|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Anne receive a letter in Chapter 18 about her conduct?
2. Who dances with Chuck when his original partner for the square dance is sent home?
3. Fred writes to Anne after the Christmas holidays and tells her that he may stay in Steel Creek until when?
4. Who tells Anne that there is talk among people in the town and that they are angry about her keeping Mary's children?
5. In Chapter 13, which of the old-timers is very ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe Temple's cabin look like?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Anne receives a letter from Lester Henderson after the Thanksgiving dance. What does his letter to her say?
3. After the winter holidays, how does Anne attitude toward teaching in Chicken change?
4. Describe Anne's visit to Merton Atwood as he is dying.
5. In the first part of Chapter 19, why is Rebekah mean to Chuck and Ethel and why does she say hurtful things to Anne?
6. When Anne, Ethel, Chuck, and Patricia arrive back in town with Mr. Strong after he rescues them, how does the town react?
7. How does the town in general react to the news that Chuck and Ethel will be living with Anne permanently?
8. Describe the cabin in which Anne, Chuck, Ethel, and the baby take shelter while Fred takes Jennie to Forty Mile.
9. Once Anne and Fred have arrived at O'Shaughnessy's, why does Fred want to continue chasing Cab without Anne?
10. How does Maggie's opinion of Anne being the school teacher next year in Eagle change after Anne and the children arrive back in town after rescuing Jennie and baby Patricia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does skin color (not necessarily the same thing as ethnicity) have for both the whites and the Indians?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the attitudes of many Chicken residents towards Mr. Strong.
Essay Topic 3
How would the book be different if it were written as a biography, autobiography, and/or journal?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)