|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morgan do to hide the black man when a boat floats by them at Woman Key?
2. What is the name of the boat that drives by Morgan at Woman Key?
3. What is Morgan afraid Sing will do to him?
4. What does Sing give to Morgan just before he is killed?
5. Where has Johnson asked his chartered boat to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will Morgan not be able to make a living off of alcohol while in Havana?
2. Why does Mrs. Gordon say she is afraid to pray anymore?
3. What does Morgan put up for a guarantee when chartering Freddy's boat?
4. What does Richard Gordon do when he sees Marie crying?
5. What does Morgan regret after hearing that Johnson left without paying him?
6. What is Frankie paid to give to Morgan after he accepts the job from Sing?
7. What happens the first time Johnson gets a hit on his line?
8. What does Morgan respond to the men begging him for something at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Wesley think Morgan should have done when they were shot at?
10. How does Carpenter describe his relationship with Johnston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main reasons for the ending of the Gordons' marriage, and how does the end of this relationship affect some of the other characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does Morgan's relationship with Simmons change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Morgan endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)