|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1905, the _________________ requests an investigation of the company.
2. The nation suffers the most severe depression ever in June of what year?
3. After a sheltered childhood, what does Junior crave?
4. In what is Junior interested?
5. What does John D. believe about his fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Senior begin doing with his money in Chapter Thirty-two?
2. What results from this trip to the south?
3. What complications exist regarding Cettie's death?
4. What is public sentiment regarding trusts by the mid-1890s? What happens in 1897?
5. What problems exist in Senior's life by 1903?
6. What deaths occur in Chapter Thirty-three?
7. What happens regarding a shift in the limelight from Senior to Junior?
8. What is the Elkins Act? What is the purpose of a new cabinet department with a Bureau of Corporations? How does Standard Oil feel about this bureau?
9. By 1891, what is John D. doing regarding Flagler?
10. Describe the dealings between J.P. Morgan and John D. Rockefeller.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John D. is active in sports.
Part 1) What sports does he enjoy? Why are these sports so important to John D.? How else does John D. care for his body?
Part 2) How does John D. instill these habits in his children? What other habits and beliefs does he instill in them? Why?
Part 3) In what activities do you participate? How do these activities better you?
Essay Topic 2
Big Bill is a bigamist.
Part 1) Who is Big Bill? How does he come to be a bigamist? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this affect his wife Eliza, John D., and John D.'s siblings? Why is nothing done about Bill's behavior?
Part 3) How is Bill a thorn in John's side throughout much of his life? How does he deal with this? What does this reveal about John D.?
Essay Topic 3
John D. marries Laura Celestia Spelman, called Cettie.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How does their relationship compare to the relationship between Bill and Eliza?
Part 2) How do they raise their children? How does this reflect their personalities and beliefs? Did they raise their children successfully? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the way you have been raised reflect the relationship between your parents, their personalities, and beliefs?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)