|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Avram think of as being snobbish?
2. What leaves him exhausted?
3. What does Avram ask Ora when he wakes?
4. What does Avram like that they have not done?
5. How old is she in the flashback in the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sami say when he returns to the phone?
2. How does Sami react when Ora drags Avram to the car?
3. What makes Ora realize she has to make amends with Sami?
4. How does Ofer try to reach out to his mother and what is her thought about their interaction?
5. What did Ora do after she found out Avram knew about Adam and what does Avram say about a nurse in the hospital? What is Ora's response to his story about the nurse?
6. What does Sami admit about the young boy and where do they take him?
7. What does Ora recall about the first time Ilan left her and conceiving Adam?
8. Why does Ora want Sami to make the trip and how does she try to ease the tension as they are driving?
9. What does Ora say about Ada and how does Avram respond?
10. Why is Ora annoyed and what does Avram like about their meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "To the End of the Land" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "To the End of the Land" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written soley for entertainment versus one that is meant to be thought provoking? Why or why not? Would most readers consider "To the End of the Land" a successful novel?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "To the End of the Land" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Avram. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ora. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Ilan. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Ora says Avram is her soul mate and yet she marries Ilan.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "To the End of the Land". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "To the End of the Land" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)