|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who noted that experience and education were not the same thing?
2. Who believed that "human beings spent their lives weaving webs of significance"?
(a) Gilbert Ryle.
(b) June Jordan.
(c) Lisa Delpit.
(d) Gomer Pyle.
3. Who described an astonishing process while teaching a course "The Art of Black English"?
(a) June Jordan.
(b) Gilbert Ryle.
(c) John Holt.
(d) Lisa Delpit.
4. Who was a beekeeper that often learned from the bees?
(a) Sue Hubbell.
(b) Lillian Weber.
(c) John Holt.
(d) Alice Jefferson.
5. Who was a veteran teacher that decided each summer to do a sustained study on something the teacher did not understand?
(a) John Holt.
(b) Alice Jefferson.
(c) Joan Cenedella.
(d) Mara Sapon-Shevin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the root word for evaluation discussed in Chapter 6, "Keeping Track"?
2. What is a sophisticated and complex cognitive process as suggested in Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum"?
3. How many inhabitants spoke English as the native tongue in 1988, according to Chapter 4, "Building Bridges"?
4. Who founded the Workshop Center at City College in New York?
5. In Chapter 6, "Keeping Track," what is the process of narrowing, punishing, and controlling from the outside that too often passed for assessment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," what did Sarah's mother discuss?
2. What can't standardized tests measure?
3. What does Ayers say greatness in teaching requires?
4. Describe Ayers's quest in teaching.
5. According to Ayers, what are good schools?
6. Based on Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe why Zayd's project, a project focused on values, was an important hopeful approach to teaching.
7. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
8. What are the alternatives to standardized tests discussed by Ayers?
9. What does Ayers believe the fundamental curriculum question is?
10. According to Ayers, where do standardized tests push well-intentioned teachers and school leaders?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)