|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There are eight hundred _____________________ by 1910 as a result of the efforts of the GEB.
2. During testimony about the incident, Junior claims he had ________ knowledge of the situation in Colorado.
3. What are the project's first goals to establish?
4. When Junior will not budge on the issue of the open shop, what happens?
5. The Morgan Theological Seminary is transferred to the new university and Harper is its president. It opens on October 1, ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Senior begin doing with his money in Chapter Thirty-two?
2. Describe the federal antitrust suit filed in Missouri.
3. Describe the dealings between J.P. Morgan and John D. Rockefeller.
4. What deaths occur in Chapter Thirty-three?
5. How does John change after Cettie's death?
6. What leads and encompasses the Ludlow Massacre?
7. What takes place in Junior's life in Chapter Thirty-three?
8. Describe the Millionaire's Special.
9. What takes place when Junior decides he wants to separate from all businesses but one, his mining business in Colorado?
10. What problems exist in Senior's life by 1903?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rockefeller becomes the wealthiest man in the world.
Part 1) How does he build his wealth? What strategic moves does he make that you believe were the most beneficial?
Part 2) What role do antitrust laws play in this? How else does John D. and his family benefit from laws and changes in the economy?
Part 3) Could you potentially be the wealthiest person in the world? Why or why not? Would you want to be the wealthiest person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Sherman Antitrust Act is enacted in 1890.
Part 1) What is the Sherman Antitrust Act? How did it come to be enacted? What does it reveal about America and her citizens?
Part 2) How did this act affect John D. and his family? How is this act foreshadowed? Did John D. prepare for this act? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What is ironic about the Sherman Antitrust Act, regarding John D. and his business?
Essay Topic 3
Big Bill is a bigamist.
Part 1) Who is Big Bill? How does he come to be a bigamist? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this affect his wife Eliza, John D., and John D.'s siblings? Why is nothing done about Bill's behavior?
Part 3) How is Bill a thorn in John's side throughout much of his life? How does he deal with this? What does this reveal about John D.?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)