|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nation suffers the most severe depression ever in June of what year?
2. In 1903, Junior begins asking his father to publish an authorized biography for what reason?
3. John D. Gates began his career as what?
4. There is more opposition to Standard Oil as what is formed by a group of independents?
5. Abby enjoys spending time with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is public sentiment regarding trusts by the mid-1890s? What happens in 1897?
2. Describe John D. Gates.
3. How does John change after Cettie's death?
4. What does John D. for William Rainey Harper? Why?
5. Describe the dealings between J.P. Morgan and John D. Rockefeller.
6. What deaths occur in Chapter Thirty-three?
7. What does Reverend Augustus H. Strong want from Rockefeller? What does John D. think of this?
8. What happens after the assassination of McKinley?
9. Describe John's beliefs about his fortune. How does this differ from what the critics think of his philanthropic work?
10. What complications exist regarding Cettie's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John D. and Maurice B. Clark open their own business in 1855.
Part 1) Describe this business. Why is this business venture important? What does it reveal about John D.?
Part 2) How is this used as foreshadowing? What are two other successful business ventures? Describe these ventures.
Part 3) Why was John D. so successful? Could this be seen in him as a young man? What can you learn from John D.?
Essay Topic 2
Rockefeller becomes the wealthiest man in the world.
Part 1) How does he build his wealth? What strategic moves does he make that you believe were the most beneficial?
Part 2) What role do antitrust laws play in this? How else does John D. and his family benefit from laws and changes in the economy?
Part 3) Could you potentially be the wealthiest person in the world? Why or why not? Would you want to be the wealthiest person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Sherman Antitrust Act is enacted in 1890.
Part 1) What is the Sherman Antitrust Act? How did it come to be enacted? What does it reveal about America and her citizens?
Part 2) How did this act affect John D. and his family? How is this act foreshadowed? Did John D. prepare for this act? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) What is ironic about the Sherman Antitrust Act, regarding John D. and his business?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)