|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Michelet believed the history of the 19th century was summed up by _________.
(a) Expansionism, militarism, and scientific progress.
(b) Industrialism, militarism, and socialism.
(c) Capitalism, militarism, and colonialism.
(d) Religion, technology, and militarism.
2. When was Jules Michelet teaching?
(a) The 1820s.
(b) The 1920s.
(c) The 1880s.
(d) The 1850s.
3. How did the "Communist Manifesto treat education?
(a) It should be political.
(b) It should be free.
(c) It should be apolitical.
(d) It should proselytize for Communism.
4. How does Edmund Wilson describe the relationship between Marx and Engels?
(a) Engels gave Marx intellectual seriousness and political zeal.
(b) Engels gave Marx support.
(c) Marx kept Engels from going stray.
(d) Marx gave Engels structure and inspiration.
5. According to the author, what was the result of the French Revolution?
(a) The people acquired vast political power.
(b) Wealth was concentrated in a few hands.
(c) Private property was abolished in many places.
(d) The church acquired large amounts of land.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx distinguish between the proletariat and the bourgeoisie in terms of morality?
2. What was Michelet trying to develop when he discovered the Renaissance philosopher?
3. Where does stability come from in dialectic materialism?
4. What value does Edmund Wilson attribute to Michelet's work?
5. How were Marx' early writings received?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)