|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julian notice about the model of the mansion?
(a) It is on fire.
(b) It is beautiful.
(c) There is movement.
(d) It is not accurate.
2. How does the butler feel about the encounter upon which he has stumbled?
(a) He is amused.
(b) He is embarrassed.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is nervous.
3. Why does the lawyer throw out that maybe she would rather be with her precious Julian?
(a) He loves her and is jealous.
(b) Miss Alice obviously despises the lawyer and does not want him near her.
(c) He knows Miss Alice does not like Julian.
(d) Miss Alice is in love with the lawyer and despises Julian.
4. What does the lawyer do when the other two men leave?
(a) He tells Miss Alice to follow the other two men.
(b) He kisses Miss Alice.
(c) He violently grabs Miss Alice by the wrist and forces her to the floor.
(d) He leaves.
5. What does Miss Alice ask Julian to do?
(a) Move into the mansion with her.
(b) Move into the guest house.
(c) Go back to the monastery.
6. What is the lawyer trying to do to Alice?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Touch and caress her.
(c) Seduce Julian.
(d) Get her to sign a document.
7. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
(a) Julian forgot a gift for Miss Alice.
(b) It is the chapel that is engulfed in flames.
(c) It is the most beautiful location.
(d) The movement was in the chapel.
8. To what topic of discomfort does Julian move?
(a) The excess found in his new life at the estate.
(b) His desire to marry Miss Alice.
(c) His sore muscles from riding.
(d) The chance he may leave her.
9. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
(a) Nothing wrong.
(b) Tried to obey, tried to understand, she has tried!
(c) Sold her soul to the devil.
(d) Given up on the lawyer.
10. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
(a) They are making some of the best wine in the region.
(b) Essentially they are making some very expensive vinegar.
(c) It is filled with delicious, expensive wine.
(d) It is beautiful and does not need Julian to care for it.
11. What do the two men believe would be a perfect twist?
(a) If the Cardinal were to marrry Julian and Miss Alice.
(b) If the Cardinal were to marry Miss Alice.
(c) If the Cardinal has a relationship with Julian.
(d) If the lawyer were to marry Miss Alice.
12. To whom is he talking?
(b) The lawyer.
(c) The Cardinal.
(d) Miss Alice.
13. What does Miss Alice do when Julian is still in his dreamlike state, musing on the greatness of sacrifice?
(a) Miss Alice leaves him.
(b) Miss Alice humiliates him even further.
(c) Miss Alice moves behind him, her arms around his neck, and then on his chest, urging him to come to her in his sacrifice.
(d) Miss Alice says a prayer for him.
14. Where is the scene set?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In Miss Alice's bedroom.
(d) The library of the mansion.
15. What are they discussing as Julian enters the library?
(a) Moving him in with Miss Alice.
(b) Moving him into quarters over the chapel.
(c) Having him do more work in the wine cellar.
(d) Making him the Parish Priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he clearly wonder?
2. What is Miss Alice's response when Julian pleads with her to explain what had just happened to him?
3. What does Julian do as he moves to her?
4. In what do the two men relish?
5. What does Miss Alice do after the lawyer leaves her?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)