|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John D. receives a good introduction to the business world at Hewitt and Tuttle. He learns a great deal about what?
2. In ________ Johann Peter Rockefeller immigrates to America and settles in New Jersey.
3. In August of 1855, he begins looking for employment for what reason?
4. John D. preaches what to his workers?
5. He structures his schedule so he does what after meals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Rockefeller homes.
2. What are the results of Standard Oil becoming more involved in the railroad business?
3. What activities reflect John D.'s personality and interests?
4. What does Big Bill do in Moravia?
5. What does John D. learn while working at Hewitt and Tuttle?
6. How is John D. affected by the invention of the light bulb and natural gas?
7. Describe John D.'s success during the Civil War.
8. Describe the history of the Rockefeller family prior to John D.'s birth.
9. Describe William Avery Rockefeller prior to his marriage to Eliza.
10. What discoveries are made regarding oil at this time? how does this affect John D.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Big Bill is a bigamist.
Part 1) Who is Big Bill? How does he come to be a bigamist? Are you surprised by this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this affect his wife Eliza, John D., and John D.'s siblings? Why is nothing done about Bill's behavior?
Part 3) How is Bill a thorn in John's side throughout much of his life? How does he deal with this? What does this reveal about John D.?
Essay Topic 2
The Rockefellers emigrated from Europe.
Part 1) Describe the Rockefeller family prior to John D.'s birth. How is this information important?
Part 2) How does John D.'s upbringing impact his life? How does he compare to his parents and siblings?
Part 3) Could John D.'s future as a great businessman and the wealthiest man on the planet have been predicted from looking at his family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
John D. and Maurice B. Clark open their own business in 1855.
Part 1) Describe this business. Why is this business venture important? What does it reveal about John D.?
Part 2) How is this used as foreshadowing? What are two other successful business ventures? Describe these ventures.
Part 3) Why was John D. so successful? Could this be seen in him as a young man? What can you learn from John D.?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)