|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian ask Miss Alice?
(a) If she would like to have some wine.
(b) How there could be flames in both the model of the chapel and the real chapel.
(c) If she is alright.
(d) Where the lawyer ran off to.
2. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
(a) She is calm and seems a bit amused at his advances.
(b) She panics.
(c) She kisses him.
(d) She begins to scream.
3. What does Julian remember about the Welsh man?
(a) How good he was with horses.
(b) How handsome he was.
(c) The juice his farm produced.
(d) The incredible tufts of black hair on his fingers.
4. What are they discussing as Julian enters the library?
(a) Making him the Parish Priest.
(b) Moving him in with Miss Alice.
(c) Moving him into quarters over the chapel.
(d) Having him do more work in the wine cellar.
5. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
(a) He begins to weaken.
(b) He begins to grow fearful.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He begins to grow stronger.
6. Of what does Miss Alice remind him?
(a) He will never be a priest.
(b) He will marry her.
(c) He is serving.
(d) He cannot run away.
7. How does the scene end?
(a) With the two men wondering if Julian will survive.
(b) The two men search for Miss Alice.
(c) The men are laughing about their plot to destroy Julian.
(d) The men see the model of the mansion begin to move.
8. What does Julian do as he moves to her?
(a) He begins to sob.
(b) He takes a deep breath.
(c) He screams her name.
(d) He gives a sort of dying cry.
9. What is Miss Alice saying when the other men are gone?
(a) Nothing. She cries.
(c) She says Julian's name and then is silent.
(d) A monologue.
10. What do the folds of her negligee mimic?
(a) The unfurling of great wings.
(b) A tarp.
(c) The clouds.
(d) The wind.
11. How does Miss Alice continue to humiliate Julian?
(a) By making insulting comments about his looks.
(b) By telling him he is worthless.
(c) With a discussion of riding crops and whipping and asks if he has ever whipped anyone.
(d) With a discussion about his role as her lay man.
12. Where is Julian?
(a) In the dining room.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In the parlor.
(d) In Miss Alice's sitting room,
13. What do the two men explore about Julian?
(a) Whether he will stay.
(b) Whether he will be their sacrifice.
(c) Whether he will go along with the plan.
(d) Whether he can take it as well.
14. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
(a) Can he take being told the full truth?
(b) Will he take Julian's side?
(c) Will he go through with the plan?
(d) Does he love Miss Alice?
15. What does Miss Alice do after the lawyer leaves her?
(a) She assumes a more comfortable position on the floor, where she goes into a mantra.
(b) She goes to the chapel to find the men.
(c) She calls for Julian.
(d) She cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
2. What do the two men wonder about Julian's mental state?
3. What is the lawyer trying to do to Alice?
4. Where is the scene set?
5. To whom is he talking?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)