|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Oil is found in the Western United States, as well as in what states?
2. What happens when the Pennsylvania producers form their own plan?
3. Rockefeller now controls ________ percent of the U.S. oil that is refined.
4. The Rockefellers live in Moravia on ninety acres on one of the Finger Lakes, _________________.
5. Economic development is ___________ as a result of the war.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Big Bill do in Moravia?
2. Describe the oil industry in the middle of 1880.
3. Describe the formation and beginning of Standard Oil. What problems arise?
4. Describe the economy during the post Civil War period.
5. Who does John D. buy out in 1871? Describe this buy-out and John's motivations at this time.
6. Describe John D.'s life while living on Euclid Avenue.
7. Describe what Rockefeller does to control those in transport.
8. What discoveries are made regarding oil at this time? how does this affect John D.?
9. How is John D. affected by the invention of the light bulb and natural gas?
10. How is John D. involved in the Baptist church? How does he benefit from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the 1850s, oil is discovered in Pennsylvania.
Part 1) Why is this an important discovery? How does John D. benefit from this discovery?
Part 2) What problems did oil also cause John D.? What might John D.'s life have been like if he had not gotten into the oil industry?
Part 3) How has the oil industry impacted us today? How have decisions and events of John D.'s day affected us today?
Essay Topic 2
John D. marries Laura Celestia Spelman, called Cettie.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How does their relationship compare to the relationship between Bill and Eliza?
Part 2) How do they raise their children? How does this reflect their personalities and beliefs? Did they raise their children successfully? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the way you have been raised reflect the relationship between your parents, their personalities, and beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
The limelight shifts from Senior to Junior.
Part 1) How does this shift occur? How do both Senior and Junior feel about this? What does this shift reveal about both men?
Part 2) How do the Rockefeller fortune and businesses affect Junior for the rest of his life? How does this compare to the affects they have on Senior?
Part 3) What stress exists in your own life? How do you deal with it? How do you handle stress differently than other family members or friends?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)