|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, To Be a Slave.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mammy referred to her slave days as what?
(a) The "misery days."
(b) The "scornful days."
(c) The "weary days."
(d) The "hell days."
2. What was a second principal item for which slaves were traded for?
(a) Domesticated dogs.
(c) Yards of cotton.
(d) Several pounds of corn.
3. What was the title for the trusted slave that would often help administer whippings to other slaves?
(a) The driver.
(b) The slave trader.
(c) The slave owner.
(d) The overseer.
4. What was the title for a poor white who was hired to watch over the slaves as they worked and ensure they weren't lazy or try to run away?
(a) The driver.
(b) The overseer.
(c) The slave trader.
(d) The slave owner.
5. Slaves knew they were enslaved because of what two reasons?
(a) Money from selling slaves and stealing from other slave owners.
(b) Stealing from other slave owners and free labor.
(c) Free labor and money resulting from it and selling slaves.
(d) Free labor and the large supply of blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the area on the slave trading boat called where the Africans were held and chained together?
2. Approximately how many Africans were taken from their continent during the years of slave trade?
3. What is the name of the early nineteenth century slave who heard stories of Africa from his grandfather and later wrote an autobiography?
4. Who said the following: "They whipped my father 'cause he looked at a slave they killed and cried."
5. What was 'Ol Gabe known for?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)