|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He is eventually hired by Hewitt and Tuttle as what?
(a) A manager.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) An assistant bookkeeper.
(d) A clerk.
2. By the middle of 1880, more than __________ percent of American oil is shipped abroad.
3. The townspeople in Richford begin to refer to Big Bill as what?
(a) Devil Bill.
(b) Evil Bill.
(c) Crazy Bill.
(d) Wild Bill.
4. John D. receives a good introduction to the business world at Hewitt and Tuttle. He learns a great deal about what?
(a) The mercantile industry.
(b) The oil industry.
(c) The book industry.
(d) The transportation industry.
5. Bill continues his wanderings and becomes a ___________ when he marries Margaret Allen in 1855.
(d) Happy man.
6. In the 1850s, whole oil is used to fuel what?
7. In 1864, John D. marries Laura Celestia Spelman, called Cettie. Where did he first meet her?
(a) High school.
(b) Grammar school.
8. The price of crude oil is extremely ___________.
9. John D. and Cettie keep their circle of friends from business, family and church and never go where?
(a) To restaurants.
(b) Out of the city.
(d) To clubs.
10. They have a ____________ long honeymoon in Canada and along the East Coast.
11. Rockefeller now controls ________ percent of the U.S. oil that is refined.
12. John D. paces himself for what reason?
(a) To not get overly tired.
(b) To improve his productivity.
(c) He is very ill.
(d) To improve his health.
13. In August of 1855, he begins looking for employment for what reason?
(a) So he can something to keep him busy.
(b) So he can support his family.
(c) So he can care for his father.
(d) So he does not have to depend on his father.
14. In the spring of what year does a grand jury in Pennsylvania delivers indictments against Rockefeller, Flagler and other Standard executives?
15. He structures his schedule so he does what after meals?
Short Answer Questions
1. Maurice Clark and his brothers are in business with John D. in the refinery and John D. does not like this for what reason?
2. Big Bill Rockefeller leads the life of a ___________ in his younger years.
3. John D. now has control of the largest oil refinery in Cleveland at the age of ______________ along with his new partner, Am Andrews.
4. He eventually marries who in 1837?
5. Big Bill continues to visit once or twice a year and John D. tolerates the visits for what reason?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)