• Nineteen-year-old Anne Hobbs leaves Eagle, Alaska, for the small town of Chicken, on September 4, 1927, to become the town's school teacher.
• When the pack train stops at the Prentiss farm at Steel Creek, Mrs. Prentiss asks to send her daughter Nancy to Chicken to live with Anne in a few weeks.
• The pack train stops at the Indian village and Anne meets the schoolteacher there, Cathy Winters.
• Anne arrives in Chicken and is greeted warmly by its residents.
• Anne purchases some needed supplies and, along with Fred Purdy, works on getting her living quarters and schoolroom into shape.
• Anne's first day teaching the children goes well, though she feels they need a project to help them unite as a class.
• Anne clashes with the school board over letting an Indian woman, Rebekah, and her four-year-old little girl, Lily, into the school...
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)