|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ayers points out that __________________________________ is the most powerful predictor of how a child will do on a test.
(a) Educational background of the teachers.
(b) School funding.
(c) Educational background of the parents.
(d) Past education experiences.
2. In Alex Haley's writing, whose coming of age ceremony did he record?
(b) Kunta Kinte.
(c) Crazy Horse.
3. How old was Zayd when the transformation of child to adult began?
4. In Chapter 6, "Keeping Track," what is the process of narrowing, punishing, and controlling from the outside that too often passed for assessment?
5. Who must be autobiographers and be authentic suggested by Ayers?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ayers, what does good teaching demand?
2. Who argued that the basic model of curriculum and teaching was "not just mistaken and impossible, but bad in the sense of morally wrong"?
3. What city is La Escuela Fratney located?
4. Who argued that as soon as an actor believed she or he was "master of the part, rigor mortis is already set in"?
5. Ayers believes that what is more than pieces of information, more than subject matter, more even than the disciplines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the themes of Fratney described by Ayers.
2. According to Ayers, how do teachers become students to their students?
3. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe Zayd's "coming of age" discoveries.
4. What does Ayers believe the fundamental curriculum question is?
5. What are Ayers's feelings on standardized tests?
6. Describe the corner Ayers's classroom where students would have had access to materials regarding "coming of age."
7. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," what problems occurred when teachers tried to implement a new idea every day?
8. What are some ways that teachers can keep track of student achievement according to Ayers?
9. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
10. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)