|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ayers say followed Jose around like a shadow?
2. What did Ayers say died at an early age for too many young Americans?
3. Which child's father was active in the civil rights movement?
4. Who argued that "teachers can be aided in the difficult matter of moral choice if they can adopt an ethic of caring"?
5. What type of music was played at the detention center during work time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, "Seeing the Student," describe the treasure hunt.
2. According to Ayers, what does learning with students enact and demonstrate?
3. What pains does Ayers say teachers usually face?
4. As stated by Ayers, why are people drawn to the teaching profession?
5. In Chapter 2, "Seeing the Student," how did Ayers describe Chesa?
6. What reasons does Ayers give not to teach?
7. Why did Aaron have trouble focusing as suggested by Ayers in Chapter 2, "Seeing the Student"?
8. What can a teacher do to get parental involvement according to Ayers?
9. In the classroom described in Chapter 1, "Beginning, The Challenge of Teaching," what were students expected to do in the classroom?
10. What does Ayers say that childhood is a time for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teachers choose to teach for many reasons.
Part 1) Why did Ayers choose to teach?
Part 2) Describe Ayers feelings on the state of education and how it affects the teacher.
Part 3) What reasons did Ayers state teachers begin to teach?
Essay Topic 2
According to Ayers, teaching was entombed in a myth. Ayers discussed twelve myths of teaching.
Part 1) Discuss three of the twelve myths Ayers addressed in the book.
Part 2) Why did these myths exist?
Part 3) How can one be sure these myths are not true?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Ayers discussed how to become a great teacher. Ayers also discussed how the teacher's job is never finished.
Part 1) Do you agree with Ayers when he states "Teaching is never finished"? Explain.
Part 2) How did one become a "wonderful teacher"?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)