|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John D. believe about his fortune?
2. Archbold, deciding they need representation in Congress, begins doing what?
3. In 1903, Junior begins asking his father to publish an authorized biography for what reason?
4. Rockefeller becomes involved in what industry under Gates?
5. Standard Oil is the kind of trust that Roosevelt wants to do what to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is public sentiment regarding trusts by the mid-1890s? What happens in 1897?
2. What happens after the assassination of McKinley?
3. By 1891, what is John D. doing regarding Flagler?
4. Describe Junior in Chapter Nineteen.
5. Describe the dealings between J.P. Morgan and John D. Rockefeller.
6. Describe the Millionaire's Special.
7. What takes place when Junior decides he wants to separate from all businesses but one, his mining business in Colorado?
8. What does Senior begin doing with his money in Chapter Thirty-two?
9. What happens when the Ohio Attorney General reading a book about trusts which includes a copy of Standard Oil's trust deed indicating that control of the Ohio company has been transferred out of state, in violation of its Ohio charter.
10. Describe John's beliefs about his fortune. How does this differ from what the critics think of his philanthropic work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many changes take place over the years in the Rockefeller family.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place. Why do they take place?
Part 2) How do these changes affect the family, the family business, an the family's wealth?
Part 3) Are these changes mostly due to events and changes outside the family or due to members of the family? Explain.
Part 4) How does your own family compare to the Rockefellers?
Essay Topic 2
There are fortunes to be made in the post Civil War period.
Part 1) Why are there fortunes to be made? How does John D. benefit from this period of time? How do his previous business ventures aid him during this period of time?
Part 2) How is John D.'s opinion of oil significant? How does he benefit from this opinion?
Part 3) How did John D. fare during other periods of upheaval in the U.S.? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The automobile is invented by Henry Ford.
Part 1) How does this affect the economy and John D.? What might be the connection between the Depression and this invention?
Part 2) What other changes and inventions affect the economy and the Rockefellers throughout this story? Explain the effects of these changes and inventions.
Part 3) How have inventions and changes in John D.'s time affected our lives today? Are these changes for the better? Why or why not?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)