|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of approach toward the study of economics did Marx take?
2. How did Marx review Proudhon's book on private property?
(a) With a book of his own.
(b) With a short, dismissive review.
(c) With a hagiography.
(d) With a glowing, appreciative review.
3. Where did Lenin meet his future wife?
(a) In Siberia.
(b) In London.
(c) In Zurich.
(d) In Berlin.
4. Who converted Engels in Cologne?
5. How did Trotsky try to influence the relationship between the Mensheviks and the Bolsheviks?
(a) He played them against each other.
(b) He tried to reconcile them.
(c) He tried to get them both to accept Lenin's leadership.
(d) He tried to help the Bolsheviks incorporate the Mensheviks.
6. What work did Engels have to finish when Marx died?
(a) Defining the master-slave dialectic.
(b) "The Condition of the Working Class in England."
(c) "Das Kapital."
(d) Explaining Marx's theory to the socialists.
7. What was the one condition on which Proudhon agreed to Marx's project?
(a) It would not become a religious doctrine.
(b) It would not result in political action.
(c) It would bring about the revolution.
(d) It would not put them at risk of being arrested.
8. What was Engels converted to in Cologne?
(c) Political activity.
9. Where did Lenin and Trotsky first meet?
(a) In Munich.
(b) In Moscow.
(c) In Berlin.
(d) In London.
10. How does Edmund Wilson describe Marx's study of economics?
(a) As a prediction of communism.
(b) As a study of capitalism.
(c) As a snapshot of Marx's moment.
(d) As a prophecy of socialism.
11. In what mental/emotional state did Lenin find the Russian intellectuals at the turn of the century?
12. Where did Lenin move after being released from prison?
13. How do Marx and Engels describe a socialist society?
(a) As the humanization of industrialism.
(b) As the end of economics.
(c) As the synthesis of bourgeoisie and proletariat.
(d) As the next thesis, which will create a new anti-thesis.
14. What was the state of the Russian intelligentsia in the end of the 19th century?
(a) Fervent with revolutionary rhetoric.
(c) Decadent and disconnected.
15. How does Edmund Wilson describe the relationship between Marx and Engels?
(a) Engels gave Marx support.
(b) Marx kept Engels from going stray.
(c) Engels gave Marx intellectual seriousness and political zeal.
(d) Marx gave Engels structure and inspiration.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Trotsky go after he escaped from Russia?
2. When did Lenin begin to read Marx?
3. According to the author, what does the "dialectic" means in "dialectic materialism"?
4. Where did Friedrich Engels grow up?
5. How do Marx and Engels describe the bourgeoisie?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)