|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
2. What does the butler suggest that it is probably time for the lawyer to do?
3. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
4. What does Julian beg of Miss Alice?
5. Of what does Miss Alice remind him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Alice, the lawyer, the Cardinal, and the butler conspire against Julian.
Part 1) How do they conspire against him?
Part 2) Why do they conspire against him?
Part 3) What roles do each of them play in the conspiracy? How do these roles suit Julian?
Essay Topic 2
The conspirators leave Julian to die.
Part 1) Who kills him? Why is he killed?
Part 2) Why do they leave him to die?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for killing this character? What message does this send to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Julian hallucinates throughout the play.
Part 1) When are his hallucinations first mentioned? Describe this first hallucination.
Part 2) Why does he hallucinate during the play?
Part 3) Why does he hallucinate at the end of the play? How does this affect the audience?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)