|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Julian respond?
2. Why does Miss Alice begin a flirtatious conversation asking if he had been intimidated by herself or the lawyer, and if he had liked the butler?
3. What does the butler do?
4. How does the scene end?
5. Who delights in the lawyer's discomfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the lawyer enter the room?
2. What does Julian do when the lawyer moves to take his leave?
3. What does the lawyer do to Miss Alice, when the other two men leave?
4. What do the two men wonder about Julian's ability to take what they have to say?
5. How does the Cardinal respond to the lawyer's insults?
6. How does Miss Alice feel about her chairs?
7. How does the lawyer respond to Miss Alice's insults?
8. How does their animosity become clearer?
9. Where are Miss Alice and Julian? About what do they discuss?
10. How does the lawyer react when he sees the Cardinal? What does the Cardinal explain to the lawyer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Julian wonders if he slept with the Virgin Mary.
Part 1) Why does he believe this?
Part 2) What does this say about Julian's religious beliefs?
Part 3) What does this reveal to the audience about Julian's character?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Alice and the lawyer are lovers.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) What are their true feelings for each other? How do you know?
Part 3) Who is in control in this relationship? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Many aspects of this play are not what they seem.
Part 1) Describe two of them.
Part 2) How do you feel about these aspects? Why?
Part 3) How does this lead to one of the play's themes? What is this theme?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)