|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the mid-1890s, public sentiment is to do what, regarding trusts?
(a) Create more trusts.
(b) Curtail the trusts.
(c) Combine the trusts.
(d) Create smaller trusts.
2. Does Standard Oil remain silent throughout the series?
(a) Only at the end of the series.
(c) Only at first.
3. William is involved with what bank?
(a) National City Bank.
(b) Chase Bank.
(c) The Equitable Trust Bank.
4. The Morgan Theological Seminary is transferred to the new university and Harper is its president. It opens on October 1, ________.
5. Junior enters Brown University in what year?
6. John D. is very impressed with William Rainey Harper, whom he meets while visiting Bessie. At what college is Bessie?
(a) At Vassar.
(b) At Brown.
(c) At Yale.
(d) At Harvard.
7. Another Rockefeller program in the South is to eradicate what?
(c) Whooping cough.
8. In 1903, Junior begins asking his father to publish an authorized biography for what reason?
(a) To tell their family's story.
(b) To make him famous.
(c) To repair the damage done by Tarbell.
(d) To bring him to the people.
9. In 1897, why does the Ohio Attorney General feel the Ohio company is in contempt of court?
(a) The trust is still in force and the certificates cannot be redeemed for show.
(b) The trust will not give the appropriate documents to the court.
(c) The company has grown too large.
(d) The company has broken several laws.
10. On October 9, 1901 what does Junior do?
(a) He graduates from Harvard.
(b) His first child is born.
(c) He marries Abby.
(d) He meets Abby.
11. The Elkins Act is passed in 1903 with penalties for what?
(a) Refinery rebates.
(b) Railroad rebates.
(c) Pipeline rebates.
(d) Transporting oil.
12. Standard Oil is the kind of trust that Roosevelt wants to do what to?
13. When Junior will not budge on the issue of the open shop, what happens?
(a) The National Guard is sent to Colorado.
(b) Peace makers are sent to Colorado.
(c) Federal troops are sent to Colorado.
(d) Private security is sent to Colorado.
14. There is more opposition to Standard Oil as what is formed by a group of independents?
(a) The Sun Oil Company.
(b) The Pure Oil Company.
(c) The British Patroleum Company.
(d) The Exxon Company.
15. He meets Abby Aldrich near the end of his _____________ year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Junior maintains a _________ relationship with his father.
2. Cettie dies on _____________.
3. In 1905, the _________________ requests an investigation of the company.
4. What does John D. believe about his fortune?
5. What does a change in New Jersey law legalize?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)