|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 15-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edmund Wilson characterize Marx's view of Das Kapital?
(a) He says that Marx saw it as a new testament in Christian religion.
(b) He says that Marx saw it as a rebellion against his parents' culture.
(c) He says that Marx saw it as monument to workers' sufferings.
(d) He says that Marx saw it as a work of art.
2. How does Edmund Wilson contrast Taine with Renan?
(a) Edmund Wilson says that Taine was a less important thinker than Renan.
(b) Edmund Wilson says that Taine is a more religious thinker than Renan.
(c) Edmund Wilson saw Taine as concerned with the present.
(d) Edmund Wilson says that Taine was not a serious historian.
3. How did Engels characterize classical economic theories?
(a) As obsolete relative to new technologies for production.
(b) As mere meditations on capital, without grounds in reality.
(c) As rationalizations for capitalists' greed.
(d) As mathematical abstractions out of touch with the finances of poverty.
4. Who converted Engels in Cologne?
5. How does Marx distinguish between the proletariat and the bourgeoisie in terms of morality?
(a) He says that the proletariat acknowledges a universal morality, but the bourgeoisie invents its own.
(b) He says that the proletariat determines the bourgeoisie's morality based on what the bourgeoisie is afraid of.
(c) He says that what is right for one class is not right for the other.
(d) He says that the bourgeoisie's power subjects the proletariat to the bourgeoisie's morals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Friedrich Engels grow up?
2. What was Engels converted to in Cologne?
3. How does Edmund Wilson characterize for Taine the difference between history and science?
4. What did Taine study after 1871, when the Commune was established?
5. What does Edmund Wilson say about the French artists' and intellectuals' engagement with politics after Louis Bonaparte became Emperor in 1851?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)