|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters the courtyard through an iron gate and moves quietly toward the man and watches him with mild amusement?
2. Julian is intrigued by the butler's coincidence. How does the Butler feel?
3. What is in massive scale?
4. What does Julian think about how men use God?
5. What kind of conversation does the trio enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Julian assumed about their departure? What does he now realize?
2. What are the lawyer and Cardinal doing, as the play begins?
3. What does the lawyer do when he enters?
4. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
5. What do Julian and the butler say about this creation?
6. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
7. How is Julian's behavior similar to when he was at the asylum?
8. How does their animosity become clearer?
9. What happens when Julian leaves the room?
10. How does Julian feel about Miss Alice's topic of discussion? How does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Alice deceives Julian at their first meeting.
Part 1) How does she deceive him? Why does she do this?
Part 2) What is his reaction?
Part 3) What does her behavior foreshadow? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 2
Julian wants to make a sacrifice.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) Why does he want to make a sacrifice?
Part 3) What sacrifice does he make? Is it the sacrifice he had intended? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The butler is nonplussed about most things.
Part 1) Prove this statement.
Part 2) What is his relationship with the other characters.
Part 3) Based on what you know of him, what might be his thoughts on this conspiracy?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)