|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the butler say when at last he softens?
(a) He will cook him dinner.
(b) He will make up a bed for him.
(c) He will cut fresh flowers for the lawyer.
(d) They will have Julian very soon now.
2. What does Julian do as he moves to her?
(a) He begins to sob.
(b) He takes a deep breath.
(c) He gives a sort of dying cry.
(d) He screams her name.
3. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
(a) Tried to obey, tried to understand, she has tried!
(b) Given up on the lawyer.
(c) Sold her soul to the devil.
(d) Nothing wrong.
4. In what does Miss Alice delight?
(a) Julian's love.
(b) Julian's embarrassment.
(c) Julian's nervousness.
(d) Julian's anger.
5. What does Julian remember about the Welsh man?
(a) How handsome he was.
(b) The incredible tufts of black hair on his fingers.
(c) How good he was with horses.
(d) The juice his farm produced.
6. What does the lawyer demand when he enters?
(a) To take a nap.
(b) To have a bunch of flowers cut.
(c) To know where Miss Alice and Julian are.
(d) To have dinner made for him.
7. What must the lawyer do with their plans for Julian?
(a) Warn Julian of them.
(b) Inform the Cardinal of them.
(c) Inform Miss Alice of them.
(d) Forget about them.
8. What does Miss Alice tell him?
(a) "I love you..."
(b) "Your sacrifice will be to the church, not to me..."
(c) "You are the sweetest man I know..."
(d) "You will be hers; you will sacrifice yourself to her..."
9. Into what does Julian launch as he describes in intimate detail the experience of a Christian being fed to a lion?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) One of his religious, hallucinatory states.
(c) A seizure.
(d) A dream.
10. Of what does Miss Alice remind him?
(a) He is serving.
(b) He will never be a priest.
(c) He will marry her.
(d) He cannot run away.
11. What do these two explore?
(a) Miss Alice's mail.
(b) The mansion.
(c) Telling the Cardinal more than that Julian will get the money.
(d) Other options besides hurting Julian.
12. What does the butler suggest that it is probably time for the lawyer to do?
(a) Seduce Julian.
(b) Visit the Cardinal again.
(c) Find Miss Alice.
13. What does Miss Alice call out, as she drops her head back?
(a) "You are mine and God's!"
(b) "What shall I do with you, my sweet?"
(c) "NO! I can't do this to you!"
(d) "He will be yours! He will be yours! ALICE!"
14. What do the two men believe would be a perfect twist?
(a) If the Cardinal were to marrry Julian and Miss Alice.
(b) If the Cardinal has a relationship with Julian.
(c) If the lawyer were to marry Miss Alice.
(d) If the Cardinal were to marry Miss Alice.
15. What does the butler say as he enters the room?
(a) Julian will no longer be seeing them this evening.
(b) Julian has run away.
(c) Julian does not want to see them.
(d) Julian has left the wine cellar and would be joining them presently.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Alice ask Julian to do?
2. What does the lawyer think about the relationship that has developed by the wealthy woman and the lay brother?
3. Why do the men believe surely a hundred-million dollars a year should be enough for one man?
4. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
5. What are they discussing as Julian enters the library?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)