|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, "Mystery of Teaching," who told a remarkable story of learning to read as a subversive activity?
2. Who assigns numbers to textbooks linking books to "grade-level"?
(a) Textbook publishers.
(b) School Administrators.
(d) Textbook writers.
3. Who must be autobiographers and be authentic suggested by Ayers?
4. What did Ayers suggest should be the center of knowledge?
(c) Standardized tests.
(d) The child and the classroom.
5. What is an important window into a child and an essential part of any bridge's blueprint suggested by Ayers?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," which college was referenced in a conversation Zelma participated in?
2. What is a sophisticated and complex cognitive process as suggested in Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum"?
3. Ayers suggests that _____________ tears down walls?
4. In Chapter 6, "Keeping Track," what is the process of narrowing, punishing, and controlling from the outside that too often passed for assessment?
5. Ayers said that someone is required to lay the first plank for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some ways that teachers can keep track of student achievement according to Ayers?
2. How does Ayers suggest people meet the problem of guidelines and mandates?
3. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," what did Sarah's mother discuss?
4. According to Ayers, what are good schools?
5. Based on Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe why Zayd's project, a project focused on values, was an important hopeful approach to teaching.
6. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
7. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," what problems occurred when teachers tried to implement a new idea every day?
8. According to Ayers, what does culture include?
9. What are the alternatives to standardized tests discussed by Ayers?
10. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)