|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ora tell Avram they are going to do?
2. What color is everything in her dream?
3. Where does Ora say Adam is?
4. Who is Ada?
5. What leaves him exhausted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ora recall about the first time Ilan left her and conceiving Adam?
2. How does Ofer try to reach out to his mother and what is her thought about their interaction?
3. What makes Ora realize she has to make amends with Sami?
4. What does Ora say about Ada and how does Avram respond?
5. Why does Ofer chastise his mother?
6. Where do Ora and Ofer go when they get to the meeting point?
7. Why does he yell at her to be quiet and how does she react?
8. What does Sami ask Ora to conceal from Ilan?
9. What does Ora worry about concerning Avram, but what does she believe about him?
10. What does Ora do after they eat, what does Avram ask her and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "To the End of the Land" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "To the End of the Land"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "To the End of the Land" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "To the End of the Land" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "To the End of the Land"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "To the End of the Land" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "To the End of the Land" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)