|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John and Abby buy a new house and begin to spend their summers where?
(a) At Islesford In Maine.
(b) At Great Cranberry in Maine.
(c) At Swans Island in Maine.
(d) At Mount Desert Island in Maine.
2. What does the news of the fine cause?
(a) The Great Depression.
(b) A stock market slump and bank panics.
(c) A rise in the stock market.
(d) Mass hysteria.
3. Rockefeller is continually besieged with requests for what?
4. What does a change in New Jersey law legalize?
(a) Oil mining.
(b) Holding companies.
5. He meets Abby Aldrich near the end of his _____________ year.
6. Junior resigns in 1910, preferring to devote his efforts to what?
(a) His Colorado business.
(c) The auto industry.
(d) Caring for his family.
7. The Ohio Attorney General reading a book about trusts which includes a copy of Standard Oil's trust deed indicating what?
(a) The Ohio company has not broken any laws.
(b) Control of the Ohio company has been transferred out of state, in violation of its Ohio charter.
(c) The Ohio company also owns refineries in Indiana.
(d) The Ohio company is doing well.
8. Rockefeller becomes involved in what industry under Gates?
(d) Iron ore.
9. Junior goes to great lengths to do what?
(a) Spend his money wisely.
(b) Keep the children's pictures out of the newspapers.
(c) Protect his wealth.
(d) Hide his wealth.
10. Junior is shaken by the Ludlow affair. How does he emerge?
(a) The same.
(b) Weaker and more unsure of himself.
(d) Stronger and more confident in himself.
11. The trust does what to satisfy the courts?
(d) Does not change.
12. John D., Cettie and other family members travel to Europe in June 1906 and his lawyers tell him to extend his stay for what reason?
(a) Because of the various lawsuits.
(b) Because he is ill.
(c) Because he needs the vacation.
(d) Because they do not want him messing up the case.
13. What occurs on January 31, 1910?
(a) A strike.
(b) A mine collapse.
(c) A fight.
(d) An explosion.
14. In 1903, Junior begins asking his father to publish an authorized biography for what reason?
(a) To make him famous.
(b) To tell their family's story.
(c) To repair the damage done by Tarbell.
(d) To bring him to the people.
15. The federal antitrust suit is filed in Missouri on November 18, 1906. Its goal is what?
(a) The organizaton of the Standard Oil trust.
(b) The dissolution of the Standard Oil trust.
(c) The creation of only one oil company.
(d) The redistribution of wealth within the Standard Oil company.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what is Junior interested?
2. The President has plans for a new cabinet department that will have what which can investigate the trusts?
3. By the mid-1890s, public sentiment is to do what, regarding trusts?
4. Does Standard Oil remain silent throughout the series?
5. As Senior becomes more reclusive, the limelight shifts to Junior and focuses on the wealth he will inherit. Does Junior like the limelight?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)