|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator describe as having gone mad and lit his house on fire, killing himself and a woman with two children, in Chapter 2?
(a) Tom Budden.
(b) Dan Cooper.
(c) Kenner Davenport.
(d) Ray Morell.
2. What is the name of the hospital that Kathleen has gotten a pamphlet for in Chapter 2?
(a) The Eastern Maine State Hospital.
(b) Long Island Insane Asylum.
(c) Bellevue Home for the Mentally Disabled.
(d) Boston Home for the Mentally Disabled.
3. What game do George and Ray regularly play in the Morrells' old curing shed?
(b) Go Fish.
4. Who are the neighbors that Howard goes to in order to borrow a horse to look for George after he's run away in Chapter 2?
(a) The Levansellers.
(b) The Wilsons.
(c) The Newcastles.
(d) The Montgomery's.
5. What word used in Chapter 2 refers to a device for creating applause in theaters?
Short Answer Questions
1. The drowned child that Howard fishes from a creek is the daughter of what widow?
2. What does George wrap the dead mouse with in Chapter 2?
3. The narrator says of Kathleen in Chapter 2 that her "stern manner and her humorless regime mask" what?
4. What is Howard's middle name?
5. What natural phenomenon does Howard compare his seizures to in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kathleen's behavior described when Howard Crosby arrives home late after having a seizure in Chapter 1, Part 2?
2. How does the narrator describe George's attempt to make a memoir by cassette tape in Chapter 1?
3. When is the only occurrence when George witnesses firsthand one of his father's seizures?
4. What prompts Howard's decision to leave his family in Chapter 2, Part 2? Is this action a selfish or selfless act?
5. What is ironic about George's role within his family, as illustrated in Chapter 2, Part 2?
6. How does the setting change in Chapter 1 when George's family leaves him to prepare lunch?
7. What does George think about as he begins his chores on Monday in Chapter 2, Part 1? What does Howard think about?
8. How is George's condition described in the beginning of Chapter 1? Where is George located, and what does he ask for when he first awakens?
9. What does George discover in his mother's pamphlet in Chapter 2, Part 2? How does she respond when she finds him reading it?
10. What metaphor is illustrated through the descriptions of George's house in Chapter 1, Part 1?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)