|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guns did Morgan take with him on his first job for Mr. Sing?
2. What does Morgan say about really giant fish?
3. What does the black man call Morgan after he is injured?
4. What is dizzying to Morgan when he pulls into Woman Key?
5. What is the signal from Mr. Sing to come in to shore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor assure Marie of when he talks about Morgan's death?
2. What does Johnson say when he is back at the dock after his first day of fishing?
3. Why does the Sheriff tell Gordon that Freddy's Place will be dangerous?
4. What happens when Gordon sees MacWalsey at the bar?
5. How does Morgan meet Mr. Sing, and what is his first impression of the man?
6. What are Morgan's girls happy about when he returns home at the end of Part 3?
7. What news does Simmons bring at the end of Part 3, and how does Morgan respond to this?
8. What happens when Gordon tries to fight with MacWalsey?
9. What do customs men ask Morgan at Freddy's Place?
10. Why does Wesley think it is silly to be bootlegging in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main reasons for the ending of the Gordons' marriage, and how does the end of this relationship affect some of the other characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Morgan endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)