|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What high school did Ayers's brother teach English?
(a) Los Angeles High School.
(b) Bismarck High School.
(c) North Campton High School.
(d) Berkeley High School.
2. What occupation does Ayers say teachers must "take on" to understand children?
(c) Police Officer.
3. According to Chapter 2, "Seeing the Student," what is the often underutilized source of knowledge about youngsters?
(d) The child.
4. Who argued that "the teacher who wishes to be more functionary cannot escape the value problem or the difficult matter of moral choice"?
(a) Maxine Greene.
(b) Hannah Arendt.
(c) William Ayers.
(d) Nel Noddings.
5. Which child's father was active in the civil rights movement?
(a) Darlene's father.
(b) Duke's father.
(c) Kelyn's father.
(d) Jose's father.
6. Who believed that "Education was the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume the responsibility for it"?
(a) Hannah Arendt.
(b) Nel Noddings.
(c) William Ayers.
(d) Maxine Greene.
7. Whose house always filled Ayers with tranquility?
(a) Harriet and Efrem's house.
(b) Coretta's house.
(c) BJ's House.
(d) Malcolm and Sue's house.
8. What was the center of the approach used at Prospect School?
(a) Staff review.
(b) Student review.
(d) Administrative review.
9. Ayers believes that what sets up schools as institutional forms for re-creation of specific values and norms, dispositions, and assumptions?
10. According to Ayers, what should the larger goal of education be?
(a) Adequate education for all children.
(b) Increased teacher pay.
(c) Adequate education for 75% of children.
(d) Complete overall of educational system.
11. What color did Darlene "spy"?
12. What animal did the children observe outside a Chicago steel plant?
(a) Bald eagle.
(b) Snowy Owl.
13. According to Ayers, what is in charge at the schools that limited individuality?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The schedule.
(c) The building
(d) The principal.
14. What exists less than a half-mile from the University of Illinois-Chicago?
(a) A shanty town.
(b) An old church.
(c) A habitat house.
(d) Cabrini Green.
15. What did Ayers's students do preschool through high school that was considered a class job or responsibility?
(a) Students cooked.
(b) Students drew.
(c) Students read.
(d) Students napped.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ayers, what tells us what to do?
2. What did Ayers's space have "lots and lots" of?
3. What does Ayers say the message should be to the children in youth?
4. How old was Chesa when Ayers began caring for him?
5. What became a helpful guide to teaching for Ayers and other teachers?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)