|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has accompanied Nancy to Anne's home after Nancy was hit?
2. After how many weeks do Anne and Fred receive a telegram about Jennie's condition?
3. What does Anne hold on to, to protect herself, Nancy, and Mary's children?
4. After Nancy has left for home, Cab Jackson visits Anne and gives her what gift?
5. During a conversation with Maggie, Anne says she does not know if she will be teaching where in the fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the town in general react to the news that Chuck and Ethel will be living with Anne permanently?
2. Why is Anne so strict with Chuck and Ethel once she is assured of keeping them permanently?
3. After the winter holidays, how does Anne attitude toward teaching in Chicken change?
4. How does Anne spend New Year's Eve in Chicken?
5. When Titus Paul and other Indians arrive at the confrontation between Anne and Fred and Cab over the children, what does Anne realize about the Indians' clothing?
6. How does Mrs. Prentiss respond to the news that Anne is keeping Chuck and Ethel?
7. Describe the cabin in which Anne, Chuck, Ethel, and the baby take shelter while Fred takes Jennie to Forty Mile.
8. Why do Chuck and Ethel run away to their old home when Anne is being too strict with them?
9. What is baby Patricia's condition when Anne and the children are in the cabin waiting to be rescued?
10. What does Joe Temple's cabin look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the use of the first-person narrator provide both benefits and drawbacks for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How would the book be different if it were written as a biography, autobiography, and/or journal?
Essay Topic 3
What significance does skin color (not necessarily the same thing as ethnicity) have for both the whites and the Indians?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)