|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Part VI, “never in the dog's experience had it known a man to sit like that in the snow and” do what?
(a) Be silent
(b) Make no fire
(c) Not move
2. What are the shoes called that the protagonist wears in the narrative?
3. Which word used to describe the protagonist in Part V means having or showing little or no emotion?
4. The protagonist’s mistake is having built his fire under what, in Part V?
(a) A cliff
(b) A spruce tree
(c) A waterfall
(d) An eagle nest
5. The protagonist moves on to feed the fire with branches the size of what in Part IV?
(a) His finger
(b) His wrist
(c) His neck
(d) His foot
Short Answer Questions
1. The protagonist begins by feeding the fire with twigs the size of what in Part IV?
2. What kind of weapon does the protagonist carry?
3. Mercury was a messenger in Roman mythology who wore what?
4. The protagonist thinks to himself as he dies in Part VI, “When he got back to the States he could tell the folks” what?
5. Which word from Part V refers to a large mass of snow, detached from a mountain slope and sliding or falling suddenly downward?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist react when the fire is extinguished in Part V?
2. Is the protagonist aware of the danger he is in after falling through the ice? What is the danger?
3. How does the narrator describe the protagonist’s journey when he departs from lunch in Part IV?
4. How does the protagonist eventually re-gather the matches in Part V?
5. How does the protagonist’s body respond when he begins to build a fire after falling through the ice in Part IV?
6. How does the protagonist’s emotional state evolve as he works on building his second fire in Part V?
7. What is the first mental image that overtakes the protagonist as he dies in Part VI?
8. What does the dog do as the protagonist attempts to build his second fire in Part V? What obstacle does the protagonist face in getting the tinder going?
9. How does the theme of “survival” apply to Part IV of To Build a Fire?
10. What obstacle does the protagonist face with gathering twigs for his fire in Part IV?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)