|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the "Communist Manifesto treat education?
(a) It should be free.
(b) It should be political.
(c) It should proselytize for Communism.
(d) It should be apolitical.
2. Marx's study of economics contains a discrepancy because he included _______.
(a) Statistics in predicting class warfare.
(b) Morality in predicting economic behavior.
(c) Religion in making a mathematical argument.
(d) Pragmatism in defining group psychology.
3. According to Marx and Engels, from what did the bourgeoisie and the proletariat originate?
(a) From inheritance and poverty, respectively.
(b) From the end of feudalism and from modern society, respectively.
(c) From strength and weakness, respectively.
(d) From modern warfare and from industrial efficiencies, respectively.
4. What organization did Lassalle establish?
(a) International Working Men's Association.
(b) The German Communist Party.
(c) The Syndicate of Technical Workers and Artists.
(d) The General Union of German Workers.
5. Where did Trotsky place his first political sympathies?
(a) With the intellectuals.
(b) With the Populists.
(c) With the Communists.
(d) With the Tsar.
6. What action did Lassalle warn Bismarck against when they met?
(a) Suppressing the Communist Party.
(b) Imprisoning Communist leaders.
(c) Breaking strikes using the military.
(d) Suppressing the press.
7. What philosopher did Engels become interested in when he was in Berlin?
8. What did Marx and Engels combine with the goals of the utopian socialists?
(a) Goethe's theory of basic building blocks of life.
(b) Darwin's theory of evolution.
(c) Emerson's theory of self-reliance and consolation.
(d) Hegel's theory of organic development.
9. What affect did Lassalle have on the relationship between Marx and Engels?
(a) He played them against each other.
(b) He clarified their differences.
(c) He brought them closer together.
(d) He strained it.
10. What does Marx say a society based on class prevents?
(a) Class warfare.
(b) Solidarity between workers from different nations.
(c) Abuses of workers' rights.
(d) A recognition of universal rights.
11. Describe Trotsky's early relationship with Lenin.
(a) He stayed at his house, but he voted against him in the Second Congress.
(b) He fought to temper Lenin's totalitarian impulses.
(c) His enthusiasm spurred Lenin's revolutionary ambitions.
(d) He worked to popularize his ideas internationally.
12. What in particular appalled Engels about the workers' conditions?
(a) Their subservience to the masters.
(b) Their accidents and illnesses.
(c) Their cruelty to each other.
(d) Their lack of education.
13. How does Edmund Wilson describe Ferdinand Lassalle?
(a) As a disciple of Marx's.
(b) As an agent provocateur from the German government.
(c) As the spokesman for the next phase of German socialism.
(d) As the philosopher who was the final straw in the development of socialism.
14. What did Marx and Engels see as the end of capitalism?
(a) To militarize commerce.
(b) To get the proletariat to rebel.
(c) To reduce costs and increase efficiency.
(d) To suppress dissent.
15. What was the state of the Russian intelligentsia in the end of the 19th century?
(a) Fervent with revolutionary rhetoric.
(b) Decadent and disconnected.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Marxist economics, what kind of value does the worker create?
2. Where did Lenin and Trotsky first meet?
3. How does Edmund Wilson characterize Bakunin's career?
4. Where was Engels working while he and Marx were writing articles together?
5. Where did Lenin move after being released from prison?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)