|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. They have a son, ________________ Rockefeller who is born in Granger, New York in 1810.
(a) William Austin.
(b) William Allen.
(c) William Aaron.
(d) William Avery.
2. The Sherman Antitrust legislation is introduced in Congress by Senator John Sherman of Ohio in ___________.
(a) December 1891.
(b) December 1889.
(c) December 1887.
(d) December 1890.
3. Rockefeller's Cleveland refineries are further from what area than the Oil Regions refineries are?
(a) The Great Lakes.
(b) The East Coast.
(c) The Gulf Coast.
(d) The West Coast.
4. John D. receives a good introduction to the business world at Hewitt and Tuttle. He learns a great deal about what?
(a) The oil industry.
(b) The book industry.
(c) The mercantile industry.
(d) The transportation industry.
5. Oil is found in the Western United States, as well as in what states?
(a) Indiana and Ohio.
(b) West Virginia and Kentucky.
(c) Kentucky and Indiana.
(d) Ohio and Kentucky.
6. Rockefeller begins to integrate vertically for what reason?
(a) To insure high volume and high costs.
(b) To insure low volume and low costs.
(c) To insure low volumen and high costs.
(d) To insure high volume and low costs.
7. John D. quits school and takes a three month course where at the age of sixteen?
(a) At the University of Akron.
(b) At Kent State University.
(c) At a commercial college.
(d) At Bowling Green State University.
8. When Eliza dies in March 1889, John has it announced that she died how?
(a) A widow.
9. In the 1850s, whole oil is used to fuel what?
10. Bill works as what, selling cancer cures?
(a) A surgeon.
(b) A traveling medicine man.
(c) A family physician.
(d) A homeopathic physician.
11. Are the Rockefellers practitioners of conspicuous consumption?
(b) Only at first.
(d) Only much later.
12. Oil is the________ largest export of the United States with the major competition being Russia, and it is cheaper to produce oil in Russia than it is in America.
13. The new oil at Bradford intensifies the battle between who?
(a) Standard Oil and the railroad.
(b) Standard Oil and Sun Oil.
(c) Standard Oil and the iron industry.
(d) Standard Oil and the oil producers.
14. Unlike some other oil men, John D. feels that oil will be what?
(a) A problem to be dealt with in the future.
(b) A waste of time and money.
(c) The basis of a coming economic revolutions.
(d) A nuisance.
15. In August 1868, John D. moves his family to a house on _________ Avenue in an area that is called millionaires' row.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1870, the partnership of Rockefeller, Andrews and Flagler is dissolved and what is formed?
2. When John D. helps Big Bill buy a North Dakota ranch, he does it in such a way that who can never have any claims to it?
3. Their Forest Hills home is once what?
4. The only competition to Standard is what company?
5. By 1870, there is so much overproduction and falling prices that John D. begins to worry about what?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)