|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said this in their account of slavery: "They never got nary a lick of labor and nary a red penny for any of them babies."?
(a) Ida Hutchinson.
(b) Roberta Manson.
(c) Henry Johnson.
(d) Ella Wilson.
2. Who describes being thrown in a buck and whipped?
(a) Henry Johnson.
(b) Ella Wilson.
(c) West Turner.
(d) Ida Hutchinson.
3. Who said, "Judge Miller! Don't you bid for me, 'cause if you do, I would not live on your plantation. I will take a knife and cut my own throat from ear to ear before I would be owned by you."?
(b) Alice Johnson.
(c) Delicia Patterson.
4. What did some drivers, like Platt, become experienced at?
(a) Encouraging the masters to not be present during whippings so that he could fake it instead.
(b) Handling the whip such that when he was ordered to whip a slave, he could make it look real without actually hitting the slave.
(c) Handling the whip so well that he could get the whipping done very quickly.
(d) Whipping the other slaves throughly but not to the point of death.
5. Slaves knew they were enslaved because of what two reasons?
(a) Money from selling slaves and stealing from other slave owners.
(b) Free labor and the large supply of blacks.
(c) Stealing from other slave owners and free labor.
(d) Free labor and money resulting from it and selling slaves.
6. Who was the largest slave trader in Memphis, Tennessee?
(a) Nathan Bedford Forrest
(b) Doc Daniel Dowdy
(c) West Turner
(d) Moses Grandy
7. What was the reason for the months that slave traders chose to have slave coffles?
(a) It was the time plantation work was the heaviest so slave owners needed new hardworking slaves.
(b) It was the time that slave owners preferred to work.
(c) It was the time that plantation work was the lightest and new slaves could adjust.
(d) The weather made it easier to hold auctions.
8. What was one principal item for which slaves were traded for?
9. What was it about the African civilizations that made it easier for colonists to use the Africans more easily?
(a) The African civilizations were different which made the American way more inticing.
(b) African civilizations encouraged traveling overseas.
(c) The African civilization was uncouth and therefore it was easier to teach them how to be a slave.
(d) African civilizations were highly developed with economic and political institutions, not unlike the American's own growing economy.
10. What was another cause of death of the Africans aboard the slave ship?
(b) Fighting each other to the death.
11. How was slavery in the United States different than slavery in other countries?
(a) Slavery in the United States allowed some slaves to be set free.
(b) Slavery in the United States was far more cruel and culture-destroying than the others.
(c) Slavery in the United States was far more lenient in the way slaves were treated.
(d) Slavery in the United States did not allow slaves to have families.
12. Which person fits the author's description of the type of slave that was "so enslaved that once slavery had ended, they were sorry"?
(a) Byrl Anderson.
(b) Alice Johnson.
(d) Charley Williams.
13. Why did the emotional scenes during slave trades occur?
(a) Slave families were being split apart.
(b) Slaves did not want to part from their original masters.
(c) Slave families rejoiced at being bought together.
(d) Slaves didn't agree with the price they were being sold for.
14. How much time did the slaves typically get for a break?
(a) 20 - 30 minutes.
(b) 15 - 20 minutes.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) 10 - 15 minutes.
15. What was 'Ol Gabe known for?
(a) He did not like whippings so he stood up to the master and the master decided to stop the whippings.
(b) He was an old driver who faked whippings when the master wasn't around.
(c) He did not like the idea of whippings so he faked it when he was told to whip a slave by the master.
(d) Anytime his master wanted a slave whipped, he would be the first to volunteer to administer the punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the main lesson that Byrl Anderson learned from his Master?
2. Approximately how many Africans were taken from their continent during the years of slave trade?
3. The cotton picking season began when?
4. What was one cause of death of the Africans aboard the slave ship?
5. Who said the following: "I have never seen or heard from her from that day to this. I loved her as I love my life."
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)