|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the late 18th and 19th centuries, what was a second way slaves escaped from slavery?
(a) They ran away and established their own settlements.
(b) They drugged their masters.
(c) They started rebellions and destroyed the plantations.
(d) They ran away and lived the rest of their lives in the forest.
2. Some slaves preferred what over being captured after running away?
(a) Turning themselves in.
(b) Keep running.
(c) Be killed or kill themselves.
(d) Bury themselves to hide for days.
3. Who was the slave who did not agree with slavery but felt that doing the job right was the proper way of doing things?
(a) Charles Ball.
(b) William Hayden.
(c) West Turner.
(d) Josiah Henson.
4. Solomon Northup said which of the following?
(a) "But some of them would rather be shot than took, sir."
(b) "Life is dear to every living thing; the worm that crawls upon the ground with struggle for it. At that moment it was dear to me, enslaved and treated as I was."
(c) "You can sell me, last me, or kill me. I ain't caring which, but you can't make me work no more."
(d) "Can I stay here tonight?"
5. How much was a "share" worth?
(a) A liveable amount.
(b) A very large amount.
(c) Practically nothing.
(d) A very small amount.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "Slavery was a bad thing and freedom of the kind we got with nothing to live on was bad."?
2. What turned into another kind of slavery?
3. What year was the Emancipation Proclamation declared?
4. When slaves became freed, what was one constitutional power they were given?
5. Who attempted to gain favor of his master by accomplishing satisfactory deeds in hopes of becoming a house servant?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)