|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in Part IV, “Well, here he was; he had had the accident; he was alone; and he had” what?
(a) Saved himself
(b) Kept his composure
(c) Been lucky
(d) Triumphed over nature
2. What refers to the decisive moment that is of maximum intensity or is a major turning point in a literary plot?
3. Which word from Part IV means a large destructive fire?
4. Which word from Part IV means situated at some distance away?
5. After falling through the ice, the protagonist believes this mishap will delay him for how long in reaching his destination?
(a) 45 minutes
(b) 1 hour
(c) 20 minutes
(d) 2 hours
6. The man is described as speaking in what way to the dog in Part V, meaning leaving no opportunity for denial or refusal?
7. Which word from Part IV means the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors?
8. What is portrayed as the antagonist in To Build a Fire?
(b) The old-timer
(d) The dog
9. The protagonist thinks to himself in Part IV, “All a man had to do was” what “and he was all right”?
(a) Pay attention
(b) Keep his head
(c) Remember his training
(d) Work with nature
10. The protagonist lights his second fire by touching a match to a small shred of what that he takes from his pocket in Part IV?
(a) Birch bark
(b) Oak leaves
(c) Cotton cloth
(d) Seal blubber
11. Which word from Part V means adequate for the purpose?
12. Which word from Part V refers to a large mass of snow, detached from a mountain slope and sliding or falling suddenly downward?
(d) Frazil ice
13. What color is a central motif in To Build a Fire?
14. Where does the dog go in the end of the story?
(a) Toward the camp
(b) Down the river
(c) Into the mountains
(d) Toward the springs
15. The protagonist’s mistake is having built his fire under what, in Part V?
(a) A waterfall
(b) A spruce tree
(c) An eagle nest
(d) A cliff
Short Answer Questions
1. The following sentence is an example of which literary technique: “It was as though he had just heard his own sentence of death”?
2. How many times does the protagonist strike the match before lighting it in Part V?
3. What simile occurs to the protagonist regarding his behavior in panicking in Part VI?
4. The narrator states in Part V of the protagonist, “It struck him as curious that one should have to use his eyes in order to find out where” what were?
5. What does the protagonist intend on rubbing his feet with in Part IV?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)