|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is cooing and talking to the birds, trying to engage them to interact with him?
2. What is Julian?
3. What does the first man not leave without?
4. How does the second person make his insult more insulting?
5. Why does Miss Alice begin a flirtatious conversation asking if he had been intimidated by herself or the lawyer, and if he had liked the butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the lawyer backs Miss Alice against the wall?
2. What does the lawyer do to Miss Alice, when the other two men leave?
3. Why is the lawyer infuriated with the butler?
4. How does the scene end?
5. Describe the setting.
6. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
7. Why does Miss Alice say she played this game?
8. How does this scene open? Describe the room.
9. What does Miss Alice say about Julian's memory? To what does this lead?
10. What does Julian realize about the model of the mansion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the play takes place in a mansion.
Part 1) Who lives in this mansion? What is odd about this person?
Part 2) How does the decor reflect the mansion's owner?
Part 3) What is the significance of this mansion?
Essay Topic 2
A reference to moving, going, or coming "up" repeats several times.
Part 1) Describe two references to the word "up."
Part 2) What does "up" initially mean to you? Why?
Part 3) What does "up" seem to mean in this story? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Alice, the lawyer, the Cardinal, and the butler conspire against Julian.
Part 1) How do they conspire against him?
Part 2) Why do they conspire against him?
Part 3) What roles do each of them play in the conspiracy? How do these roles suit Julian?
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)