|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being referred to in the quote "The man I hate / Worse than confusion-"?
2. Why does Annabella read the letter in Act 2, Scene 6?
3. Who does the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2 center around?
4. Why is the Friar so surprised that Giovanni has the feelings he does in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What is the final line of Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Bergetto when he enters Act 2, Scene 6?
2. Where is the Friar going to go at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
3. What signal of Act 2, Scene 6 shows the growing severity of the relationship between Annabella and Giovanni?
4. Why does Richardetto say that Annabella is sick? What does Florio say he has done in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What is the letter like that Bergetto has written for Annabella in Act 2, Scene 4?
6. How does Annabella respond to all the attention she gets from the men of the play? Which character enters Act 1, Scene 2 that strikes her liking the most?
7. What story does Bergetto enter Act 1, Scene 3 telling?
8. As of Act 3, Scene 8, where should the audience assume Vasquez's allegiance lies? What does Hippolita vow?
9. Why is Soranzo upset in Act 4, Scene 3? How does he treat his new wife?
10. Why has Florio sent for a doctor for Annabella? What does this doctor bring?
Essay Topic 1
What motivates Giovanni? How do his motivations change throughout the play? What motivates his final actions?
Essay Topic 2
How does suspense rise throughout the play? Use examples from the play to summarize the use of suspense, where it is strongest, and how it progresses the story.
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Annabella and Giovanni's turbulent relationship from beginning to end. How does it start? How does it change? What feeds it? What destroys it?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)