|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Creating an Environment for Learning.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ayers, what is the goal when kids become the "crowd or herd"?
(a) Teach great lessons.
(b) Create the "factory" student.
(c) Teach students one on one.
(d) To manage the mob.
2. What color did Darlene "spy"?
3. What percentage of African American boys does Ayers say will spend some time in prison?
(a) 25% will spend some time in prison.
(b) 66% will spend some time in prison.
(c) 33% will spend some time in prison.
(d) 10% will spend some time in prison.
4. Who was an amazing teacher that argued that the essence of cognitive development was "having wonderful ideas"?
(a) Jose Vega.
(b) Eleanor Duckworth.
(c) Mara Sapon-Shevin.
(d) Pat Carini.
5. What was the average annual cost to house an inmate in 1999?
Short Answer Questions
1. What object did Ayers compare teaching to in Chapter 1, "Beginning: The Challenge of Teaching"?
2. Who was the teaching assistant that pitched baseballs to a student everyday?
3. Which child's father was active in the civil rights movement?
4. Who was an exemplary teacher that argued that one central organizing goal in our schools must be the creation of communities of care and compassion?
5. What Shakespeare play was Ayers's brother required to teach?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)