Wilson describe the relationship between Marx and Engels?
(a) Engels gave Marx intellectual seriousness and political zeal.
(b) Engels gave Marx support.
(c) Marx kept Engels from going stray.
(d) Marx gave Engels structure and inspiration.
6. According to Marxist economics, what kind of value does the worker create?
(a) Historical value.
(b) Moral value.
(c) Social value.
(d) Surplus value.
7. How do Marx and Engels describe a socialist society?
(a) As the end of economics.
(b) As the synthesis of bourgeoisie and proletariat.
(c) As the next thesis, which will create a new anti-thesis.
(d) As the humanization of industrialism.
8. How did Marx and Engels view their theory of history?
(a) They saw it as one model among many.
(b) They never doubted it would succeed.
(c) They knew it was a fantasy.
(d) They wondered whether they had underestimated the greed of the lower classes.
9. How did Engels characterize classical economic theories?
(a) As obsolete relative to new technologies for production.
(b) As mere meditations on capital, without grounds in reality.
(c) As rationalizations for capitalists' greed.
(d) As mathematical abstractions out of touch with the finances of poverty.
10. When did Marx finish the first volume of Das Kapital?
11. In what field was Lenin's training?
(a) Political science.
12. How did Trotsky try to influence the relationship between the Mensheviks and the Bolsheviks?
(a) He tried to get them both to accept Lenin's leadership.
(b) He tried to help the Bolsheviks incorporate the Mensheviks.
(c) He played them against each other.
(d) He tried to reconcile them.
13. How does Edmund Wilson describe Marx's study of economics?
(a) As a prediction of communism.
(b) As a snapshot of Marx's moment.
(c) As a study of capitalism.
(d) As a prophecy of socialism.
14. What were Marx and Engels trying to define after writing "The Condition of the Working Class in England"?
(a) An excuse for starting a class war.
(b) Their own individual philosophies.
(c) A revolutionary moment.
(d) A grounds for opposing the ruling classes.
15. Where was Engels working while he and Marx were writing articles together?
(a) In an exchange in Zurich.
(b) In a mill in Manchester.
(c) In a publisher's house in Berlin.
(d) In a factory in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson describe Ferdinand Lassalle?
2. What did Marx and Engels combine with the goals of the utopian socialists?
3. Who converted Engels in Cologne?
4. What was Marx's relationship with Engels after the 1850s?
5. According to Edmund Wilson, how did Marx and Engels see history?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)