|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He is eventually hired by Hewitt and Tuttle as what?
2. There are _________________ during the post civil War period.
3. John D. quits school and takes a three month course where at the age of sixteen?
4. The last pocket of resistance lies with what refiners and they are brought into the fold by 1877?
5. In 1870, the partnership of Rockefeller, Andrews and Flagler is dissolved and what is formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the history of the Rockefeller family prior to John D.'s birth.
2. How is John D. involved in the Baptist church? How does he benefit from this?
3. What takes place during the depression of 1873?
4. Describe what Rockefeller does to control those in transport.
5. What are the results of Standard Oil becoming more involved in the railroad business?
6. What is the Pittsburgh Plan? Why is it dissolved?
7. What ends John D.'s plans of attending college? What does he do instead?
8. Describe the economy during the post Civil War period.
9. Describe the Rockefeller homes.
10. What activities reflect John D.'s personality and interests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John D. Rockefeller's father was often a vagabond.
Part 1) Describe William Avery Rockefeller. How does his behavior affect his family? What lessons does John D. learn from his father?
Part 2) What might Bill think about his actions and his relationship with his family? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Are you surprised at John D.'s success as a businessman and father, considering his upbringing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The limelight shifts from Senior to Junior.
Part 1) How does this shift occur? How do both Senior and Junior feel about this? What does this shift reveal about both men?
Part 2) How do the Rockefeller fortune and businesses affect Junior for the rest of his life? How does this compare to the affects they have on Senior?
Part 3) What stress exists in your own life? How do you deal with it? How do you handle stress differently than other family members or friends?
Essay Topic 3
The Rockefellers emigrated from Europe.
Part 1) Describe the Rockefeller family prior to John D.'s birth. How is this information important?
Part 2) How does John D.'s upbringing impact his life? How does he compare to his parents and siblings?
Part 3) Could John D.'s future as a great businessman and the wealthiest man on the planet have been predicted from looking at his family? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)