|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the butler pretend?
(a) Dinner has already been served.
(b) He does not hear the lawyer.
(c) He does not know where Miss Alice and Julian are.
(d) There is no place for him to take a nap.
2. What does the lawyer do when the other two men leave?
(a) He tells Miss Alice to follow the other two men.
(b) He leaves.
(c) He violently grabs Miss Alice by the wrist and forces her to the floor.
(d) He kisses Miss Alice.
3. What are almost too much for him to avoid any longer?
(a) Miss Alice's good looks.
(b) The gluttony and temptation.
(c) The various dishes of delicious food.
(d) His feelings for Miss Alice.
4. What do they discuss?
(a) How much fun they had riding horses today.
(b) His legal rights.
(c) Whether or not he should leave.
(d) His role as a lay man.
5. What has Julian become during his stay at the mansion?
(a) A priest.
(b) A nuisance.
(c) A man.
(d) A tremendous help.
6. What is Miss Alice's response when he asks her if there is anything to fear?
(b) Only here.
7. What does the butler say when at last he softens?
(a) He will cut fresh flowers for the lawyer.
(b) They will have Julian very soon now.
(c) He will make up a bed for him.
(d) He will cook him dinner.
8. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
(a) Will he take Julian's side?
(b) Can he take being told the full truth?
(c) Does he love Miss Alice?
(d) Will he go through with the plan?
9. Where is Julian?
(a) In the parlor.
(b) In the dining room.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In Miss Alice's sitting room,
10. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
(a) It is the most beautiful location.
(b) The movement was in the chapel.
(c) It is the chapel that is engulfed in flames.
(d) Julian forgot a gift for Miss Alice.
11. What does he clearly wonder?
(a) Whether he will ever be a priest.
(b) Why he has not proposed yet.
(c) Where the other men are.
(d) Why he is there, what is his real purpose there, and why is he being tempted and tested.
12. What does Miss Alice do after the lawyer leaves her?
(a) She cries.
(b) She calls for Julian.
(c) She assumes a more comfortable position on the floor, where she goes into a mantra.
(d) She goes to the chapel to find the men.
13. What does Julian beg of Miss Alice?
(a) To please not leave him.
(b) To please stay away from him.
(c) To hold him.
(d) To marry him.
14. What does Miss Alice recite?
(a) A scene from Romeo and Juliet.
(b) D.H. Lawrence's Love on the Farm.
(c) Her wedding vows in the form of a poem.
(d) A poem she had written.
15. What is Miss Alice's response when Julian pleads with her to explain what had just happened to him?
(a) She no longer likes wine.
(b) The model and the real thing are the same.
(c) She tells him that the lawyer had business to attend to.
(d) She wearily responds that she does not know.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian ask Miss Alice?
2. What is the lawyer trying to do to Alice?
3. What does Miss Alice think about the lawyer's hair on his back, the fat between his shoulder blades, even his genitalia?
4. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
5. To whom is he talking?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)