|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Julian?
(a) In the dining room.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In the parlor.
(d) In Miss Alice's sitting room,
2. How does the butler feel about the encounter upon which he has stumbled?
(a) He is embarrassed.
(b) He is nervous.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He is amused.
3. Of what does Miss Alice remind him?
(a) He will marry her.
(b) He cannot run away.
(c) He will never be a priest.
(d) He is serving.
4. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
(a) The movement was in the chapel.
(b) It is the chapel that is engulfed in flames.
(c) It is the most beautiful location.
(d) Julian forgot a gift for Miss Alice.
5. What does the lawyer demand that the butler do?
(a) Put flowers in a vase for him.
(b) Make him dinner.
(c) Keep an eye on Miss Alice and Julian at all times.
(d) Make up a bed for him.
6. What is the lawyer trying to do to Alice?
(a) Seduce Julian.
(b) Touch and caress her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Get her to sign a document.
7. What do the two men wonder about Julian's mental state?
(a) Will he end up back in the asylum?
(b) Will he fall on the side of his faith or the asylum?
(c) Will he attack one of them?
(d) Is he on medication?
8. What is Miss Alice saying when the other men are gone?
(a) A monologue.
(b) Nothing. She cries.
(c) She says Julian's name and then is silent.
9. To what does the poem lead?
(a) Their conversation of early erotic musings and mental imagery of sex play.
(b) Miss Alice begging Julian to marry her.
(c) An awkward moment.
(d) A kiss shared between the couple.
10. What does Julian notice about the model of the mansion?
(a) There is movement.
(b) It is beautiful.
(c) It is on fire.
(d) It is not accurate.
11. What does the lawyer say is the true source of her private donation to the church?
(a) Her father's inheritance.
(b) The selling of her mansion.
(c) Her relationship with the Cardinal.
(d) Her sexual relationship with Julian.
12. Why does the lawyer throw out that maybe she would rather be with her precious Julian?
(a) He loves her and is jealous.
(b) He knows Miss Alice does not like Julian.
(c) Miss Alice obviously despises the lawyer and does not want him near her.
(d) Miss Alice is in love with the lawyer and despises Julian.
13. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
(a) He begins to weaken.
(b) He begins to grow stronger.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He begins to grow fearful.
14. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
(a) Nothing wrong.
(b) Given up on the lawyer.
(c) Sold her soul to the devil.
(d) Tried to obey, tried to understand, she has tried!
15. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
(a) She is calm and seems a bit amused at his advances.
(b) She panics.
(c) She begins to scream.
(d) She kisses him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the butler say when at last he softens?
2. In what does Miss Alice delight?
3. What does Julian ask Miss Alice?
4. What about the butler infuriates the lawyer even further?
5. To whom is he talking?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)