|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the root word for evaluation discussed in Chapter 6, "Keeping Track"?
2. How does Ayers feel about standardized tests?
(a) Ayers believes standardized tests measure students accurately.
(b) Ayers enjoys taking standardized tests.
(c) Ayers has been a life-long critic of standardized testing.
(d) Ayers supports the use of standardized tests.
3. As suggested in Chapter 6, "Keeping Track," who requires standardized tests to comply with state law?
(a) School district leaders.
4. In Alex Haley's writing, whose coming of age ceremony did he record?
(a) Kunta Kinte.
(c) Crazy Horse.
5. What did Ayers suggest should be the center of knowledge?
(a) Standardized tests.
(d) The child and the classroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who founded the Workshop Center at City College in New York?
2. Which group of people are naturally curious about their world they inhabit?
3. What does great teaching demand according to Ayers?
4. Who brought the culture of the Sioux people to life for Zayd?
5. How do students often meet the curriculum as suggested by Ayers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ayers describe Zayd's pursuing of his "coming of age" ceremony?
2. Describe the corner Ayers's classroom where students would have had access to materials regarding "coming of age."
3. What does Ayers believe the fundamental curriculum question is?
4. According to Ayers, how do teachers become students to their students?
5. Based on Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe why Zayd's project, a project focused on values, was an important hopeful approach to teaching.
6. What are Ayers's feelings on standardized tests?
7. According to Ayers, where do standardized tests push well-intentioned teachers and school leaders?
8. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
9. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
10. What are some ways that teachers can keep track of student achievement according to Ayers?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)