|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ora pray for when she becomes pregnant a second time?
2. Who toasts Adam on his birthday when the family goes to an expensive restaurant?
3. Where does Avram try to distract Ora from talking about Ofer by telling her about the Indian restaurant in which he worked?
4. What does Ofer whisper to Ora?
5. Who does Ora decide to apologize to when she gets home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ilan wonder about with Ofer and Avram and what is Ora's response? How do they feel about raising Ofer?
2. Why did Avram jump from a tree, what did Ora say to him and his soul and what did Ilan tell Avram about Ora loving him?
3. What does Ora say to Ilan about leaving when she is pregnant with Ofer and what is his answer?
4. What fascinates Avram about Ofer and what did Ofer do when he was sixteen?
5. What does Avram tell Ora about what Ofer means to him and what does she do as he is talking?
6. What does Ora wonder about Ofer and the war what did Ofer do that was hard for Ora to handle?
7. What does Ora recall about the argument she and Ofer had about killing?
8. Where did Ora get Ofer's name and what does Ora feel about having daughters?
9. What did Avram begin to do after he and Ora got out of isolation and what did he think about Ilan and Ora?
10. How does Avram distract Ora from her memories and what does Ora realize when he does distract her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "To the End of the Land"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "To the End of the Land" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "To the End of the Land" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "To the End of the Land", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "To the End of the Land". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "To the End of the Land". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of relationships in "To the End of the Land". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Analyze the relationships among the major characters, answering such questions as: Is the relationship healthy or dysfunctional; how important is the relationship to those who are a part of that relationship; discuss the relationship between Avram and Ofer--is it a relationship? Why or why not.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "To the End of the Land". Why is the possibility of death so close to the surface of the characters' thoughts? What kinds of death are possible? How do you think characters are impacted by the possibility of sudden death in a country torn by war and terrorism?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)