|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ayers, what consumes millions and millions of education dollars?
(a) Successful school districts.
(b) The testing industry.
(c) Textbook companies.
(d) Failing school districts.
2. What is a fixed and unvarying oversimplified belief that carries negative undercurrents?
(a) Regional stereotype.
(c) Cultural stereotypes.
(d) Regional prejudice.
3. Who was one of William Ayers mentors?
(a) June Jordan.
(b) John Holt.
(c) Gilbert Ryle.
(d) Denise Price.
4. What is a great motivator for student ceremonies according to Chapter 4, "Building Bridges"?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The parents.
(c) The other students.
(d) The audience.
5. How old was Zayd when the transformation of child to adult began?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a sophisticated and complex cognitive process as suggested in Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum"?
2. According to Ayers, what are standardized tests?
3. In Chapter 7, "Mystery of Teaching," who told a remarkable story of learning to read as a subversive activity?
4. Who argued that the basic model of curriculum and teaching was "not just mistaken and impossible, but bad in the sense of morally wrong"?
5. Who argued that good teachers incorporated all kinds of instructional strategies and are vigilant for "what works"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ayers, where do standardized tests push well-intentioned teachers and school leaders?
2. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
3. What can't standardized tests measure?
4. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
5. What are the alternatives to standardized tests discussed by Ayers?
6. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe Zayd's "coming of age" discoveries.
7. Describe Ayers's quest in teaching.
8. What does Ayers say greatness in teaching requires?
9. What are some ways that teachers can keep track of student achievement according to Ayers?
10. According to Ayers, how do teachers become students to their students?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)