|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ayers, what are schools?
(a) Learning factories.
(b) Large places.
(c) Porous places.
(d) Small places.
2. Ayers states that what type of teacher engages youngsters, interacted with them, and drew energy from students?
(a) Outstanding teachers.
(b) Lousy teachers.
(c) High school teachers.
(d) Exciting teachers.
3. What type of questions make up the majority of the standardized test?
(a) Short answer questions.
(c) Multiple choice questions.
(d) Essay questions.
4. What did Ayers take away from a seven year old in the lunch room at P.S. 269?
(b) A metal pipe.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
5. What was the most recent standardized test Ayers took?
(a) Basic Skills Test.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does great teaching demand according to Ayers?
2. What level of teachers needed to visit and revisit the regular curriculum question regularly?
3. Who was a beekeeper that often learned from the bees?
4. Who argued that standardized achievement tests are problematic due to their "exaggerated importance"?
5. What type of school grew out of the civil rights struggle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can't standardized tests measure?
2. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," describe the students at Imani School.
3. According to Ayers, where do standardized tests push well-intentioned teachers and school leaders?
4. What are some ways that teachers can keep track of student achievement according to Ayers?
5. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
6. What does Ayers believe the fundamental curriculum question is?
7. According to Ayers, what are good schools?
8. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," what did Sarah's mother discuss?
9. According to Ayers, what is one argument that supported proponents of phonics?
10. How did Ayers describe Zayd's pursuing of his "coming of age" ceremony?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)