|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of music was played at the detention center during work time?
(a) Rap music.
(b) Classical music.
(c) Rock music.
(d) Country music.
2. What did Duke bring to the attention of the other children about Mr. Ayers?
(a) Mr. Ayers's eyes.
(b) Mr. Ayers's nose.
(c) Mr. Ayers's hands.
(d) Mr. Ayers's mouth.
3. What year did Ayers begin teaching?
4. Ayers suggests that who "resisted the idea that there is some ideal child with whom they would be brilliant; they must reject the idea of social circumstance"?
5. What high school did Ayers's brother teach English?
(a) Los Angeles High School.
(b) Berkeley High School.
(c) Bismarck High School.
(d) North Campton High School.
6. What Shakespeare play was Ayers's brother required to teach?
(a) Julius Caesar.
(b) A Midsummer Night's Dream.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) The Tempest.
7. What was the name of the group of housing activists who constructed simple and livable structures for the homeless?
(a) Housing Agency of Chicago.
(b) Habitat for Humanity.
(c) Helping Hands of Chicago.
(d) Mad Housers of Chicago.
8. What was the average annual cost to house an inmate in 1999?
9. Compared to 0 dollars spent on school construction, how much did Illinois spend on prison construction in 1999?
(a) $400 million.
(b) 2 million.
(c) 4 million.
(d) $200 million.
10. What does Ayers say the message should be to the children in youth?
(a) You are here for an education.
(b) Focus on other students.
(c) You are a valuable person.
(d) Do your best.
11. According to Ayers, what were many of Ayers's students when he began teaching?
(c) Culturally deprived.
(d) At Risk.
12. What does Ayers cite is the main reason students drop out?
(a) Not enough homework.
(b) Saw no value in educaiton.
(c) No adult cared if they stayed.
(d) Too much homework.
13. In Chapter 1, "Beginning: The Challenge of Teaching," what did John struggle with?
(a) Job loss.
(c) Abused at home.
14. According to Ayers, it is important for all teachers to be what?
(c) School Centered.
15. In Ayers preschool classroom, which area felt "cozy and home-like"?
(a) The dress-up area.
(b) The loft where the blocks were stored.
(c) The store.
(d) The hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, "Beginning: The Challenge of Teaching," how did one learn how to work well with youngsters?
2. What occupation does Ayers say teachers must "take on" to understand children?
3. According to Ayers, what is the mentality of schools?
4. Who believed that "Education was the point at which we decide whether we love the world enough to assume the responsibility for it"?
5. According to Ayers, what is the goal when kids become the "crowd or herd"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)