|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of dog was Frank given when he was in the canine corps?
2. Where did Frank go to work when he was trying to get Emer back?
3. Where did Frank get a job when he got out of the army?
4. What did Frank want to go see at the Sixty-eight Street Playhouse?
5. What book did Corporal Dunphy lend Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Frank hit a ship's officer who made fun of the town where he was from?
2. What happened when Frank took lemon meringue pie and ginger ale to watch Hamlet at a playhouse?
3. Why wasn't Corporal Dunphy kicked out of the army long ago?
4. How did Corporal Dunphy show Frank how to clean his rifle?
5. Why was Eddie Gilligan so cold to his brother, Joe?
6. How did Frank get the grease off his fatigues after he had KP duty?
7. Why did Horace and Frank almost die in a fumigation room?
8. How did the captain learn about the incident at the refugee camp, and what did he do about it?
9. What did a man behind the bar tell Frank when he came into Costello's for a drink?
10. What did Mr. Herbert say to Frank and the class when Frank wrote about Jonathan Swift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Frank's emotions the first Christmas that he spent in America.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts that Frank faced during the years and how he dealt with them.
Essay Topic 3
Frank finally was able to enroll in college. Discuss the events that led to Frank's enrollment in college and how he got accepted without a high school diploma.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)