|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Ofer chide Ora?
2. What does Ora feel happens when she writes?
3. How does the boy in the hospital during the war signal enemy planes?
4. What does Ora beg of Avram?
5. Why does Ora feel guilty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ora think upon first seeing Avram the night before?
2. What is Akiva doing when Ora and Avram meet him and what does he suggest to them? What is their response?
3. What makes Avram think he wants to marry Ora?
4. How does Sami react when Ora drags Avram to the car?
5. Who is with Sami when he arrives at Ora's home?
6. What does Ora tell Avram they are going to do and what is his response?
7. What makes Ora realize she has to make amends with Sami?
8. How does Ora feel about Avram's response to the answer in question #26 and what does he think about as he considers her question?
9. How does Sami react to driving Ora and Ofer and how does that make Ora feel?
10. Why is Ora annoyed and what does Avram like about their meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting is critical to understanding the conflicts of "To the End of the Land". Discuss the following:
1. Research the country of Israel and write an informative essay on what you think are three of the most important facts you learn that impact "To the End of the Land".
2. Can "To the End of the Land" take place in some other country during the same time and be as effective? Why or why not? What country (countries)?
3. Do you think any novel set in Israel would be strongly affected by the setting? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "To the End of the Land". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Grossman chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Grossman chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Grossman's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Grossman use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "To the End of the Land"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "To the End of the Land" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "To the End of the Land" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)