|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the butler infuriates the lawyer even further?
(a) His rude behavior.
(b) His indifference.
(c) His disrespect.
(d) His crude humor.
2. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
(a) Will he take Julian's side?
(b) Will he go through with the plan?
(c) Can he take being told the full truth?
(d) Does he love Miss Alice?
3. What does the butler pretend?
(a) He does not know where Miss Alice and Julian are.
(b) Dinner has already been served.
(c) There is no place for him to take a nap.
(d) He does not hear the lawyer.
4. What does Miss Alice ask Julian to do?
(b) Go back to the monastery.
(c) Move into the mansion with her.
(d) Move into the guest house.
5. What must the lawyer do with their plans for Julian?
(a) Inform the Cardinal of them.
(b) Warn Julian of them.
(c) Forget about them.
(d) Inform Miss Alice of them.
6. What does Miss Alice tell him?
(a) "You will be hers; you will sacrifice yourself to her..."
(b) "I love you..."
(c) "Your sacrifice will be to the church, not to me..."
(d) "You are the sweetest man I know..."
7. What does the lawyer demand when he enters?
(a) To take a nap.
(b) To have dinner made for him.
(c) To have a bunch of flowers cut.
(d) To know where Miss Alice and Julian are.
8. What does Julian ask Miss Alice?
(a) How there could be flames in both the model of the chapel and the real chapel.
(b) If she would like to have some wine.
(c) Where the lawyer ran off to.
(d) If she is alright.
9. How does the scene end?
(a) The men are laughing about their plot to destroy Julian.
(b) With the two men wondering if Julian will survive.
(c) The men see the model of the mansion begin to move.
(d) The two men search for Miss Alice.
10. What does he clearly wonder?
(a) Why he has not proposed yet.
(b) Where the other men are.
(c) Whether he will ever be a priest.
(d) Why he is there, what is his real purpose there, and why is he being tempted and tested.
11. What does Julian want to do?
(a) Serve in some way and be forgotten.
(b) Run away.
(c) Marry Miss Alice.
(d) Become a priest.
12. Where is the scene set?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In Miss Alice's bedroom.
(c) In the garden.
(d) The library of the mansion.
13. Who is the butler playing?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The devil's advocate.
(c) The underdog.
(d) The black pieces.
14. What is Miss Alice's response when he asks her if there is anything to fear?
(c) Only here.
15. Into what does Julian launch as he describes in intimate detail the experience of a Christian being fed to a lion?
(a) One of his religious, hallucinatory states.
(b) A dream.
(c) A seizure.
(d) A nightmare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lawyer hiss at her?
2. What does Miss Alice call out, as she drops her head back?
3. Why do they all peer into the model?
4. What does the lawyer think about the relationship that has developed by the wealthy woman and the lay brother?
5. What are almost too much for him to avoid any longer?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)