|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian say when Miss Alice invites him to talk about himself?
2. What happens to the conversation.
3. To what building's architecture is this building compared?
4. How does the man react at having been discovered cooing to the caged birds?
5. How does Miss Alice say hello?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julian not understand about Miss Alice?
2. What does Miss Alice do when Julian becomes embarrassed?
3. How does their animosity become clearer?
4. What does the Cardinal tell Julian to accept? How does Julian respond?
5. Why is the lawyer infuriated with the butler?
6. Describe the upstairs sitting room of the castle.
7. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
8. How is Julian's behavior similar to when he was at the asylum?
9. What happens when Julian leaves the room?
10. How does the lawyer respond to Miss Alice's insults?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Alice, the lawyer, the Cardinal, and the butler conspire against Julian.
Part 1) How do they conspire against him?
Part 2) Why do they conspire against him?
Part 3) What roles do each of them play in the conspiracy? How do these roles suit Julian?
Essay Topic 2
The conspirators leave Julian to die.
Part 1) Who kills him? Why is he killed?
Part 2) Why do they leave him to die?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for killing this character? What message does this send to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Alice deceives Julian at their first meeting.
Part 1) How does she deceive him? Why does she do this?
Part 2) What is his reaction?
Part 3) What does her behavior foreshadow? How do you know this?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)