|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the butler infuriates the lawyer even further?
(a) His disrespect.
(b) His indifference.
(c) His crude humor.
(d) His rude behavior.
2. Into what does Julian launch as he describes in intimate detail the experience of a Christian being fed to a lion?
(a) One of his religious, hallucinatory states.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A dream.
(d) A seizure.
3. What does the lawyer think about the relationship that has developed by the wealthy woman and the lay brother?
(a) He does not care.
(b) He is intrigued.
(c) He is embarrassed for Miss Alice.
(d) He is personally and professionally outraged.
4. What does Julian do as she beckons him to come to her?
(a) He runs away from her.
(b) He continues to plead for sacrifice.
(c) He crawls slowly to her.
(d) He begins to cry.
5. Why do they all peer into the model?
(a) To find out what is moving.
(b) To see the location of the flames.
(c) To see its beauty.
(d) To see what is not accurate.
6. What do the two men believe would be a perfect twist?
(a) If the Cardinal has a relationship with Julian.
(b) If the Cardinal were to marrry Julian and Miss Alice.
(c) If the lawyer were to marry Miss Alice.
(d) If the Cardinal were to marry Miss Alice.
7. What does Miss Alice say she has done?
(a) Sold her soul to the devil.
(b) Given up on the lawyer.
(c) Tried to obey, tried to understand, she has tried!
(d) Nothing wrong.
8. How does Miss Alice's behavior change when the lawyer relentlessly pursues her and backs her against a wall?
(a) She begins to scream.
(b) She kisses him.
(c) She panics.
(d) She is calm and seems a bit amused at his advances.
9. Where is Julian?
(a) In the parlor.
(b) In Miss Alice's sitting room,
(c) In the garden.
(d) In the dining room.
10. Why do the butler and Julian run to the chapel?
(a) Julian forgot a gift for Miss Alice.
(b) It is the most beautiful location.
(c) It is the chapel that is engulfed in flames.
(d) The movement was in the chapel.
11. What does the butler say when at last he softens?
(a) He will cook him dinner.
(b) They will have Julian very soon now.
(c) He will make up a bed for him.
(d) He will cut fresh flowers for the lawyer.
12. What does Julian remember about the Welsh man?
(a) The incredible tufts of black hair on his fingers.
(b) The juice his farm produced.
(c) How handsome he was.
(d) How good he was with horses.
13. Who is the butler playing?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The devil's advocate.
(c) The underdog.
(d) The black pieces.
14. What does Julian want to do?
(a) Serve in some way and be forgotten.
(b) Marry Miss Alice.
(c) Run away.
(d) Become a priest.
15. What does Miss Alice ask Julian to do?
(a) Move into the guest house.
(c) Go back to the monastery.
(d) Move into the mansion with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they discuss?
2. What does Julian notice about the model of the mansion?
3. What do the men wonder about the Cardinal, since he is, after all, a man of God, even though he seems to worship the symbol and not the substance?
4. What does the butler pretend?
5. What does the butler say about the wine cellar?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)