|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Alice say about the chairs in the various rooms?
2. How are the periods of hallucination announced?
3. Julian says "It is God the mover, not God ______________."
4. What does the butler do?
5. Why would Julian ask a nurse or one of the attendants, "Could you tell me, did I preach last night?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the upstairs sitting room of the castle.
2. Where are Miss Alice and Julian? About what do they discuss?
3. What does the lawyer do to fend off his embarrassment?
4. How is Julian's behavior similar to when he was at the asylum?
5. What does the butler tell the lawyer, after he softens?
6. What does the lawyer say about Miss Alice and Julian?
7. What had Julian assumed about their departure? What does he now realize?
8. Why is the lawyer infuriated with the butler?
9. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
10. What do the two men wonder about Julian's ability to take what they have to say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julian wants to make a sacrifice.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) Why does he want to make a sacrifice?
Part 3) What sacrifice does he make? Is it the sacrifice he had intended? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Alice is making a donation to the church.
Part 1) What is her donation?
Part 2) How does this donation lead to Julian's demise?
Part 3) What is revealed as the true donation or sacrifice? Why is this?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Alice deceives Julian at their first meeting.
Part 1) How does she deceive him? Why does she do this?
Part 2) What is his reaction?
Part 3) What does her behavior foreshadow? How do you know this?
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)