|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do the lawyer and butler say that Julian has been looking?
2. What do these two explore?
3. What does the lawyer think about the relationship that has developed by the wealthy woman and the lay brother?
4. What does Miss Alice do when Julian is still in his dreamlike state, musing on the greatness of sacrifice?
5. What are they discussing as Julian enters the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julian falls in love with Miss Alice.
Part 1) Describe Miss Alice.
Part 2) Why does he fall in love with her?
Part 3) How does his love for her affect his judgment? How might this reflect humanity?
Essay Topic 2
A reference to moving, going, or coming "up" repeats several times.
Part 1) Describe two references to the word "up."
Part 2) What does "up" initially mean to you? Why?
Part 3) What does "up" seem to mean in this story? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
The conspirators leave Julian to die.
Part 1) Who kills him? Why is he killed?
Part 2) Why do they leave him to die?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for killing this character? What message does this send to the audience?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)