|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Julian kneel?
(a) Away from her.
(b) Behind her.
(c) Within the folds of her wing-like gown.
(d) In a corner.
2. To what does the poem lead?
(a) An awkward moment.
(b) Miss Alice begging Julian to marry her.
(c) Their conversation of early erotic musings and mental imagery of sex play.
(d) A kiss shared between the couple.
3. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
(a) Can he take being told the full truth?
(b) Does he love Miss Alice?
(c) Will he go through with the plan?
(d) Will he take Julian's side?
4. In what do the two men then engage?
(a) A game of chess.
(b) A fight.
(c) A debate.
(d) A role-playing exercise.
5. What does the butler say as he enters the room?
(a) Julian does not want to see them.
(b) Julian has left the wine cellar and would be joining them presently.
(c) Julian will no longer be seeing them this evening.
(d) Julian has run away.
6. How does the butler feel about the encounter upon which he has stumbled?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is amused.
(d) He is embarrassed.
7. What does Julian do as she beckons him to come to her?
(a) He runs away from her.
(b) He continues to plead for sacrifice.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He crawls slowly to her.
8. What about the butler infuriates the lawyer even further?
(a) His rude behavior.
(b) His crude humor.
(c) His indifference.
(d) His disrespect.
9. What do the two men explore about Julian?
(a) Whether he will go along with the plan.
(b) Whether he can take it as well.
(c) Whether he will stay.
(d) Whether he will be their sacrifice.
10. What do they discuss?
(a) His legal rights.
(b) Whether or not he should leave.
(c) His role as a lay man.
(d) How much fun they had riding horses today.
11. Why does the lawyer throw out that maybe she would rather be with her precious Julian?
(a) He knows Miss Alice does not like Julian.
(b) Miss Alice obviously despises the lawyer and does not want him near her.
(c) Miss Alice is in love with the lawyer and despises Julian.
(d) He loves her and is jealous.
12. What does he clearly wonder?
(a) Why he has not proposed yet.
(b) Why he is there, what is his real purpose there, and why is he being tempted and tested.
(c) Where the other men are.
(d) Whether he will ever be a priest.
13. What does Julian fear?
(a) The chapel.
(b) Miss Alice.
(c) The lawyer.
(d) The model.
14. To whom is he talking?
(a) The Cardinal.
(b) Miss Alice.
(c) The lawyer.
15. What does Julian do as he moves to her?
(a) He takes a deep breath.
(b) He begins to sob.
(c) He screams her name.
(d) He gives a sort of dying cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
2. What does Miss Alice do after the lawyer leaves her?
3. What is Miss Alice's response when he asks her if there is anything to fear?
4. To what topic of discomfort does Julian move?
5. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)