|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 5-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Michelet's interest in nations?
(a) It became an interest in empires.
(b) It became an interest in individuals.
(c) It became an interest in communities.
(d) It became an interest in religions.
2. What made Michelet unique?
(a) He injected his own feelings into his historical narrative.
(b) He saw the interrelatedness of all life.
(c) He wrote in the language of the ordinary man.
(d) He described the underlying unity of historical themes.
3. What did La Scienza Nuova examine?
(a) The factors that determined which species would survive.
(b) The factors that allowed republican nations to turn into empires.
(c) The inevitable lifecycle of imperial cultures.
(d) The factors that led to the development of societies.
4. What does Edmund Wilson examine from the Middle Ages?
(a) The development of a notion of humanity as a transcendent unity.
(b) The development of a theory of history.
(c) The emergence of the idea of nations.
(d) The emergence of the notion that man could improve himself.
5. What organization did Michelet want to create?
(a) A European army to keep workers in line.
(b) An international monetary fund.
(c) A congress of industrial leaders.
(d) An armed peace league.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Michelet write about beginning in 1843?
2. What was Michelet's relationship with socialism?
3. What was Michelet trying to develop when he discovered the Renaissance philosopher?
4. What language did Michelet NOT read?
5. What did Jules Michelet teach?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)