|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Avram restless?
2. What does Ilan admit fearing?
3. Why does Ora think Ofer gives up being a vegetarian?
4. Why is Ora disappointed when Avram lets her go?
5. What does Avram suddenly announce about Ofer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Avram begin to do after he and Ora got out of isolation and what did he think about Ilan and Ora?
2. What did Ora do when she canceled with a patient and left her office?
3. What did Ilan do when Avram was missing?
4. How does Avram distract Ora from her memories and what does Ora realize when he does distract her?
5. Where did Ora get Ofer's name and what does Ora feel about having daughters?
6. What does Ora say to Ilan about leaving when she is pregnant with Ofer and what is his answer?
7. How does Ora find out why the doctor wrote in her notebook and why did he do it?
8. How does Ora feel when she returns from the store and what does she say about Ofer?
9. What does Avram tell Ora about what Ofer means to him and what does she do as he is talking?
10. What does Avram realize about the trip he is on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "To the End of the Land" is successful as a learning tool? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of David Grossman's novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "To the End of the Land". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Grossman chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Grossman chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Grossman's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Grossman use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "To the End of the Land" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "To the End of the Land" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written soley for entertainment versus one that is meant to be thought provoking? Why or why not? Would most readers consider "To the End of the Land" a successful novel?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)