|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson describe the relationship between Marx and Engels?
(a) Engels gave Marx support.
(b) Marx gave Engels structure and inspiration.
(c) Engels gave Marx intellectual seriousness and political zeal.
(d) Marx kept Engels from going stray.
2. How does Marx define labor?
(a) As a commodity.
(b) As a force of nature.
(c) As just one agent of the earth's fulfillment in economic activity.
(d) As the source of all value.
3. What did Marx and Engels combine with the goals of the utopian socialists?
(a) Emerson's theory of self-reliance and consolation.
(b) Hegel's theory of organic development.
(c) Darwin's theory of evolution.
(d) Goethe's theory of basic building blocks of life.
4. Why did Marx break with Proudhon?
(a) He no longer agreed with him.
(b) He found gaps in Proudhon's logic.
(c) He disliked Proudhon as a person.
(d) He doubted Proudhon's commitment to a revolution.
5. According to Edmund Wilson, how did Marx and Engels see history?
(a) As a progression toward human liberty.
(b) As a fulfillment of ancient prophecies.
(c) As a flight from original sin.
(d) As a series of oppositions between thesis and anti-thesis.
6. What was the state of the Russian intelligentsia in the end of the 19th century?
(a) Fervent with revolutionary rhetoric.
(b) Decadent and disconnected.
7. In what project did Marx involve Proudhon?
(a) A correspondence to keep communists in touch with one another.
(b) Organizing workers into collectives.
(c) Collecting the letters of revolutionaries.
(d) Publishing young socialist philosophers.
8. Describe Lenin's relationship with his wife?
(a) She worked at his side to organize the workers.
(b) She managed the distribution of his ideas.
(c) She helped build his name as a leader in any communist revolution.
(d) He kept her apart from his political activities.
9. According to Marxist economics, what kind of value does the worker create?
(a) Moral value.
(b) Surplus value.
(c) Social value.
(d) Historical value.
10. What was Trotsky's role in the early years of the Russian Revolution?
(a) He helped implement the regime's policies.
(b) He plotted with the Tsar's loyalists against the regime.
(c) He spurred the revolutionaries to excesses.
(d) He was a vocal critic of the Revolution.
11. What did Engels see as a sign of the workers' poor working conditions?
(a) Their religiousness.
(b) Their productivity.
(c) Their lack of gaiety.
(d) Their poverty.
12. The "Communist Manifesto" by Marx and Engel wanted to end ____________.
(a) Appropriation of land.
(b) State run transportation.
(c) The right of inheritance.
(d) Free education for children and workers.
13. What doctrine influenced both Marx and Engels?
(a) Michelet's doctrine of science.
(b) America's doctrine of democracy.
(c) Hegel's doctrine of historical change.
(d) Rousseau's doctrine of man's natural rights.
14. Marx began to work with Proudhon, who had written _____________.
(a) A book treating property as a form of theft.
(b) A series of essays on capital.
(c) Newspaper articles on the working poor.
(d) Political prophecies.
15. Where does stability come from in dialectic materialism?
(a) The emergence of a new power.
(b) The fusion of thesis and antithesis.
(c) The seizure of power by a faction that can hold it.
(d) The consensus among involved parties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who converted Engels in Cologne?
2. What work did Engels have to finish when Marx died?
3. When did Trotsky return to Russia after the 1905 revolt?
4. When did Marx finish the first volume of Das Kapital?
5. Where was Engels working while he and Marx were writing articles together?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)