|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bill continues his wanderings and becomes a ___________ when he marries Margaret Allen in 1855.
(c) Happy man.
2. By 1870, there is so much overproduction and falling prices that John D. begins to worry about what?
(a) His health.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His family.
(d) The economy.
3. They have a son, ________________ Rockefeller who is born in Granger, New York in 1810.
(a) William Avery.
(b) William Aaron.
(c) William Allen.
(d) William Austin.
4. In 1860, the first kerosene is made in what city by C. A. Dean?
5. In 1853, Bill moves the family to ______________ and leaves them at the home of his sister and brother-in-law.
(a) Kent, Ohio.
(b) Toledo, Ohio.
(c) Lima, Ohio.
(d) Strongville, Ohio.
6. Oil prices tumble and Rockefeller absorbs another group of failing competitors. They have to do this secretly for what reason?
(a) Rockefeller does not want others to know how powerful he is.
(b) According to the law, Standard Oil should not exist.
(c) The existing law does not allow Standard Oil to own property outside of Ohio.
(d) The competitors are embarrassed.
7. At this time, his friends come from the community at the _______________ church where he is very active in church activities.
8. What helps John D. in his business life?
(a) His wealth.
(c) His common sense.
(d) His friends.
9. Big Bill married for what reason?
(a) He needs a mother for his children.
(b) The money.
(c) He is in love with his wife.
(d) He is lonely.
10. After the end of the SIC, Rockefeller comes up with a new plan, called what?
(a) The Toledo Plan.
(b) The Cleveland Plan.
(c) The Philadelphia Plan.
(d) The Pittsburgh Plan.
11. By the middle of 1880, more than __________ percent of American oil is shipped abroad.
12. In ________ Johann Peter Rockefeller immigrates to America and settles in New Jersey.
13. The Rockefellers live in Moravia on ninety acres on one of the Finger Lakes, _________________.
(a) Oneida Lake.
(b) Owasco Lake.
(c) Cayuga Lake.
(d) Seneca Lake.
14. John D. now has control of the largest oil refinery in Cleveland at the age of ______________ along with his new partner, Am Andrews.
15. Do the refiners like the plan?
(a) No, they ignore it.
(b) No, they suggest another plan.
(c) No, they fight it.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sherman Antitrust legislation is introduced in Congress by Senator John Sherman of Ohio in ___________.
2. In 1878 Thomas Edison invents what?
3. When Rockefeller fights rival pipeline companies, he begins to run into opposition from whom?
4. They live where for the first six months of their marriage?
5. The children are overly protected and educated where?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)