|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Seeing the Student.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the goals of the Prospect School?
(a) Less structured curriculum.
(b) Higher pay for teachers.
(c) Supported students rights.
(d) Supported teacher's efforts to create a learning culture.
2. What type of school does Ayers say points toward students at the center of the education enterprise?
(a) Ideal schools.
(b) Big schools.
(c) Small schools.
(d) Teacher-centered schools.
3. According to Ayers, what is the goal when kids become the "crowd or herd"?
(a) Create the "factory" student.
(b) Teach great lessons.
(c) Teach students one on one.
(d) To manage the mob.
4. According to Ayers, what is the educational system?
(a) An adequate system.
(b) An equal system.
(c) A success.
(d) A failure.
5. What became a helpful guide to teaching for Ayers and other teachers?
(a) The teacher allowed the student to pursue their goals.
(b) Videos of best practice.
(c) The teacher taught straight from the book.
(d) Motivational speakers visited and taught.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ayers claims that what type of school tends be mechanistic and managerial, hierarchical, and bureaucratic?
2. Ayers believes that what sets up schools as institutional forms for re-creation of specific values and norms, dispositions, and assumptions?
3. Who argued that "the teacher who wishes to be more functionary cannot escape the value problem or the difficult matter of moral choice"?
4. Who believed that "young children's thinking is concrete and immediate compared to the thinking of older children"?
5. Ayers suggests that what happens when teacher's begin to value a child's opinions and experiences?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)