|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Their Forest Hills home is once what?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A school.
(c) A bed and breakfast.
(d) A church.
2. Oil is the________ largest export of the United States with the major competition being Russia, and it is cheaper to produce oil in Russia than it is in America.
3. The only competition to Standard is what company?
(a) The Sun Oil Company.
(c) British Petroleum.
(d) Chevron Corporation.
4. The Rockefellers live in Moravia on ninety acres on one of the Finger Lakes, _________________.
(a) Seneca Lake.
(b) Owasco Lake.
(c) Cayuga Lake.
(d) Oneida Lake.
5. At this time, his friends come from the community at the _______________ church where he is very active in church activities.
6. Rockefeller now sets a goal of absorbing what refiners into Standard Oil and he easily succeeds in absorbing the two largest refiners?
(a) The Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
(b) The Columbus and Cleveland.
(c) The Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
(d) The Philadelphia and New York.
7. They rarely go out and have to earn their spending money how?
(a) By performing chores.
(b) By being kind.
(c) By asking.
(d) By having jobs outside the home.
8. He is eventually hired by Hewitt and Tuttle as what?
(a) A manager.
(b) An assistant bookkeeper.
(c) A clerk.
(d) A lawyer.
9. The last pocket of resistance lies with what refiners and they are brought into the fold by 1877?
(a) The Baltimore and Boston.
(b) The Baltimore and West Virginia.
(c) The New Jersey and New York.
(d) The New York and Virginia.
10. In August of 1855, he begins looking for employment for what reason?
(a) So he can something to keep him busy.
(b) So he can support his family.
(c) So he does not have to depend on his father.
(d) So he can care for his father.
11. Bill continues his wanderings and becomes a ___________ when he marries Margaret Allen in 1855.
(b) Happy man.
12. Economic development is ___________ as a result of the war.
13. At this time, John D. is also buying the New York refineries through who?
(a) His father, Bill.
(b) His brother, Frank.
(c) His friend, George.
(d) His brother William.
14. As what is Bill known?
(a) Doc Rockefeller.
(b) Mr. Rockefeller.
(c) Pa Rockefeller.
(d) Crazy Rockefeller.
15. Rockefeller begins to integrate vertically for what reason?
(a) To insure high volume and high costs.
(b) To insure low volumen and high costs.
(c) To insure low volume and low costs.
(d) To insure high volume and low costs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Big Bill does not accompany his family to Richford when they move and does not appear in the area until 1835, posing as what?
2. In 1870, the partnership of Rockefeller, Andrews and Flagler is dissolved and what is formed?
3. In 1878 Thomas Edison invents what?
4. Unlike some other oil men, John D. feels that oil will be what?
5. Big Bill brings his former housekeeper and mistress, _______________, to live with them and has children with both women.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)