|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
(a) Will he take Julian's side?
(b) Can he take being told the full truth?
(c) Does he love Miss Alice?
(d) Will he go through with the plan?
2. What do these two explore?
(a) Telling the Cardinal more than that Julian will get the money.
(b) The mansion.
(c) Other options besides hurting Julian.
(d) Miss Alice's mail.
3. Who is the butler playing?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The black pieces.
(c) The underdog.
(d) The devil's advocate.
4. Why do the men believe surely a hundred-million dollars a year should be enough for one man?
(a) He is not very intelligent.
(b) He is not even a priest.
(c) He has no authority.
(d) He is not even that attractive.
5. What does the butler say Miss Alice will do?
(a) Return soon.
(b) Her job.
(c) She will run away with Julian.
(d) Be angry with the lawyer.
6. Why does the lawyer throw out that maybe she would rather be with her precious Julian?
(a) Miss Alice obviously despises the lawyer and does not want him near her.
(b) Miss Alice is in love with the lawyer and despises Julian.
(c) He knows Miss Alice does not like Julian.
(d) He loves her and is jealous.
7. How does Miss Alice continue to humiliate Julian?
(a) By making insulting comments about his looks.
(b) By telling him he is worthless.
(c) With a discussion of riding crops and whipping and asks if he has ever whipped anyone.
(d) With a discussion about his role as her lay man.
8. What does Miss Alice tell him?
(a) "Your sacrifice will be to the church, not to me..."
(b) "You will be hers; you will sacrifice yourself to her..."
(c) "You are the sweetest man I know..."
(d) "I love you..."
9. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
(a) It is filled with delicious, expensive wine.
(b) It is beautiful and does not need Julian to care for it.
(c) Essentially they are making some very expensive vinegar.
(d) They are making some of the best wine in the region.
10. What does the lawyer do to the butler?
(a) He glares at him.
(b) He argues with him.
(c) He chastises him.
(d) He hits him.
11. What is Miss Alice's response when Julian pleads with her to explain what had just happened to him?
(a) The model and the real thing are the same.
(b) She wearily responds that she does not know.
(c) She tells him that the lawyer had business to attend to.
(d) She no longer likes wine.
12. What do they wonder if they should tell the Cardinal?
(a) About Miss Alice's relationship with Julian.
(b) About the model of the mansion.
(c) That the Cardinal will not get any of the money.
(d) That Julian is out of the conspiracy.
13. What does the lawyer hiss at her?
(a) To watch her step.
(b) To leave him alone.
(c) To go after her precious Julian.
(d) He wants her.
14. In what do the two men then engage?
(a) A fight.
(b) A role-playing exercise.
(c) A debate.
(d) A game of chess.
15. What does Julian notice about the model of the mansion?
(a) It is not accurate.
(b) It is beautiful.
(c) There is movement.
(d) It is on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Alice think about the lawyer's hair on his back, the fat between his shoulder blades, even his genitalia?
2. In what does Miss Alice delight?
3. What must the lawyer do with their plans for Julian?
4. What is Julian doing for Miss Alice and the Church?
5. What does the butler pretend?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)