|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is he talking?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) Miss Alice.
(c) The Cardinal.
2. What do these two explore?
(a) Telling the Cardinal more than that Julian will get the money.
(b) Miss Alice's mail.
(c) Other options besides hurting Julian.
(d) The mansion.
3. What does Miss Alice do when Julian is still in his dreamlike state, musing on the greatness of sacrifice?
(a) Miss Alice humiliates him even further.
(b) Miss Alice leaves him.
(c) Miss Alice moves behind him, her arms around his neck, and then on his chest, urging him to come to her in his sacrifice.
(d) Miss Alice says a prayer for him.
4. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
(a) She is calm and seems a bit amused at his advances.
(b) She panics.
(c) She kisses him.
(d) She begins to scream.
5. In what do the two men relish?
(a) The idea of telling Julian about their plans, to see his reaction.
(b) The idea of telling Miss Alice that Julian does not like him.
(c) The idea of telling His Eminence that the precious Julian will soon be taken from him.
(d) The idea of telling Miss Alice they are no longer interested in her plan.
6. What is Julian doing for Miss Alice and the Church?
(a) Embarrassing them.
(b) Abandoning them.
(c) Serving them.
(d) Humiliating them.
7. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
(a) It is the most beautiful location.
(b) It is the chapel that is engulfed in flames.
(c) Julian forgot a gift for Miss Alice.
(d) The movement was in the chapel.
8. To what does the poem lead?
(a) Their conversation of early erotic musings and mental imagery of sex play.
(b) Miss Alice begging Julian to marry her.
(c) A kiss shared between the couple.
(d) An awkward moment.
9. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
(a) Will he take Julian's side?
(b) Does he love Miss Alice?
(c) Will he go through with the plan?
(d) Can he take being told the full truth?
10. What is Miss Alice saying when the other men are gone?
(a) Nothing. She cries.
(b) A monologue.
(d) She says Julian's name and then is silent.
11. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He begins to grow stronger.
(c) He begins to weaken.
(d) He begins to grow fearful.
12. How does the scene end?
(a) The men see the model of the mansion begin to move.
(b) The men are laughing about their plot to destroy Julian.
(c) With the two men wondering if Julian will survive.
(d) The two men search for Miss Alice.
13. What does Miss Alice recite?
(a) A poem she had written.
(b) D.H. Lawrence's Love on the Farm.
(c) Her wedding vows in the form of a poem.
(d) A scene from Romeo and Juliet.
14. What does the butler say about Miss Alice?
(a) She is in love with Julian.
(b) She is upset.
(c) She will rise above her human qualities and do her job.
(d) She is missing.
15. What does Miss Alice tell him?
(a) "I love you..."
(b) "You will be hers; you will sacrifice yourself to her..."
(c) "Your sacrifice will be to the church, not to me..."
(d) "You are the sweetest man I know..."
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Miss Alice delight?
2. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
3. For what do the lawyer and butler say that Julian has been looking?
4. What do they wonder if they should tell the Cardinal?
5. What does Miss Alice do after the lawyer leaves her?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)