|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the lawyer say is the true source of her private donation to the church?
(a) Her father's inheritance.
(b) The selling of her mansion.
(c) Her relationship with the Cardinal.
(d) Her sexual relationship with Julian.
2. What does Miss Alice recite?
(a) A scene from Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Her wedding vows in the form of a poem.
(c) A poem she had written.
(d) D.H. Lawrence's Love on the Farm.
3. Into what does Julian launch as he describes in intimate detail the experience of a Christian being fed to a lion?
(a) A dream.
(b) A seizure.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) One of his religious, hallucinatory states.
4. What does the butler suggest that it is probably time for the lawyer to do?
(a) Seduce Julian.
(b) Visit the Cardinal again.
(d) Find Miss Alice.
5. How does this scene open?
(a) It is set in the Cardinal's inner rooms.
(b) It is set in the mansion's garden at a party.
(c) It is set in the mansion's library and opens with no one on stage.
(d) It is set in the mansion's chapel during a service.
6. What do these two explore?
(a) Telling the Cardinal more than that Julian will get the money.
(b) Other options besides hurting Julian.
(c) Miss Alice's mail.
(d) The mansion.
7. Where does Julian kneel?
(a) Away from her.
(b) Behind her.
(c) In a corner.
(d) Within the folds of her wing-like gown.
8. What is Julian doing for Miss Alice and the Church?
(a) Serving them.
(b) Humiliating them.
(c) Embarrassing them.
(d) Abandoning them.
9. In what does Miss Alice delight?
(a) Julian's nervousness.
(b) Julian's love.
(c) Julian's embarrassment.
(d) Julian's anger.
10. What does Julian do as he moves to her?
(a) He gives a sort of dying cry.
(b) He takes a deep breath.
(c) He begins to sob.
(d) He screams her name.
11. What about the butler infuriates the lawyer even further?
(a) His indifference.
(b) His rude behavior.
(c) His disrespect.
(d) His crude humor.
12. What do they wonder if they should tell the Cardinal?
(a) About the model of the mansion.
(b) That Julian is out of the conspiracy.
(c) About Miss Alice's relationship with Julian.
(d) That the Cardinal will not get any of the money.
13. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
(a) Julian forgot a gift for Miss Alice.
(b) The movement was in the chapel.
(c) It is the chapel that is engulfed in flames.
(d) It is the most beautiful location.
14. Why does the lawyer throw out that maybe she would rather be with her precious Julian?
(a) Miss Alice obviously despises the lawyer and does not want him near her.
(b) Miss Alice is in love with the lawyer and despises Julian.
(c) He loves her and is jealous.
(d) He knows Miss Alice does not like Julian.
15. What does the lawyer demand that the butler do?
(a) Keep an eye on Miss Alice and Julian at all times.
(b) Put flowers in a vase for him.
(c) Make up a bed for him.
(d) Make him dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what do the two men then engage?
2. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
3. To whom is he talking?
4. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
5. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)