|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hippolita upset in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Who says "in thy wilful flames / Already see thy ruin"?
3. Who are brother and sister?
4. What is the final line of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Which comment of praise does Bergetto give his own letter in Act 2, Scene 4 after it is read aloud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richardetto say that Annabella is sick? What does Florio say he has done in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. Summarize what happens in Act 2, Scene 6 with regards to the letter given to Annabella.
3. Why is it ironic that Giovanni doesn't want Annabella to get married in Act 2, Scene 5? What does this suggest?
4. What does Giovanni do after he kills Annabella?
5. What happens after Giovanni confesses his love to his sister?
6. How has Bergetto's time with Annabella gone, as per his recap in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. How does Act 4, Scene 3 end?
8. How does Richardetto convince Grimaldi to murder Soranzo? How is this to happen?
9. Summarize the conversation between Annabella and Putana.
10. How does Giovanni's tone change from the beginning to the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is love used as a motivation for the characters? What are the positive and negative aspects of the use of this motivation by the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Friar vs. the Cardinal. What are the major differences between these two religious figures? What is the significance behind their differences?
Essay Topic 3
What comic relief is there in this tragic play? Is there enough comic relief? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)