|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the protagonist become aware that his hand is on fire in Part V?
(a) The sight
(b) The feeling
(c) The sound
(d) The smell
2. According to the narrator in Part VI, the protagonist’s plan of running until he reaches camp has one flaw in it. What is this flaw?
(a) He has to cross a river
(b) The snow is too deep
(c) Darkness is setting in
(d) He lacks the endurance
3. Which word from Part III means anticipation of adversity or misfortune?
4. What is portrayed as the antagonist in To Build a Fire?
(b) The dog
(c) The old-timer
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that will come later in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist use to ignite his fire in Part III?
2. The popularized second version of To Build a Firewas published in what year?
3. According to the narrator in Part II, no man had come up or down the silent creek that the protagonist travels on in how long?
4. Where was Jack London born?
5. The narrator claims that the “trouble with him” is that he is without what in Part I?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)