|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year do John D. and Maurice B. Clark open their own business?
2. At this time, his friends come from the community at the _______________ church where he is very active in church activities.
3. They have a ____________ long honeymoon in Canada and along the East Coast.
4. Big Bill does not accompany his family to Richford when they move and does not appear in the area until 1835, posing as what?
5. Rockefeller now sets a goal of absorbing what refiners into Standard Oil and he easily succeeds in absorbing the two largest refiners?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William Avery Rockefeller prior to his marriage to Eliza.
2. Describe John D.'s relationship with Laura Celestia Spelman.
3. Describe what Rockefeller does to control those in transport.
4. What is the Pittsburgh Plan? Why is it dissolved?
5. What does Rockefeller do to insure high volume and low costs?
6. How does John deal with the turbulent economy of the later part of the nineteenth century?
7. What are the results of new oil discoveries in Pennsylvania?
8. How is John D. involved in the Baptist church? How does he benefit from this?
9. What are the results of Standard Oil becoming more involved in the railroad business?
10. What does John D. learn while working at Hewitt and Tuttle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The automobile is invented by Henry Ford.
Part 1) How does this affect the economy and John D.? What might be the connection between the Depression and this invention?
Part 2) What other changes and inventions affect the economy and the Rockefellers throughout this story? Explain the effects of these changes and inventions.
Part 3) How have inventions and changes in John D.'s time affected our lives today? Are these changes for the better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The nation suffers a severe depression in June 1893.
Part 1) Describe this depression. How is the nation affected? How is John D. and his family affected?
Part 2) How does this depression compare to other times of depression in the U.S.? Is this one as bad as the Great Depression of the 1930s? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the nation get out of this depression? What can we, today, learn from this?
Essay Topic 3
Many changes take place over the years in the Rockefeller family.
Part 1) Describe the changes that take place. Why do they take place?
Part 2) How do these changes affect the family, the family business, an the family's wealth?
Part 3) Are these changes mostly due to events and changes outside the family or due to members of the family? Explain.
Part 4) How does your own family compare to the Rockefellers?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)