|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," which college was referenced in a conversation Zelma participated in?
2. Who argued that as soon as an actor believed she or he was "master of the part, rigor mortis is already set in"?
(a) Jane Addams.
3. What type of school grew out of the civil rights struggle?
(a) Freedom Schools.
(b) Black Power Schools.
(c) Peace Schools.
(d) SNCC Schools.
4. Who founded the Workshop Center at City College in New York?
(a) Alice Jefferson.
(b) John Holt.
(c) Joan Cenedella.
(d) Lillian Weber.
5. What did Ayers consider people were when people, no matter how professional, were given the power to set a standard?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brought the culture of the Sioux people to life for Zayd?
2. What type of questions make up the majority of the standardized test?
3. What is a set of techniques and directions to be mastered discussed in Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching"?
4. What is a sophisticated and complex cognitive process as suggested in Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum"?
5. What is the root word for evaluation discussed in Chapter 6, "Keeping Track"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ayers, where do standardized tests push well-intentioned teachers and school leaders?
2. In Chapter 7, "The Mystery of Teaching," what problems occurred when teachers tried to implement a new idea every day?
3. According to Ayers, what is one argument that supported proponents of phonics?
4. How did Ayers describe Zayd's pursuing of his "coming of age" ceremony?
5. In Chapter 5, "Liberating the Curriculum," what did Sarah's mother discuss?
6. Explain the themes of Fratney described by Ayers.
7. What does Ayers say greatness in teaching requires?
8. What did Ayers mean when he linked "consciousness to conduct"?
9. According to Ayers, what does culture include?
10. What were Ayers's feelings during the Illinois Teachers Basic Skills Test?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)