|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who assigns numbers to textbooks linking books to "grade-level"?
(a) Textbook writers.
(b) Textbook publishers.
(d) School Administrators.
2. What did Ayers suggest should be the center of knowledge?
(b) Standardized tests.
(c) The child and the classroom.
3. In what publication did Bernardina and Zayd read coverage of the Central Park rape?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Chicago Sun Times.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
4. According to Ayers, what are schools?
(a) Small places.
(b) Learning factories.
(c) Porous places.
(d) Large places.
5. Who argued that the basic model of curriculum and teaching was "not just mistaken and impossible, but bad in the sense of morally wrong"?
(a) John Holt.
(b) June Jordan.
(c) Denise Price.
(d) Gilbert Ryle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ayers states that what type of teacher engages youngsters, interacted with them, and drew energy from students?
2. In Chapter 7, "Mystery of Teaching," who told a remarkable story of learning to read as a subversive activity?
3. Who was one of William Ayers mentors?
4. What is a set of techniques and directions to be mastered discussed in Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching"?
5. What is a great motivator for student ceremonies according to Chapter 4, "Building Bridges"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ayers, what is one argument that supported proponents of phonics?
2. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," what did Sarah's mother discuss?
3. Explain the themes of Fratney described by Ayers.
4. According to Ayers, where do standardized tests push well-intentioned teachers and school leaders?
5. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe Zayd's "coming of age" discoveries.
6. What did Ayers mean when he linked "consciousness to conduct"?
7. What does Ayers say greatness in teaching requires?
8. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," what did the second grade newsletter contain?
9. Describe Ayers's quest in teaching.
10. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)