|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the butler do at the sound of the chime?
2. What is feminine, but not frilly, decorated in shades of blue?
3. Who is studying this creation from all angles?
4. Not to be outdone, what does the second person sling back?
5. What does Julian believe must happen in order to make it easier for men to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Julian feel about Miss Alice's topic of discussion? How does he respond?
2. How does the lawyer respond to Miss Alice's insults?
3. What does the Cardinal tell Julian to accept? How does Julian respond?
4. How does the lawyer react when he sees the Cardinal? What does the Cardinal explain to the lawyer?
5. Why does the lawyer enter the room?
6. What is happening to Julian?
7. What does the lawyer do to fend off his embarrassment?
8. How does this scene open? Who are the characters in this scene?
9. What is the most intriguing element of the room?
10. How does Miss Alice begin to ensnare Julian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Alice, the lawyer, the Cardinal, and the butler conspire against Julian.
Part 1) How do they conspire against him?
Part 2) Why do they conspire against him?
Part 3) What roles do each of them play in the conspiracy? How do these roles suit Julian?
Essay Topic 2
The Cardinal has two caged birds.
Part 1) What type of birds? What relationship do the characters have with these birds?
Part 2) Why has the author chosen this species?
Part 3) What might these two birds signify?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Alice is making a donation to the church.
Part 1) What is her donation?
Part 2) How does this donation lead to Julian's demise?
Part 3) What is revealed as the true donation or sacrifice? Why is this?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)