|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The protagonist’s mistake is having built his fire under what, in Part V?
(a) A spruce tree
(b) A cliff
(c) A waterfall
(d) An eagle nest
2. Which word from Part V means skillful or artful management?
3. The story, although not directly stated, is suggested to take place during what time period?
4. What simile occurs to the protagonist regarding his behavior in panicking in Part VI?
(a) Burning like a meteor
(b) Going dark like a grand eclipse
(c) Like shooting fish in a barrel
(d) Running around like a chicken with its head cut off
5. What are the shoes called that the protagonist wears in the narrative?
6. When the protagonist falls a second time and the dog sits in front of him, how does the protagonist feel about the “warmth and security of the animal” in Part VI?
7. What does the protagonist intend on rubbing his feet with in Part IV?
(d) Pine needles
8. The man is described as speaking in what way to the dog in Part V, meaning leaving no opportunity for denial or refusal?
9. How many times does the protagonist strike the match before lighting it in Part V?
10. The narrator states in Part V that the dog looks to the protagonist as what?
(a) The fire-provider
(b) The water-maker
(c) The belly-rubber
(d) The navigator
11. Which word describing the protagonist in Part VI means to struggle with stumbling or plunging movements?
12. What kind of weapon does the protagonist carry?
(a) A sheath-knife
(b) A rifle
(c) A pistol
(d) A machete
13. Which word from Part V refers to any of the main branches of a tree?
14. What other word does the narrator use for sulphur in Part V?
15. The scent of what makes the dog back away and bristle in the end of Part VI?
(a) Burnt flesh
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Part V of the protagonist, “It struck him as curious that one should have to use his eyes in order to find out where” what were?
2. The strings of the protagonist’s shoes are described as being like what in Part IV?
3. What is portrayed as the antagonist in To Build a Fire?
4. The dog goes to find what in the end of the story?
5. An earlier version of To Build a Firewas first printed in The Youth’s Companion in which year?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)