|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do many teachers, according to Ayers, keep in a file cabinet or shelf that became part of a "museum"?
(a) Anecdotal records.
(c) Student work.
(d) Tape recordings.
2. How do students often meet the curriculum as suggested by Ayers?
(a) With indifference.
(d) With excitiment.
3. Ayers points out that __________________________________ is the most powerful predictor of how a child will do on a test.
(a) Past education experiences.
(b) School funding.
(c) Educational background of the teachers.
(d) Educational background of the parents.
4. What do educators become when "talk turned to skills" according to Ayers?
5. How does Ayers feel about standardized tests?
(a) Ayers believes standardized tests measure students accurately.
(b) Ayers enjoys taking standardized tests.
(c) Ayers supports the use of standardized tests.
(d) Ayers has been a life-long critic of standardized testing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ayers said that someone is required to lay the first plank for what?
2. According to Ayers in Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," what was the "work of life"?
3. Who was a beekeeper that often learned from the bees?
4. In Alex Haley's writing, whose coming of age ceremony did he record?
5. What type of questions make up the majority of the standardized test?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ayers suggest people meet the problem of guidelines and mandates?
2. According to Ayers, what is one argument that supported proponents of phonics?
3. What are the alternatives to standardized tests discussed by Ayers?
4. Explain the themes of Fratney described by Ayers.
5. According to Ayers, how do teachers become students to their students?
6. What are some ways that teachers can keep track of student achievement according to Ayers?
7. Describe Ayers's quest in teaching.
8. What are Ayers's feelings on standardized tests?
9. According to Ayers, what does culture include?
10. According to Ayers, what are good schools?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)