|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the two continue to insult one another?
2. What does Julian believe about his faith and his sanity?
3. Why does Miss Alice begin a flirtatious conversation asking if he had been intimidated by herself or the lawyer, and if he had liked the butler?
4. How does the scene end?
5. With what is Julian not comfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the butler tell the lawyer, after he softens?
2. What does the lawyer do to Miss Alice, when the other two men leave?
3. What is the most intriguing element of the room?
4. What do the lawyer and butler do to Julian? What is Julian's response?
5. What does the butler tell Julian about himself? What is Julian's response?
6. What do the two men relish?
7. What does Julian do when the lawyer moves to take his leave?
8. Describe Julian's initial encounter with Miss Alice.
9. How does the Cardinal respond to the lawyer's insults?
10. Why is Julian confused?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julian wonders if he slept with the Virgin Mary.
Part 1) Why does he believe this?
Part 2) What does this say about Julian's religious beliefs?
Part 3) What does this reveal to the audience about Julian's character?
Essay Topic 2
A reference to moving, going, or coming "up" repeats several times.
Part 1) Describe two references to the word "up."
Part 2) What does "up" initially mean to you? Why?
Part 3) What does "up" seem to mean in this story? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
Julian falls in love with Miss Alice.
Part 1) Describe Miss Alice.
Part 2) Why does he fall in love with her?
Part 3) How does his love for her affect his judgment? How might this reflect humanity?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)