|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Alice recite?
(a) D.H. Lawrence's Love on the Farm.
(b) A poem she had written.
(c) Her wedding vows in the form of a poem.
(d) A scene from Romeo and Juliet.
2. Why do the men believe surely a hundred-million dollars a year should be enough for one man?
(a) He is not very intelligent.
(b) He is not even that attractive.
(c) He has no authority.
(d) He is not even a priest.
3. What does Julian do as he moves to her?
(a) He gives a sort of dying cry.
(b) He screams her name.
(c) He begins to sob.
(d) He takes a deep breath.
4. What happens as Miss Alice spreads her arms?
(a) He begins to grow stronger.
(b) He begins to grow fearful.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He begins to weaken.
5. Where does Julian kneel?
(a) Within the folds of her wing-like gown.
(b) Away from her.
(c) In a corner.
(d) Behind her.
6. In what do the two men then engage?
(a) A debate.
(b) A role-playing exercise.
(c) A game of chess.
(d) A fight.
7. To whom is he talking?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) Miss Alice.
(d) The Cardinal.
8. What does Julian notice about the model of the mansion?
(a) It is not accurate.
(b) There is movement.
(c) It is beautiful.
(d) It is on fire.
9. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
(a) Tried to obey, tried to understand, she has tried!
(b) Nothing wrong.
(c) Sold her soul to the devil.
(d) Given up on the lawyer.
10. What does the lawyer do to the butler?
(a) He chastises him.
(b) He glares at him.
(c) He hits him.
(d) He argues with him.
11. What does the lawyer do when the other two men leave?
(a) He tells Miss Alice to follow the other two men.
(b) He kisses Miss Alice.
(c) He leaves.
(d) He violently grabs Miss Alice by the wrist and forces her to the floor.
12. Why do they all peer into the model?
(a) To see the location of the flames.
(b) To find out what is moving.
(c) To see what is not accurate.
(d) To see its beauty.
13. What does Miss Alice call out, as she drops her head back?
(a) "NO! I can't do this to you!"
(b) "He will be yours! He will be yours! ALICE!"
(c) "You are mine and God's!"
(d) "What shall I do with you, my sweet?"
14. What does Julian do as she beckons him to come to her?
(a) He runs away from her.
(b) He crawls slowly to her.
(c) He continues to plead for sacrifice.
(d) He begins to cry.
15. Of what does Miss Alice remind him?
(a) He will never be a priest.
(b) He will marry her.
(c) He cannot run away.
(d) He is serving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the butler playing?
2. What do the two men explore about Julian?
3. In what do the two men relish?
4. What does the lawyer think about the relationship that has developed by the wealthy woman and the lay brother?
5. What do they discuss?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)