|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The protagonist had been out in how many cold snaps before, according to the narrator in Part II?
2. The narrator states in Part I that the protagonist is used to the lack of what?
3. When the protagonist gets up to leave after his lunch, he takes the creek trail in which direction in Part III?
4. What color is the dog that travels with the protagonist?
5. The day is described as having broken exceedingly how in the opening of To Build a Fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the dog described in To Build a Fire?What is his relationship to the protagonist?
2. What were Jack London’s experiences like during the Klondike Gold Rush?
3. At what time does the story open?Who is present in the opening paragraphs of the story?
4. When did Jack London drop out of school? Where did he go to work at that time?
5. What role does the old-timer play in the narrative?
6. What is the setting of To Build a Fire?What clues indicate this setting?
7. What does the protagonist do to warm up as he eats his lunch in Part III?
8. Where does the protagonist decide to eat lunch in the narrative? Why?
9. Where is the protagonist traveling in the story? What supplies does he carry?
10. What stylistic elements characterize To Build a Fire?Give examples in your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of “Survival in the Wilderness” in To Build A Fire.What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme? How is the theme illustrated through the characters of the man and the dog?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the protagonist’s experience of cold in the narrative. What effects does the cold have on the man? How does the cold affect the dog? What role does the cold have in the plot progression of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions of the dog at the end of the story. What is the dog’s reaction to the protagonist’s death? Where does the dog go? Why? What is symbolized in this ending?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)