|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the communist government last in Paris after Michelet had his stroke?
(a) Five months.
(b) Two and a half months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten months.
2. According to the author, Michelet's writings would reappear ___________.
(a) In Marcuse.
(b) In Marx.
(c) In Darwin.
(d) In Freud.
3. What value does Edmund Wilson attribute to Michelet's work?
(a) He described history from the perspective of the people living through it.
(b) He told the history of nations who lost wars but kept their culture intact.
(c) He told history from the poor people's perspective.
(d) He described the subterranean narrative driving history.
4. What did La Scienza Nuova examine?
(a) The factors that led to the development of societies.
(b) The inevitable lifecycle of imperial cultures.
(c) The factors that allowed republican nations to turn into empires.
(d) The factors that determined which species would survive.
5. What was the subject of Renan's The Future of Science?
(a) Philosophy in economics.
(b) Morality and faith in society.
(c) Technology and science in religion.
(d) Conflict in scientific communities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Michelet's interest in nations?
2. What were Michelet's other books like after his History of France?
3. What Renaissance thinker did Michelet discover?
4. What name was ultimately given to the line of thought Michelet developed?
5. What was Michelet's relationship with socialism?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)