|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Howard describes his mother helping his father dress before his father is taken away in Chapter 3?
2. What word from Chapter 4 refers to an instrument that is pointed and pen-shaped used in artwork?
3. What word used by Howard in Chapter 3 refers to a disgrace or humiliation?
4. Of his father and of the old Indian that repaired the canoe, Howard says in Chapter 3, "My memories of them are" what?
5. What year is it when Howard dies in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is implied in the conversation between George's wife and Charlie in Chapter 4, Part 1?
2. What is epilepsy? How was this disorder treated in the 1920s/1930s?
3. Who does Howard Crosby marry in Philadelphia? How is this character described?
4. How is the disappearance of Reverend Crosby described in Chapter 3, Part 1? How does Howard's mother address the issue?
5. What is the last thing that George remembers before he dies in Chapter 4?
6. How does the theme of competition apply to the characters of Howard and Reverend Crosby?
7. Where does Howard go to search for his father after Reverend Crosby's disappearance in Chapter 3?
8. What regret does Howard display regarding his father in the beginning of Chapter 3?
9. What is the principle motif used throughout Tinkers? What does this motif represent?
10. What hallucinations does Howard experience in Tagg Pond in Chapter 3, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the contemporary setting of Tinkers. What clues in the narrative indicate the time period in which George lay dying in the hospital bed in his living room? Where does George live with his wife? Where are his family members visiting from?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the imagery of the collapsing house in Chapter 1. In what ways does the house represent George’s body as he faces death? What are some specific examples of similes and metaphors that are used in describing the house? Where does George end up when the house collapses around him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Cullen in the novel. What is Cullen’s business relationship to Howard Crosby? How would you describe Cullen’s business practices? Do you think that Howard gives a fair assessment of Cullen? Why or why not?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)