|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rami?
2. Where does Sami say he is taking Rami?
3. What does she wonder when he yells at her the next night?
4. What does Sami have to do before picking up Ora?
5. What does Ora feel happens when she writes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sami admit about the young boy and where do they take him?
2. What does he find the next night when he returns to her room and what do they do?
3. What makes Avram think he wants to marry Ora?
4. What does Ora say about Ada and how does Avram respond?
5. What happens when Ora is watching the news at 9 that night?
6. Who is with Sami when he arrives at Ora's home?
7. What does Ora recall about the first time Ilan left her and conceiving Adam?
8. Why does Ofer chastise his mother?
9. How does Sami react to driving Ora and Ofer and how does that make Ora feel?
10. What makes Ora realize she has to make amends with Sami?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"To the End of the Land" belongs to the psychological novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a dramatic novel and a psychological novel?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "To the End of the Land"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "To the End of the Land" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "To the End of the Land" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "To the End of the Land". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of relationships in "To the End of the Land". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Analyze the relationships among the major characters, answering such questions as: Is the relationship healthy or dysfunctional; how important is the relationship to those who are a part of that relationship; discuss the relationship between Avram and Ofer--is it a relationship? Why or why not.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "To the End of the Land". Why is the possibility of death so close to the surface of the characters' thoughts? What kinds of death are possible? How do you think characters are impacted by the possibility of sudden death in a country torn by war and terrorism?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)