|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ayers, what are standardized tests?
(c) A great measurement tool.
2. What, as suggested by Ayers, is a matter of solidarity between subjects and human beings?
(a) Finding allies.
(b) Learning from experience.
(c) Linking consciousness to conduct.
3. What is an important window into a child and an essential part of any bridge's blueprint suggested by Ayers?
4. Ayers suggests that what is built on a base of knowledge about students?
(a) Outstanding schools.
(b) Outstanding parents.
(c) Outstanding learning.
(d) Outstanding teaching.
5. Who founded the Hull House?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ayers take away from a seven year old in the lunch room at P.S. 269?
2. What do many teachers, according to Ayers, keep in a file cabinet or shelf that became part of a "museum"?
3. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," which college was referenced in a conversation Zelma participated in?
4. How do students often meet the curriculum as suggested by Ayers?
5. Who argued that standardized achievement tests are problematic due to their "exaggerated importance"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ayers's feelings on standardized tests?
2. How did Ayers describe Zayd's pursuing of his "coming of age" ceremony?
3. Describe the corner Ayers's classroom where students would have had access to materials regarding "coming of age."
4. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," what problems occurred when teachers tried to implement a new idea every day?
5. According to Ayers, what does culture include?
6. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
7. What can't standardized tests measure?
8. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe Zayd's "coming of age" discoveries.
9. What are the alternatives to standardized tests discussed by Ayers?
10. What does Ayers believe the fundamental curriculum question is?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)