|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is feminine, but not frilly, decorated in shades of blue?
2. What does the first man insinuate about the second man?
3. What kind of conversation does the trio enter?
4. Why does Julian ask whether or not someone will soon be available?
5. Where does this scene open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Alice reveal to Julian?
2. How does Miss Alice begin to ensnare Julian?
3. Describe the upstairs sitting room of the castle.
4. What does the butler carry into the library?
5. Describe Julian's initial encounter with Miss Alice.
6. What happens after the lawyer backs Miss Alice against the wall?
7. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
8. What had Julian assumed about their departure? What does he now realize?
9. How does Julian feel about Miss Alice's topic of discussion? How does he respond?
10. What are the lawyer and Cardinal doing, as the play begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conspirators leave Julian to die.
Part 1) Who kills him? Why is he killed?
Part 2) Why do they leave him to die?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for killing this character? What message does this send to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Many aspects of this play are not what they seem.
Part 1) Describe two of them.
Part 2) How do you feel about these aspects? Why?
Part 3) How does this lead to one of the play's themes? What is this theme?
Essay Topic 3
The Cardinal has two caged birds.
Part 1) What type of birds? What relationship do the characters have with these birds?
Part 2) Why has the author chosen this species?
Part 3) What might these two birds signify?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)