|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are of the expected variety in a place of this grandeur?
2. With what is Julian not comfortable?
3. What does Julian say he heard on that night in the asylum?
4. Who was Saint Francis?
5. How does the second person make his insult more insulting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open? Who are the characters in this scene?
2. What does Julian not understand about Miss Alice?
3. How does this scene end?
4. How does the lawyer react when he sees the Cardinal? What does the Cardinal explain to the lawyer?
5. What does the butler tell Julian about himself? What is Julian's response?
6. What does the Cardinal tell Julian to accept? How does Julian respond?
7. What does Julian realize about the model of the mansion?
8. How does the ugly dialogue break?
9. What do the two men wonder about Julian's ability to take what they have to say?
10. How does this scene open? Describe the room.
Essay Topic 1
Julian is intrigued by the model of the mansion.
Part 1) Why is the model unique?
Part 2) What do he and the butler discuss, regarding this model?
Part 3) How is this model significant?
Essay Topic 2
The Cardinal has two caged birds.
Part 1) What type of birds? What relationship do the characters have with these birds?
Part 2) Why has the author chosen this species?
Part 3) What might these two birds signify?
Essay Topic 3
The conspirators leave Julian to die.
Part 1) Who kills him? Why is he killed?
Part 2) Why do they leave him to die?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for killing this character? What message does this send to the audience?
This section contains 1,633 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)