|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because the mansion is so large, what must she do?
2. What species of bird is in the birdcage?
3. Why is Julian part of this trio?
4. What does Julian say when Miss Alice invites him to talk about himself?
5. For whom is the larger of the two chairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Miss Alice, when she enters the scene?
2. What does the lawyer say about Miss Alice and Julian?
3. How does Julian feel about the way the conversation with the butler is going? What does he want to know?
4. Who does the butler suggest the lawyer visit? Why?
5. What does the lawyer do to fend off his embarrassment?
6. How does Miss Alice begin to ensnare Julian?
7. How does the Cardinal respond to the lawyer's insults?
8. What is happening to Julian?
9. Why is Julian confused?
10. How does the scene end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cardinal has two caged birds.
Part 1) What type of birds? What relationship do the characters have with these birds?
Part 2) Why has the author chosen this species?
Part 3) What might these two birds signify?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Alice deceives Julian at their first meeting.
Part 1) How does she deceive him? Why does she do this?
Part 2) What is his reaction?
Part 3) What does her behavior foreshadow? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
The Cardinal and the lawyer have known each other since childhood.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) Describe their relationship. Why do they act this way towards each other?
Part 3) Compare and contrast these two characters.
This section contains 1,528 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)