|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often, as company clerk, did Frank have to take company bedding to a military laundry?
(a) Three times a month.
(b) Four times a month.
(c) Twice a month.
(d) Once a month.
2. What did Frank want to go see at the Sixty-eight Street Playhouse?
(a) The Tempest.
(b) Julius Caesar.
(d) The Winter's Tale.
3. Where did Frank get a job cleaning for an hour a morning in exchange for $2 and some food?
(a) Diner on Third Avenue.
(b) A deli on 84th Avenue.
(c) An Irish bar.
(d) An automat.
4. What was the name of the ship that Frank sailed on to America in 1949?
(a) MS Irish Pine.
(b) MS Irish Oak.
(c) MS Irish Larch.
(d) MS Irish Alder.
5. How old was Frank's brother Alfie when he banged a spoon on the table and chanted, "Tomentin' dreams, tomentin' dreams"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Frank's brother Michael when he left school?
2. What Corporal turned Frank's sickness into a lecture and made him kneel and pray by the side of the road?
3. What was Emer's brother's name?
4. How old was Hannah, Mrs. Austin's sister, when she married an Irishman?
5. How much did it cost to ride the Staten Island ferry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Frank hit a ship's officer who made fun of the town where he was from?
2. After quitting his Blue Cross training, what did Frank think as he looked at Ellis Island?
3. Why wasn't Corporal Dunphy kicked out of the army long ago?
4. What did a man behind the bar tell Frank when he came into Costello's for a drink?
5. How did Frank get his first job in New York City?
6. What did the doctor tell Frank caused his bad eyes and what treatment did the doctor recommend?
7. How did Corporal Dunphy show Frank how to clean his rifle?
8. What did Mr. Herbert say to Frank and the class when Frank wrote about Jonathan Swift?
9. What were Frank's job duties when he returned to working at Port Warehouses?
10. How did Frank get the grease off his fatigues after he had KP duty?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)