|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After falling through the ice, the protagonist believes this mishap will delay him for how long in reaching his destination?
(a) 20 minutes
(b) 1 hour
(c) 45 minutes
(d) 2 hours
2. The man is described as speaking in what way to the dog in Part V, meaning leaving no opportunity for denial or refusal?
3. The narrator states in Part IV, “Well, here he was; he had had the accident; he was alone; and he had” what?
(a) Been lucky
(b) Saved himself
(c) Triumphed over nature
(d) Kept his composure
4. What does the protagonist plan to remove by the fire to dry in Part IV?
(a) His coat
(b) His footgear
(c) His hat
(d) His watch
5. What does the fire symbolize to the protagonist in Part V?
6. The protagonist wonders if Mercury felt as he does doing what in Part VI?
(a) Skimming over the earth
(b) Crashing and burning
(c) Soaring like a bird
(d) Trudging through the snow
7. What kind of weapon does the protagonist carry?
(a) A pistol
(b) A sheath-knife
(c) A rifle
(d) A machete
8. What element of the story is omitted in the earlier version of To Build a Fire?
(a) The knife
(b) The dog
(c) The old-timer
(d) The cold
9. What does the protagonist drop in the snow as he attempts to build his second fire in Part V?
(a) His watch
(b) The birch bark
(c) His knife
(d) The matches
10. Who had told the protagonist about the dangers of being wet in such cold temperatures?
(a) The ship captain
(b) The gold miner
(c) The old-timer
(d) The priest
11. What is the old-timer doing when the protagonist envisions him as he dies in Part VI?
(a) Smoking a pipe
(b) Reading a book
(c) Hunting moose
(d) Panning for gold
12. The strings of the protagonist’s shoes are described as being like what in Part IV?
(a) Stiff vines
(b) Caribou intestines
(c) Fencing wire
(d) Rods of steel
13. The protagonist begins by feeding the fire with twigs the size of what in Part IV?
(a) His arm
(b) His finger
(c) A sewing needle
(d) A pencil
14. Which word from Part IV means the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors?
15. What are the shoes called that the protagonist wears in the narrative?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does the protagonist strike the match before lighting it in Part V?
2. The protagonist’s socks are described as being like what “halfway to the knees” in Part IV?
3. The narrator states in Part V of the protagonist, “It struck him as curious that one should have to use his eyes in order to find out where” what were?
4. What color is a central motif in To Build a Fire?
5. An earlier version of To Build a Firewas first printed in The Youth’s Companion in which year?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)