|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," who suggested to "go into yourself"?
2. Who argued that standardized achievement tests are problematic due to their "exaggerated importance"?
(a) Herb Zimiles.
(b) Lillian Weber.
(c) William Ayers.
(d) John Holt.
3. What did Ayers suggest should be the center of knowledge?
(b) The child and the classroom.
(d) Standardized tests.
4. What is an important window into a child and an essential part of any bridge's blueprint suggested by Ayers?
5. According to Ayers, what are tests surrounded by?
(a) Extreme colored borders.
(c) Untrue statements.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who argued that good teachers incorporated all kinds of instructional strategies and are vigilant for "what works"?
2. Who was critically injured in a mountain climbing accident and struggled to walk?
3. In Alex Haley's writing, whose coming of age ceremony did he record?
4. What did Ayers state is required for "greatness in teaching"?
5. What did Ayers say could be life-saving in the teaching experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ayers, where do standardized tests push well-intentioned teachers and school leaders?
2. What does Ayers say greatness in teaching requires?
3. Based on Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe why Zayd's project, a project focused on values, was an important hopeful approach to teaching.
4. In Chapter 4, "Building Bridges," describe Zayd's "coming of age" discoveries.
5. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
6. What are the alternatives to standardized tests discussed by Ayers?
7. What did Ayers mean when he linked "consciousness to conduct"?
8. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
9. According to Ayers, how do teachers become students to their students?
10. How does Ayers suggest people meet the problem of guidelines and mandates?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)