|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who argued that standardized achievement tests are problematic due to their "exaggerated importance"?
(a) Herb Zimiles.
(b) William Ayers.
(c) Lillian Weber.
(d) John Holt.
2. Ayers stated that ________________________ is more dogmatic and insistent than any religion or political ideology.
(d) Common sense.
3. According to Ayers, what consumes millions and millions of education dollars?
(a) Textbook companies.
(b) The testing industry.
(c) Successful school districts.
(d) Failing school districts.
4. Which score from a sample group was the norm as suggested by Ayers?
(a) The lowest score.
(b) The middle score.
(c) The highest score.
(d) The middle score divided by 2.
5. What, as suggested by Ayers, is a matter of solidarity between subjects and human beings?
(b) Finding allies.
(c) Learning from experience.
(d) Linking consciousness to conduct.
6. What does Ayers suggest is a highly personal and an intensely intimate encounter?
7. Ayers states that what type of teacher engages youngsters, interacted with them, and drew energy from students?
(a) Exciting teachers.
(b) High school teachers.
(c) Outstanding teachers.
(d) Lousy teachers.
8. Who noted that experience and education were not the same thing?
9. What does great teaching demand according to Ayers?
(a) Unique perspectives.
(b) An close-mind.
(c) An openness to something new.
(d) An openness to standardized testing.
10. Who spent most of the summer designing a "core study" for students?
(a) Alice Jefferson.
(b) Joan Cenedella.
(c) John Holt.
(d) Mara Sapon-Shevin.
11. Ayers suggests that what is built on a base of knowledge about students?
(a) Outstanding teaching.
(b) Outstanding parents.
(c) Outstanding learning.
(d) Outstanding schools.
12. Who was one of William Ayers mentors?
(a) June Jordan.
(b) Gilbert Ryle.
(c) John Holt.
(d) Denise Price.
13. What type of questions make up the majority of the standardized test?
(b) Short answer questions.
(c) Essay questions.
(d) Multiple choice questions.
14. What is a great motivator for student ceremonies according to Chapter 4, "Building Bridges"?
(a) The other students.
(b) The parents.
(c) The teacher.
(d) The audience.
15. Which group of people are naturally curious about their world they inhabit?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Zayd when the transformation of child to adult began?
2. In Chapter 7, "Mystery of Teaching," who told a remarkable story of learning to read as a subversive activity?
3. According to Ayers, what are schools?
4. What did Ayers state is required for "greatness in teaching"?
5. In Chapter 6, "Keeping Track," what is the process of narrowing, punishing, and controlling from the outside that too often passed for assessment?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)