|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 7-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson contrast Taine with Renan?
(a) Edmund Wilson saw Taine as concerned with the present.
(b) Edmund Wilson says that Taine was a less important thinker than Renan.
(c) Edmund Wilson says that Taine was not a serious historian.
(d) Edmund Wilson says that Taine is a more religious thinker than Renan.
2. What Renaissance thinker did Michelet discover?
(b) Da Vinci.
3. What was the subject of Renan's The Future of Science?
(a) Conflict in scientific communities.
(b) Technology and science in religion.
(c) Morality and faith in society.
(d) Philosophy in economics.
4. Where did Michelet go during his travels through Europe?
5. What happened to Michelet's interest in nations?
(a) It became an interest in religions.
(b) It became an interest in empires.
(c) It became an interest in communities.
(d) It became an interest in individuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Michelet write as a result of his reading in the Renaissance?
2. How old was Anatole France at the time of the Commune?
3. According to the author, Michelet's writings demonstrate _____________.
4. What did Michelet say about the French Revolution?
5. According to the author, what happened to the bourgeoisie after the French Revolution?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)