|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, "Keeping Track," what is the process of narrowing, punishing, and controlling from the outside that too often passed for assessment?
2. What does Ayers suggest that teachers have to be if they do not want to lose their capacity for renewal and growth?
3. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," who suggested to "go into yourself"?
4. Who spent most of the summer designing a "core study" for students?
5. What do many teachers, according to Ayers, keep in a file cabinet or shelf that became part of a "museum"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ayers describe Zayd's pursuing of his "coming of age" ceremony?
2. Based on Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe why Zayd's project, a project focused on values, was an important hopeful approach to teaching.
3. According to Ayers, what are good schools?
4. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
5. Explain the themes of Fratney described by Ayers.
6. According to Ayers, how do teachers become students to their students?
7. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe Zayd's "coming of age" discoveries.
8. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," what did the second grade newsletter contain?
9. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
10. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," what did Sarah's mother discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayers had several core beliefs about learning and the purpose of school which influenced his classroom environment.
Part 1) Discuss Ayers beliefs on human development and constructing knowledge.
Part 2) Explain Ayers beliefs on the purpose of school and the responsibility of teachers and students.
Essay Topic 2
Ayers discussed culture and the many things culture was and was not.
Part 1) According to Ayers what was culture?
Part 2) Who did Ayers believe determined the culture of a community?
Part 3) What cultures did Ayers discuss in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Erickson, Piaget, and other psychologists have their beliefs on child development and behavior. Compare and contrast Erickson and Piaget's beliefs regarding child development.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)