|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ora catches a bus to the end of the line and then back, what terrifies her?
2. Where are Ora and Avram resting when this section opens?
3. From where does Ilan say he has come to collect classified information?
4. Who does Ora ask about the incident with the old man?
5. Where does Ora go at 5:30 am?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Avram startle Ora as she is writing, what does he ask and what is her reply?
2. What does Avram tell Ora about what Ofer means to him and what does she do as he is talking?
3. What does Ora recall about Avram and making love and swimming in a lake?
4. Where did Ora and Ilan live when raising their sons, what did Adam do when he turned eighteen and what did Ofer do at the same time?
5. What does Avram tell Ora about being on the trail with her and what is her concern?
6. How does Ora feel about Ofer forgetting a man in a freezer, what does Illan do about her reaction?
7. What did Ilan wonder about with Ofer and Avram and what is Ora's response? How do they feel about raising Ofer?
8. What does Ora wonder about Ofer and the war what did Ofer do that was hard for Ora to handle?
9. What does Ora worry about when she realizes Ofer is sleeping?
10. What does Avram ask about his mother's house, and what is Ora's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "To the End of the Land" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "To the End of the Land" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "To the End of the Land" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written soley for entertainment versus one that is meant to be thought provoking? Why or why not? Would most readers consider "To the End of the Land" a successful novel?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "To the End of the Land" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Avram. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ora. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ilan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)