|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the second person react?
2. What is Miss Alice's response when the lawyer proceeds to introduce Julian to her for the first time?
3. What happens to the conversation.
4. What does Julian find ironic about staying in the section of the asylum that is for people who are only mildly troubled?
5. What is Julian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene end?
2. What does the Cardinal tell Julian to accept? How does Julian respond?
3. What does Miss Alice say about Julian's memory? To what does this lead?
4. What does the lawyer do to Miss Alice, when the other two men leave?
5. What idea do the two men explore, regarding the Cardinal?
6. What makes Julian more and more frustrated wit h Miss Alice?
7. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
8. Why is Julian confused?
9. What does Miss Alice reveal to Julian?
10. What becomes evident about the two men? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 1
Julian hallucinates throughout the play.
Part 1) When are his hallucinations first mentioned? Describe this first hallucination.
Part 2) Why does he hallucinate during the play?
Part 3) Why does he hallucinate at the end of the play? How does this affect the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Julian falls in love with Miss Alice.
Part 1) Describe Miss Alice.
Part 2) Why does he fall in love with her?
Part 3) How does his love for her affect his judgment? How might this reflect humanity?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Alice deceives Julian at their first meeting.
Part 1) How does she deceive him? Why does she do this?
Part 2) What is his reaction?
Part 3) What does her behavior foreshadow? How do you know this?
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)