|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many triangles should you cut in order to make a bird's nest, according to the narrative in Chapter 4?
2. George reveals that he has an inscribed first edition printing of what novel in one of his safety deposit boxes in Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of the wheat planter in Roman times that is described in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Howard stop and sleep on his way to visit George in 1953?
5. What does Howard witness a fish do as he sits in the pond watching the Indian in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the disappearance of Reverend Crosby described in Chapter 3, Part 1? How does Howard's mother address the issue?
2. Who does Howard Crosby marry in Philadelphia? How is this character described?
3. Who comes to visit George in the opening of Chapter 4? What does this character do during her visit?
4. Whom does George ask for when he awakens in Chapter 4, Part 1? Who is sitting with George?
5. What regret does Howard display regarding his father in the beginning of Chapter 3?
6. How would you describe the language style of Tinkers? Is the language easy to understand?
7. How do George's memories of his father relate to the theme of rites of passage in Tinkers?
8. When is the last time George awakens before he dies? What does he relate after awakening?
9. What is the significance of the title of Tinkers? Who does this term apply to in the novel?
10. How is Howard's death described in Chapter 4? What is this description juxtaposed against?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Howard Aaron Crosby in Tinkers. How is Howard perceived by his wife and children? How does the narrator describe Howard’s seizures? In what ways is Howard similar to George? How is he different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the contemporary setting of Tinkers. What clues in the narrative indicate the time period in which George lay dying in the hospital bed in his living room? Where does George live with his wife? Where are his family members visiting from?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Kathleen in Tinkers. How does George’s relationship with his mother differ from his relationship with his father? How is Kathleen’s attitude described by the narrator? What kind of relationship does Kathleen have with her husband?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)