|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what does Miss Alice delight?
(a) Julian's love.
(b) Julian's embarrassment.
(c) Julian's nervousness.
(d) Julian's anger.
2. What do these two explore?
(a) The mansion.
(b) Telling the Cardinal more than that Julian will get the money.
(c) Miss Alice's mail.
(d) Other options besides hurting Julian.
3. What does he clearly wonder?
(a) Why he has not proposed yet.
(b) Why he is there, what is his real purpose there, and why is he being tempted and tested.
(c) Where the other men are.
(d) Whether he will ever be a priest.
4. What does Miss Alice tell him?
(a) "You are the sweetest man I know..."
(b) "Your sacrifice will be to the church, not to me..."
(c) "You will be hers; you will sacrifice yourself to her..."
(d) "I love you..."
5. How does this scene open?
(a) It is set in the mansion's chapel during a service.
(b) It is set in the mansion's library and opens with no one on stage.
(c) It is set in the mansion's garden at a party.
(d) It is set in the Cardinal's inner rooms.
6. In what do the two men relish?
(a) The idea of telling Miss Alice that Julian does not like him.
(b) The idea of telling Julian about their plans, to see his reaction.
(c) The idea of telling Miss Alice they are no longer interested in her plan.
(d) The idea of telling His Eminence that the precious Julian will soon be taken from him.
7. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
(a) He begins to grow stronger.
(b) He begins to weaken.
(c) He begins to grow fearful.
(d) He runs away.
8. What about the butler infuriates the lawyer even further?
(a) His crude humor.
(b) His disrespect.
(c) His indifference.
(d) His rude behavior.
9. To what does the poem lead?
(a) A kiss shared between the couple.
(b) Their conversation of early erotic musings and mental imagery of sex play.
(c) Miss Alice begging Julian to marry her.
(d) An awkward moment.
10. What do they discuss?
(a) How much fun they had riding horses today.
(b) His role as a lay man.
(c) His legal rights.
(d) Whether or not he should leave.
11. What do the two men explore about Julian?
(a) Whether he will stay.
(b) Whether he will be their sacrifice.
(c) Whether he will go along with the plan.
(d) Whether he can take it as well.
12. What is Miss Alice's response when he asks her if there is anything to fear?
(c) Only here.
13. What does the lawyer do when the other two men leave?
(a) He leaves.
(b) He violently grabs Miss Alice by the wrist and forces her to the floor.
(c) He tells Miss Alice to follow the other two men.
(d) He kisses Miss Alice.
14. What must the lawyer do with their plans for Julian?
(a) Inform the Cardinal of them.
(b) Inform Miss Alice of them.
(c) Forget about them.
(d) Warn Julian of them.
15. What does Julian do as she beckons him to come to her?
(a) He crawls slowly to her.
(b) He continues to plead for sacrifice.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He runs away from her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the butler playing?
2. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
3. What does Miss Alice do when Julian is still in his dreamlike state, musing on the greatness of sacrifice?
4. What does Miss Alice think about the lawyer's hair on his back, the fat between his shoulder blades, even his genitalia?
5. What does Julian remember about the Welsh man?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)