|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word refers to “a newcomer to the land” in Part I?
2. Where is the old-timer from that the protagonist recalls in Part III?
(a) Crystal Springs
(b) Sulphur Creek
(c) Bear Mountain
(d) Bighorn Ranch
3. The narrator states in Part IV, “Well, here he was; he had had the accident; he was alone; and he had” what?
(a) Saved himself
(b) Triumphed over nature
(c) Kept his composure
(d) Been lucky
4. What is contained in the biscuits that the protagonist carries with him for lunch?
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that will come later in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. The protagonist thinks to himself in Part IV, “All a man had to do was” what “and he was all right”?
2. What refers to an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself?
3. According to the narrator in Part II, no man had come up or down the silent creek that the protagonist travels on in how long?
4. The protagonist thinks to himself, “those old-timers were rather” what, in Part IV?
5. Which word from Part III means anticipation of adversity or misfortune?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)