|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Alice do when Julian is still in his dreamlike state, musing on the greatness of sacrifice?
(a) Miss Alice says a prayer for him.
(b) Miss Alice humiliates him even further.
(c) Miss Alice leaves him.
(d) Miss Alice moves behind him, her arms around his neck, and then on his chest, urging him to come to her in his sacrifice.
2. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
(a) Sold her soul to the devil.
(b) Nothing wrong.
(c) Given up on the lawyer.
(d) Tried to obey, tried to understand, she has tried!
3. What does the butler say Miss Alice will do?
(a) Return soon.
(b) She will run away with Julian.
(c) Be angry with the lawyer.
(d) Her job.
4. What do they discuss?
(a) His legal rights.
(b) How much fun they had riding horses today.
(c) His role as a lay man.
(d) Whether or not he should leave.
5. What does Miss Alice recite?
(a) A poem she had written.
(b) D.H. Lawrence's Love on the Farm.
(c) Her wedding vows in the form of a poem.
(d) A scene from Romeo and Juliet.
6. In what do the two men relish?
(a) The idea of telling Miss Alice they are no longer interested in her plan.
(b) The idea of telling His Eminence that the precious Julian will soon be taken from him.
(c) The idea of telling Miss Alice that Julian does not like him.
(d) The idea of telling Julian about their plans, to see his reaction.
7. Of what does Miss Alice remind him?
(a) He cannot run away.
(b) He is serving.
(c) He will never be a priest.
(d) He will marry her.
8. What do the two men believe would be a perfect twist?
(a) If the Cardinal has a relationship with Julian.
(b) If the Cardinal were to marrry Julian and Miss Alice.
(c) If the lawyer were to marry Miss Alice.
(d) If the Cardinal were to marry Miss Alice.
9. Where is Julian?
(a) In the dining room.
(b) In the parlor.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In Miss Alice's sitting room,
10. What does the lawyer do to the butler?
(a) He hits him.
(b) He chastises him.
(c) He argues with him.
(d) He glares at him.
11. What has Julian become during his stay at the mansion?
(a) A man.
(b) A nuisance.
(c) A priest.
(d) A tremendous help.
12. What do the folds of her negligee mimic?
(a) The unfurling of great wings.
(b) A tarp.
(c) The clouds.
(d) The wind.
13. What is Miss Alice's response when Julian pleads with her to explain what had just happened to him?
(a) She tells him that the lawyer had business to attend to.
(b) She no longer likes wine.
(c) She wearily responds that she does not know.
(d) The model and the real thing are the same.
14. What does Julian fear?
(a) The model.
(b) The lawyer.
(c) The chapel.
(d) Miss Alice.
15. What does Julian do as she beckons him to come to her?
(a) He continues to plead for sacrifice.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He runs away from her.
(d) He crawls slowly to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he clearly wonder?
2. What does the butler say about Miss Alice?
3. What does Miss Alice ask Julian to do?
4. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
5. How does this scene open?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)