|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miss Alice begin a flirtatious conversation asking if he had been intimidated by herself or the lawyer, and if he had liked the butler?
2. Who does Julian describe as a quiet, plain woman with soft features; one year or so on either side of forty, married to the owner of a dry goods store?
3. What does Julian confide about a period during his stay at the asylum?
4. How did Julian struggle?
5. How does Miss Alice challenge Julian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Julian assumed about their departure? What does he now realize?
2. What do the two men wonder about Julian's ability to take what they have to say?
3. How does Julian feel about the way the conversation with the butler is going? What does he want to know?
4. What does Julian do when the lawyer leaves?
5. What does the butler tell Julian about himself? What is Julian's response?
6. What happens after the lawyer backs Miss Alice against the wall?
7. What does Miss Alice reveal to Julian?
8. How does the ugly dialogue break?
9. How is Julian's behavior similar to when he was at the asylum?
10. What does the Cardinal tell Julian to accept? How does Julian respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conspirators choose Julian for a purpose.
Part 1) What is their purpose for him?
Part 2) Why do they choose Julian?
Part 3) How are they able to seduce and trick him? How does this affect him?
Essay Topic 2
The conspirators leave Julian to die.
Part 1) Who kills him? Why is he killed?
Part 2) Why do they leave him to die?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for killing this character? What message does this send to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Alice deceives Julian at their first meeting.
Part 1) How does she deceive him? Why does she do this?
Part 2) What is his reaction?
Part 3) What does her behavior foreshadow? How do you know this?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)