|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, To Be a Slave.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the area on the slave trading boat called where the Africans were held and chained together?
(a) Slave holding.
(b) Slave dungeon.
(c) Slave galley.
(d) Slave dinghy.
2. How was slavery in the United States different than slavery in other countries?
(a) Slavery in the United States was far more lenient in the way slaves were treated.
(b) Slavery in the United States did not allow slaves to have families.
(c) Slavery in the United States allowed some slaves to be set free.
(d) Slavery in the United States was far more cruel and culture-destroying than the others.
3. What was the name of the white man who taught his black son to call him "Papa" instead of "Master?"
(a) Powhatan Mitchell.
(b) Byrl Anderson.
(c) Frank Cooper.
(d) Charley Williams.
4. What was Henry Johnson's account about slavery?
(a) He was a driver who was lenient with the whip.
(b) His grandmother whipped him to show him what being a slave felt like.
(c) He was thrown in a buck and whipped.
(d) He and other slaves were forced by their master to steal cattle from other slave owners.
5. What was the only thing the slaves were given to eat on board the slave ship?
(b) Bread and cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was 'Ol Gabe known for?
2. Approximately how many Africans were taken from their continent during the years of slave trade?
3. Mammy referred to her slave days as what?
4. What item was used to discipline slaves?
5. Why did the attempt to use this second group of people also fail for the English colonists?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)