|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Alice think about the lawyer's hair on his back, the fat between his shoulder blades, even his genitalia?
(a) They are unusual for a man.
(b) She finds them to be odd.
(c) She loves every part of him.
(d) She finds them revolting.
2. What is Miss Alice's response when Julian pleads with her to explain what had just happened to him?
(a) She tells him that the lawyer had business to attend to.
(b) She wearily responds that she does not know.
(c) The model and the real thing are the same.
(d) She no longer likes wine.
3. What does Julian fear?
(a) Miss Alice.
(b) The chapel.
(c) The lawyer.
(d) The model.
4. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
(a) He begins to grow fearful.
(b) He begins to weaken.
(c) He begins to grow stronger.
(d) He runs away.
5. What has Julian become during his stay at the mansion?
(a) A tremendous help.
(b) A man.
(c) A priest.
(d) A nuisance.
6. What do these two explore?
(a) Telling the Cardinal more than that Julian will get the money.
(b) The mansion.
(c) Miss Alice's mail.
(d) Other options besides hurting Julian.
7. What does Julian ask Miss Alice?
(a) If she is alright.
(b) Where the lawyer ran off to.
(c) If she would like to have some wine.
(d) How there could be flames in both the model of the chapel and the real chapel.
8. How does the butler feel about the encounter upon which he has stumbled?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He is amused.
9. Where does Julian kneel?
(a) Within the folds of her wing-like gown.
(b) Behind her.
(c) Away from her.
(d) In a corner.
10. In what do the two men then engage?
(a) A debate.
(b) A game of chess.
(c) A role-playing exercise.
(d) A fight.
11. How does Miss Alice continue to humiliate Julian?
(a) With a discussion about his role as her lay man.
(b) By making insulting comments about his looks.
(c) By telling him he is worthless.
(d) With a discussion of riding crops and whipping and asks if he has ever whipped anyone.
12. What is Miss Alice saying when the other men are gone?
(a) A monologue.
(b) She says Julian's name and then is silent.
(d) Nothing. She cries.
13. What about the butler infuriates the lawyer even further?
(a) His disrespect.
(b) His indifference.
(c) His crude humor.
(d) His rude behavior.
14. What does the butler say about Miss Alice?
(a) She is in love with Julian.
(b) She is missing.
(c) She is upset.
(d) She will rise above her human qualities and do her job.
15. What does the lawyer demand when he enters?
(a) To have dinner made for him.
(b) To have a bunch of flowers cut.
(c) To know where Miss Alice and Julian are.
(d) To take a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
2. How does this scene open?
3. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
4. What do the folds of her negligee mimic?
5. What do the two men wonder about Julian's mental state?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)