|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the bartender at Costello's tell Frank he had to read before he could come back to the bar?
(a) The Lives of the English Poets.
(b) Sayings of Dr. Johnson.
(c) The History of Rasselas.
(d) The Journey to the Western Islands.
2. Where did Frank get a job when he got out of the army?
(a) Port Warehouses.
(b) Wyatt Construction Company.
(c) Merchants Refrigerating Company.
(d) Baker and Williams Warehouse.
3. What was the name of Frank's church in Limerick?
(a) St. Patrick's.
(b) St. John's.
(c) St. Joseph's.
(d) St. Mary's.
4. On what ship had a sailor named Owen used to work?
(a) Andrea Doria.
(c) Queen Mary.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
5. What did Frank want to go see at the Sixty-eight Street Playhouse?
(a) The Tempest.
(b) Julius Caesar.
(d) The Winter's Tale.
6. What book did Frank find in the ship's library to read?
(a) Notes from Underground.
(b) Crime and Punishment.
(c) The Brothers Karamazov.
(d) The Possessed.
7. Who invited Frank for a beer after he had KP duty and lost his weekend pass?
(c) Di Angelo.
8. How often, as company clerk, did Frank have to take company bedding to a military laundry?
(a) Four times a month.
(b) Twice a month.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Three times a month.
9. Why did Frank's mother need him to send more money in Chapter 7?
(a) Shoes for his brothers.
(c) Her rent had increased.
(d) New clothes for his brothers.
10. How much did Frank make a week when he did platform work and ran a forklift?
11. How long had the priest been gone, when he returned to New York City?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 8 months.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 months.
12. How old was Hannah, Mrs. Austin's sister, when she married an Irishman?
13. What was the name of the ship that Frank sailed on to America in 1949?
(a) MS Irish Alder.
(b) MS Irish Oak.
(c) MS Irish Larch.
(d) MS Irish Pine.
14. After quitting the training for his office job, where did Frank have a beer?
(c) Bean Pot.
(d) B Side.
15. Where did Dunphy's wife and children go?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Frank have to pay for a room with Mrs. Austin?
2. How many courses did the Dean of Admissions at NYU allow Frank to take?
3. What poet used to like to go to the White Horse Tavern?
4. What was the name of the girl with a limp who Frank asked to dance in Limerick?
5. How many weeks did Frank have to go for training for his new job when he was trying to get Emer back?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)