|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word from Part V means skillful or artful management?
2. What does the protagonist drop in the snow as he attempts to build his second fire in Part V?
(a) The birch bark
(b) His watch
(c) His knife
(d) The matches
3. According to the narrator in Part V, there had been no what for weeks?
4. What is portrayed as the antagonist in To Build a Fire?
(a) The dog
(b) The old-timer
5. Which word from Part IV means inanimate or dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Part IV, “Well, here he was; he had had the accident; he was alone; and he had” what?
2. When the protagonist’s second fire fails, he decides to attempt to do what with the dog?
3. When the protagonist’s first fire is extinguished and he decides to build a second in Part V, he realizes that he will probably lose what?
4. What in literature refers to the general attempt to depict subjects as they are considered to exist in third person objective reality, without embellishment or interpretation?
5. The popularized second version of To Build a Firewas published in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacle does the protagonist face with gathering twigs for his fire in Part IV?
2. How are the protagonist’s socks and shoes described as he tries to remove them in Part IV by the fire?
3. What conclusion does the protagonist come to when his fate appears sealed in Part VI?
4. How does the protagonist’s emotional state evolve as he works on building his second fire in Part V?
5. Why does the dog do as the protagonist fades from existence in Part VI?
6. What idea comes to the protagonist after his second fire is a failure in Part V?
7. How does the dog recognize the protagonist is dead in Part VI? What does the dog do?
8. How does the protagonist react when the fire is extinguished in Part V?
9. How does the protagonist respond when the fear of death begins to overtake him in Part VI?
10. How does the protagonist go about starting his second fire in Part V? What obstacles does he face in the process?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)