|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the folds of her negligee mimic?
2. Who is the butler playing?
3. What does Miss Alice do when Julian is still in his dreamlike state, musing on the greatness of sacrifice?
4. What does Miss Alice tell him?
5. Why do the men believe surely a hundred-million dollars a year should be enough for one man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the play takes place in a mansion.
Part 1) Who lives in this mansion? What is odd about this person?
Part 2) How does the decor reflect the mansion's owner?
Part 3) What is the significance of this mansion?
Essay Topic 2
A reference to moving, going, or coming "up" repeats several times.
Part 1) Describe two references to the word "up."
Part 2) What does "up" initially mean to you? Why?
Part 3) What does "up" seem to mean in this story? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
Many aspects of this play are not what they seem.
Part 1) Describe two of them.
Part 2) How do you feel about these aspects? Why?
Part 3) How does this lead to one of the play's themes? What is this theme?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)