|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Ofer return on leave while in the army?
2. What did Ora pray for when she becomes pregnant a second time?
3. Who promises his wife to take a trip to Israel?
4. From where does Ilan say he has come to collect classified information?
5. Of what is Avram convinced when he begins writing to Ora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Avram tell Ora about what Ofer means to him and what does she do as he is talking?
2. How long did it take Ofer to make a bed and what did he do with it?
3. What does Ora wonder about Ofer and the war what did Ofer do that was hard for Ora to handle?
4. How does Ora feel when she returns from the store and what does she say about Ofer?
5. What did Ora do when she canceled with a patient and left her office?
6. What does Avram tell Ora about being on the trail with her and what is her concern?
7. How does Ora feel about Ofer forgetting a man in a freezer, what does Illan do about her reaction?
8. What does Avram say when Ora tells him about Ilan teaching Ofer words and what is Ora's reaction to his words?
9. What did Avram begin to do after he and Ora got out of isolation and what did he think about Ilan and Ora?
10. How does Ora find out why the doctor wrote in her notebook and why did he do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "To the End of the Land"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "To the End of the Land" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "To the End of the Land" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "To the End of the Land", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "To the End of the Land". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)