|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the 1850s, whole oil is used to fuel what?
2. The Bradford producers are pumping so much oil, that Standard Oil refuses to do what?
(a) Buy it.
(b) Sell it.
(c) Store it.
(d) Transport it.
3. Big Bill runs a _______________ business and a hired worker who runs his farm.
4. Bill works as what, selling cancer cures?
(a) A surgeon.
(b) A traveling medicine man.
(c) A family physician.
(d) A homeopathic physician.
5. In 1853, Bill moves the family to ______________ and leaves them at the home of his sister and brother-in-law.
(a) Toledo, Ohio.
(b) Lima, Ohio.
(c) Strongville, Ohio.
(d) Kent, Ohio.
6. Are the Rockefellers practitioners of conspicuous consumption?
(b) Only much later.
(c) Only at first.
7. In the spring of what year does a grand jury in Pennsylvania delivers indictments against Rockefeller, Flagler and other Standard executives?
8. The boys are enrolled in school and eventually the family moves to what city in the mid 1830s and then to a farm in Parma?
9. In August of 1855, he begins looking for employment for what reason?
(a) So he does not have to depend on his father.
(b) So he can support his family.
(c) So he can something to keep him busy.
(d) So he can care for his father.
10. Within _____ years he has absorbed almost all of them.
11. Big Bill continues to visit once or twice a year and John D. tolerates the visits for what reason?
(a) The children's sake.
(b) His father has changed his ways.
(c) His father has asked for forgiveness.
(d) He loves his father.
12. The only competition to Standard is what company?
(b) Chevron Corporation.
(c) British Petroleum.
(d) The Sun Oil Company.
13. Maurice Clark and his brothers are in business with John D. in the refinery and John D. does not like this for what reason?
(a) They have the votes to override him.
(b) They do not listen to his ideas.
(c) He does not like the business.
(d) He does not get along with them.
14. In 1864, John D. marries Laura Celestia Spelman, called Cettie. Where did he first meet her?
(b) Grammar school.
(c) High school.
15. By 1870, there is so much overproduction and falling prices that John D. begins to worry about what?
(a) His family.
(b) His wealth.
(c) The economy.
(d) His health.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Rockefellers live in Moravia on ninety acres on one of the Finger Lakes, _________________.
2. In ________ Johann Peter Rockefeller immigrates to America and settles in New Jersey.
3. What helps John D. in his business life?
4. John D. quits school and takes a three month course where at the age of sixteen?
5. At this time, John D. is also buying the New York refineries through who?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)