|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, To Be a Slave.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the children who were captured with their mothers and brought aboard the slave ship?
(a) They were separated from their mothers and kept in another location.
(b) They were strangled in front of their mothers' eyes as a lesson in obedience.
(c) They were taken aboard another ship meant only for slave children.
(d) They were separated from their mothers and thrown overboard into the water.
2. What was another cause of death of the Africans aboard the slave ship?
(d) Fighting each other to the death.
3. What was the title for the trusted slave that would often help administer whippings to other slaves?
(a) The driver.
(b) The slave trader.
(c) The slave owner.
(d) The overseer.
4. How was slavery in the United States different than slavery in other countries?
(a) Slavery in the United States was far more cruel and culture-destroying than the others.
(b) Slavery in the United States was far more lenient in the way slaves were treated.
(c) Slavery in the United States allowed some slaves to be set free.
(d) Slavery in the United States did not allow slaves to have families.
5. What animals did the master who taught his son to call him "Papa" use to teach his black son and white son about brotherhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said the following: "You want to know what they did in slavery times. They were doing just what they do know."?
2. Why did the attempt to use this first group of people for manual labor fail for the English Colonists?
3. What was the title for a poor white who was hired to watch over the slaves as they worked and ensure they weren't lazy or try to run away?
4. What did some drivers, like Platt, become experienced at?
5. What was one principal item for which slaves were traded for?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)