|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Miss Alice remind him?
(a) He will marry her.
(b) He is serving.
(c) He will never be a priest.
(d) He cannot run away.
2. What do the two men wonder about Julian's mental state?
(a) Will he end up back in the asylum?
(b) Will he fall on the side of his faith or the asylum?
(c) Is he on medication?
(d) Will he attack one of them?
3. What does Miss Alice ask Julian to do?
(b) Move into the mansion with her.
(c) Move into the guest house.
(d) Go back to the monastery.
4. What does the butler say Miss Alice will do?
(a) Return soon.
(b) Be angry with the lawyer.
(c) Her job.
(d) She will run away with Julian.
5. What does Miss Alice do after the lawyer leaves her?
(a) She cries.
(b) She assumes a more comfortable position on the floor, where she goes into a mantra.
(c) She goes to the chapel to find the men.
(d) She calls for Julian.
6. What does the lawyer do when the other two men leave?
(a) He violently grabs Miss Alice by the wrist and forces her to the floor.
(b) He kisses Miss Alice.
(c) He tells Miss Alice to follow the other two men.
(d) He leaves.
7. What does Julian ask Miss Alice?
(a) If she is alright.
(b) If she would like to have some wine.
(c) How there could be flames in both the model of the chapel and the real chapel.
(d) Where the lawyer ran off to.
8. What does Julian beg of Miss Alice?
(a) To please not leave him.
(b) To please stay away from him.
(c) To marry him.
(d) To hold him.
9. What has Julian become during his stay at the mansion?
(a) A priest.
(b) A nuisance.
(c) A man.
(d) A tremendous help.
10. Into what does Julian launch as he describes in intimate detail the experience of a Christian being fed to a lion?
(a) One of his religious, hallucinatory states.
(b) A seizure.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A dream.
11. What does Miss Alice recite?
(a) A poem she had written.
(b) D.H. Lawrence's Love on the Farm.
(c) A scene from Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Her wedding vows in the form of a poem.
12. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
(a) Can he take being told the full truth?
(b) Will he take Julian's side?
(c) Will he go through with the plan?
(d) Does he love Miss Alice?
13. What does the lawyer demand that the butler do?
(a) Make him dinner.
(b) Put flowers in a vase for him.
(c) Keep an eye on Miss Alice and Julian at all times.
(d) Make up a bed for him.
14. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
(a) She kisses him.
(b) She panics.
(c) She begins to scream.
(d) She is calm and seems a bit amused at his advances.
15. What does the butler say when at last he softens?
(a) He will cook him dinner.
(b) He will cut fresh flowers for the lawyer.
(c) They will have Julian very soon now.
(d) He will make up a bed for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what do the two men then engage?
2. What is Miss Alice's response when he asks her if there is anything to fear?
3. What does Julian do as she beckons him to come to her?
4. Where is Julian?
5. What do the two men explore about Julian?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)