|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Miss Alice ask that shocks Julian?
2. Who delights in the lawyer's discomfort?
3. What, at last, occurs?
4. What does Julian admit to the butler when the lawyer leaves?
5. Why would Julian ask a nurse or one of the attendants, "Could you tell me, did I preach last night?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting.
2. What is happening to Julian?
3. How is Miss Alice, when she enters the scene?
4. Why does the lawyer enter the room?
5. What does the lawyer do when he enters?
6. What happens when Julian leaves the room?
7. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
8. How does Julian feel about Miss Alice's topic of discussion? How does he respond?
9. Where are Miss Alice and Julian? About what do they discuss?
10. What had Julian assumed about their departure? What does he now realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A reference to moving, going, or coming "up" repeats several times.
Part 1) Describe two references to the word "up."
Part 2) What does "up" initially mean to you? Why?
Part 3) What does "up" seem to mean in this story? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 2
Julian is reluctant to talk about his past.
Part 1) Why is he reluctant? What has happened in his past?
Part 2) How does his past reflect his future?
Part 3) Why does he finally reveal his past? What are the consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Julian is naive.
Part 1) Prove this statement.
Part 2) How does his naivete draw audiences to him?
Part 3) How does this naivete destroy his life? How does this affect the audience?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)