|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does great teaching demand according to Ayers?
2. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," which college was referenced in a conversation Zelma participated in?
3. What is a fixed and unvarying oversimplified belief that carries negative undercurrents?
4. Who must be autobiographers and be authentic suggested by Ayers?
5. How many inhabitants spoke English as the native tongue in 1988, according to Chapter 4, "Building Bridges"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe why Zayd's project, a project focused on values, was an important hopeful approach to teaching.
2. How does Ayers suggest people meet the problem of guidelines and mandates?
3. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," what problems occurred when teachers tried to implement a new idea every day?
4. How did Ayers describe Zayd's pursuing of his "coming of age" ceremony?
5. According to Ayers, how do teachers become students to their students?
6. What does Ayers believe the fundamental curriculum question is?
7. According to Ayers, what is one argument that supported proponents of phonics?
8. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," what did the second grade newsletter contain?
9. What are some ways that teachers can keep track of student achievement according to Ayers?
10. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayers discussed culture and the many things culture was and was not.
Part 1) According to Ayers what was culture?
Part 2) Who did Ayers believe determined the culture of a community?
Part 3) What cultures did Ayers discuss in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Erickson, Piaget, and other psychologists have their beliefs on child development and behavior. Compare and contrast Erickson and Piaget's beliefs regarding child development.
Essay Topic 3
Lisa Delpit and June Jordan researched culture and how culture related to the classroom. Compare and contrast Delpit and Jordan's belief regarding culture and the classroom.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)