|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Ora and Avram resting when this section opens?
2. What does Ilan say about himself in relation to females?
3. What does Ora say she always wished she had?
4. What does Ora continue to tell Avram?
5. What does Avram say will always protect Ofer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ora find out why the doctor wrote in her notebook and why did he do it?
2. What fascinates Avram about Ofer and what did Ofer do when he was sixteen?
3. How long did it take Ofer to make a bed and what did he do with it?
4. What did Ilan wonder about with Ofer and Avram and what is Ora's response? How do they feel about raising Ofer?
5. What does Avram ask about his mother's house, and what is Ora's response?
6. How does Avram feel when Ora returns from the store and what does he think about?
7. Why does Avram startle Ora as she is writing, what does he ask and what is her reply?
8. What does Avram realize about the trip he is on?
9. What does Ora recall about Avram and making love and swimming in a lake?
10. How does Avram distract Ora from her memories and what does Ora realize when he does distract her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Ora says Avram is her soul mate and yet she marries Ilan.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "To the End of the Land". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "To the End of the Land" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "To the End of the Land" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Avram. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ora. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ilan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
"To the End of the Land" belongs to the psychological novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a dramatic novel and a psychological novel?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)