|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Fred, Anne, and the children decide to take shelter during a bad storm on their way back to Chicken?
(a) A cabin.
(b) A roadhouse.
(c) A cave.
(d) A tent.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 23, who do Fred and Anne move onto their sled?
3. What does Joe give Anne as a peace offering?
(a) Two red fox pelts.
(b) Two black fox pelts.
(c) Two white fox pelts.
(d) Two grey fox pelts.
4. Where does Anne find Chuck and Ethel after they have run away?
(a) The Indian village.
(b) A cave.
(c) Their old home they shared with Mary.
(d) The woods.
5. What is the audible signal that someone needs help in Chicken?
(a) Three rings of the schoolhouse bell.
(b) Three shouts.
(c) Three hand claps.
(d) Three gunshots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only place that Anne, the children, and their rescuer stop on their way back to Chicken?
2. What does Anne hold on to, to protect herself, Nancy, and Mary's children?
3. Who finds the cabin for shelter in the middle of the storm as Fred, Anne, and the children are trying to get back to Chicken?
4. Who invites Anne to spend some time at the Indian village during Christmas?
5. Mary Angus's little girl screams the entire time Anne and Nancy are trying to do what to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Anne receives a letter from Lester Henderson after the Thanksgiving dance. What does his letter to her say?
2. During Anne's visit to Cathy and the Indian village during the Christmas holidays, what biographical information about Cathy does Anne learn?
3. How does the town in general react to the news that Chuck and Ethel will be living with Anne permanently?
4. Titus Paul asks Chuck a question in their language when trying to determine where Chuck and Ethel should live, and Chuck answers Titus Paul with "Aha," which means "Yes" in their language. What do you think Titus Paul asks Chuck, and why do you think this is his question?
5. After the winter holidays, how does Anne attitude toward teaching in Chicken change?
6. Why do Chuck and Ethel run away to their old home when Anne is being too strict with them?
7. How does Maggie's attitude towards Anne and the children change once Anne and the children come back with her infant granddaughter Patricia?
8. How does Maggie Carew react to the news that Chuck and Ethel will be living with Anne permanently?
9. How does Mrs. Prentiss respond to the news that Anne is keeping Chuck and Ethel?
10. How does Anne spend New Year's Eve in Chicken?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)