|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, at last, occurs?
2. Why does the lawyer initiate a discussion of his animosity for the Cardinal?
3. How does the man react at having been discovered cooing to the caged birds?
4. How does the play open?
5. How does Julian respond to Miss Alice's game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lawyer say how the Cardinal's caged birds?
2. What becomes evident about the two men? How do you know this?
3. What does Julian do when the lawyer leaves?
4. What are the lawyer and Cardinal doing, as the play begins?
5. What is the most intriguing element of the room?
6. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
7. What does the lawyer do when he is satisfied with Julian's response?
8. Why does Miss Alice say she played this game?
9. Describe the setting.
10. How is Miss Alice, when she enters the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cardinal and the lawyer have known each other since childhood.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) Describe their relationship. Why do they act this way towards each other?
Part 3) Compare and contrast these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
Julian hallucinates throughout the play.
Part 1) When are his hallucinations first mentioned? Describe this first hallucination.
Part 2) Why does he hallucinate during the play?
Part 3) Why does he hallucinate at the end of the play? How does this affect the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Alice is making a donation to the church.
Part 1) What is her donation?
Part 2) How does this donation lead to Julian's demise?
Part 3) What is revealed as the true donation or sacrifice? Why is this?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)