|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ayers suggests that who "resisted the idea that there is some ideal child with whom they would be brilliant; they must reject the idea of social circumstance"?
2. What occupation does Ayers say teachers must "take on" to understand children?
3. What does Ayers state is part of the intellectual challenge of teaching, in addition to knowing students?
4. What does Ayers say that people must have to promote change in the educational system?
5. How did deficiencies make Ayers feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, "Creating an Environment for Learning," what was found on the wall of Mr. Ayers classrooms?
2. Why did Aaron have trouble focusing as suggested by Ayers in Chapter 2, "Seeing the Student"?
3. In Chapter 2, "Seeing the Student," how did Ayers describe Chesa?
4. As stated by Ayers, why are people drawn to the teaching profession?
5. What does Ayers say that childhood is a time for?
6. According to Ayers, what is the framework of a daily lesson plan?
7. What did Carolyn Jackson suggest about what it means to be black in America?
8. According to Ayers, how do students describe teachers?
9. In Chapter 2, "Seeing the Student," describe the treasure hunt.
10. What did Ayers say the first step of a staff review required?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teachers choose to teach for many reasons.
Part 1) Why did Ayers choose to teach?
Part 2) Describe Ayers feelings on the state of education and how it affects the teacher.
Part 3) What reasons did Ayers state teachers begin to teach?
Essay Topic 2
According to Ayers, teaching was entombed in a myth. Ayers discussed twelve myths of teaching.
Part 1) Discuss three of the twelve myths Ayers addressed in the book.
Part 2) Why did these myths exist?
Part 3) How can one be sure these myths are not true?
Essay Topic 3
The word teaching can mean several things to different people.
Part 1) Describe the author's view on the words teacher and teaching.
Part 2) Explain Ayers's view on the "life in teaching."
Part 3) What did Ayers compare a "life in teaching" to?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)