|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do the refiners like the plan?
2. In 1870, the partnership of Rockefeller, Andrews and Flagler is dissolved and what is formed?
3. Their Forest Hills home is once what?
4. Rockefeller now sets a goal of absorbing what refiners into Standard Oil and he easily succeeds in absorbing the two largest refiners?
5. Unlike some other oil men, John D. feels that oil will be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John D.'s relationship with Laura Celestia Spelman.
2. What does Big Bill do in Moravia?
3. How is John D. affected by the invention of the light bulb and natural gas?
4. Describe the oil industry in the middle of 1880.
5. Describe William Avery Rockefeller prior to his marriage to Eliza.
6. Describe Big Bill's marriage to Eliza and their living arrangements for the first part of their marriage.
7. What does John D. learn while working at Hewitt and Tuttle?
8. How is John D. involved in the Baptist church? How does he benefit from this?
9. What activities reflect John D.'s personality and interests?
10. Describe what Rockefeller does to control those in transport.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John D. is active in sports.
Part 1) What sports does he enjoy? Why are these sports so important to John D.? How else does John D. care for his body?
Part 2) How does John D. instill these habits in his children? What other habits and beliefs does he instill in them? Why?
Part 3) In what activities do you participate? How do these activities better you?
Essay Topic 2
The nation suffers a severe depression in June 1893.
Part 1) Describe this depression. How is the nation affected? How is John D. and his family affected?
Part 2) How does this depression compare to other times of depression in the U.S.? Is this one as bad as the Great Depression of the 1930s? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the nation get out of this depression? What can we, today, learn from this?
Essay Topic 3
John D. marries Laura Celestia Spelman, called Cettie.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How does their relationship compare to the relationship between Bill and Eliza?
Part 2) How do they raise their children? How does this reflect their personalities and beliefs? Did they raise their children successfully? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the way you have been raised reflect the relationship between your parents, their personalities, and beliefs?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)