|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The protagonist had been out in how many cold snaps before, according to the narrator in Part II?
2. After departing from eating his lunch, the protagonist travels along which body of water?
3. The protagonist shoves the dog in order to make it do what in Part II?
4. The “dark hair-line” of trail visible in Part I is said to be the main trail that leads south how many miles to the Chilcoot Pass?
5. The narrator states in Part III that “there was no keen” what “between the dog and the man”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the setting at noon in To Build a Fire? What is the protagonist’s state of mind at this time?
2. How is the protagonist described by the narrator in Part I?
3. What stylistic elements characterize To Build a Fire?Give examples in your answer.
4. What is the point of view of the narrative in To Build a Fire?
5. What were Jack London’s experiences like during the Klondike Gold Rush?
6. What does the dog do after falling through the ice in Part II? How does the protagonist help?
7. How does the author use symbolism to illustrate “instinct” versus “reason” in the narrative?
8. How does the narrator describe the protagonist’s experience of the cold in Part III?
9. Why does the protagonist eat quickly when he stops for lunch in Part III?
10. Where does the protagonist decide to eat lunch in the narrative? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss literary conflict. What are the differences between internal, external, and relational conflict? What are examples of each in To Build A Fire? What type of conflict is the most prominent in the narrative? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of “Survival in the Wilderness” in To Build A Fire.What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme? How is the theme illustrated through the characters of the man and the dog?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting of To Build A Fire.What are the outstanding elements of the setting? How does the setting play a part in the plot of the narrative? What clues in the text reveal the setting?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)