|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ayers say "cramped choices and strangled life chances for the children of the poor"?
2. What percentage of African American boys does Ayers say will spend some time in prison?
3. According to Ayers, what were many of Ayers's students when he began teaching?
4. What does Ayers say lesson plans typically begin with?
5. In which publication did Martha Gellhorn write a piece about loving our children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can a teacher do to get parental involvement according to Ayers?
2. In Chapter 1, "Beginning, The Challenge of Teaching," how did Jakob feel after learning to read?
3. How did Ayers build a laboratory for discovery and surprise?
4. What reasons does Ayers give not to teach?
5. What did Ayers say the first step of a staff review required?
6. According to Ayers, how do students describe teachers?
7. Describe the link between dropouts and literacy skills Ayers addressed in his research.
8. What are Ayers feelings about community?
9. What is the difference between the old and new edition of "To Teach: The Journey of a Teacher"?
10. According to Ayers, what is every child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erickson, Piaget, and other psychologists have their beliefs on child development and behavior. Compare and contrast Erickson and Piaget's beliefs regarding child development.
Essay Topic 2
Ayers discussed the success of Stokley Carmichael's Freedom School. Stokley Carmichael was very active in the Black Power movement.
Part 1) Discuss what Ayers said about the success of Freedom School?
Part 2) According to Ayers, what role did the Freedom School play in the life of students who attended Freedom Schools?
Essay Topic 3
Ayers displayed student work everywhere in his classroom. Students were often excited to see their work on Ayers's wall.
Part 1) Describe Ayers argument about well-designed classroom environments.
Part 2) How did hanging student work affect the environment in Ayers classroom?
Part 3) What impact did Ayers's displays have on his students?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)