|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 26-28.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The government wins its antitrust case against Standard oil of New Jersey which is ordered to divest itself of its subsidiaries. The Supreme Court upholds the verdict on May 15, 1911, giving the trust six months to divest. What does the divestiture do to Rockefeller?
(a) It makes him now only the fifth wealthiest man in the world.
(b) It weakens him.
(c) It makes him even richer.
(d) It destroys him.
2. Are the Rockefellers practitioners of conspicuous consumption?
(a) Only much later.
(c) Only at first.
3. There are railroad and bank failures and massive unemployment. What happens to Standard Oil and the other trusts?
(a) They support each other.
(b) They disband.
(c) They grow weak.
(d) They remain healthy.
4. Their Forest Hills home is once what?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A school.
(c) A bed and breakfast.
(d) A church.
5. In 1864, John D. marries Laura Celestia Spelman, called Cettie. Where did he first meet her?
(c) Grammar school.
(d) High school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unlike some other oil men, John D. feels that oil will be what?
2. They have a son, ________________ Rockefeller who is born in Granger, New York in 1810.
3. John D. begins keeping track of his other expenditures and receipts in a book he calls what?
4. In the 1850s, whole oil is used to fuel what?
5. What does a change in New Jersey law legalize?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)