|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. They live where for the first six months of their marriage?
(a) In Toledo.
(b) With William.
(c) With Bill.
(d) With Eliza.
2. At this time, there is oil in what state?
(d) New York.
3. The Rockefeller have how many children who survive?
4. In the 1850s, whole oil is used to fuel what?
5. In the spring of what year does a grand jury in Pennsylvania delivers indictments against Rockefeller, Flagler and other Standard executives?
6. They rarely go out and have to earn their spending money how?
(a) By having jobs outside the home.
(b) By asking.
(c) By being kind.
(d) By performing chores.
7. John D. begins keeping track of his other expenditures and receipts in a book he calls what?
(a) My Journal.
(b) My Work.
(c) Ledger A.
(d) My Life.
8. Within _____ years he has absorbed almost all of them.
9. They dissolve their partnership when and agree to auction the firm to the highest bidder?
(a) April 1865.
(b) February 1865.
(c) July 1865.
(d) September 1865.
10. The townspeople in Richford begin to refer to Big Bill as what?
(a) Wild Bill.
(b) Crazy Bill.
(c) Devil Bill.
(d) Evil Bill.
11. Big Bill does not accompany his family to Richford when they move and does not appear in the area until 1835, posing as what?
(a) A blind and deaf peddler.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) An actor.
12. John D. is able to negotiate good rates on the railroads for what reason?
(a) Many of the railroad owners owe him favors.
(b) He has worked in the railroad industry.
(c) He has many friends in the railroad industry.
(d) Many of the railroad owners are Standard Oil stockholders.
13. Do the refiners like the plan?
(b) No, they ignore it.
(c) No, they suggest another plan.
(d) No, they fight it.
14. Big Bill married for what reason?
(a) He is in love with his wife.
(b) The money.
(c) He needs a mother for his children.
(d) He is lonely.
15. Rockefeller now sets a goal of absorbing what refiners into Standard Oil and he easily succeeds in absorbing the two largest refiners?
(a) The Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
(b) The Philadelphia and New York.
(c) The Columbus and Cleveland.
(d) The Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over the 1877 to 1883 period, they gradually shift their residence from ____________.
2. Oil is found in the Western United States, as well as in what states?
3. In 1853, Bill moves the family to ______________ and leaves them at the home of his sister and brother-in-law.
4. Associations are being formed for what purpose?
5. The Bradford producers are pumping so much oil, that Standard Oil refuses to do what?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)