|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who agrees to shave George in Chapter 1?
2. What is the name of George's sister that runs shrieking into the house whenever she sees wasps or spiders when they are young?
3. Who is Sam's mother in the novel?
4. What kind of liquor does Howard keep a few bottles of in his secret drawer as a tradesman?
5. The hermit whose tooth Howard pulls is described in Chapter 1 as living in the woods by what river?
(a) The Colorado River.
(b) The Arkansas River.
(c) The Penobscot River.
(d) The Ohio River.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ezra Morell's son and George's childhood best friend?
2. What animal does George take with him when he runs away from home in Chapter 2?
3. Who built George's house?
4. The narrator says of Kathleen in Chapter 2 that her "stern manner and her humorless regime mask" what?
5. What has the Morrells' curing shed been converted into when George runs away in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the natural phenomenon of lightning used as a metaphor in Chapter 1?
2. What does George think about as he begins his chores on Monday in Chapter 2, Part 1? What does Howard think about?
3. How does Howard find George after he's run away from home in Chapter 2, Part 2? What are his thoughts upon finding his son?
4. How is the setting described when George awakens "one hundred and thirty-two hours" before he dies in Chapter 1?
5. What does George witness as he watches the doctor talking with his mother from the truck in Chapter 2, Part 2?
6. How does George become injured when he witnesses his father's seizure in Chapter 2, Part 1?
7. How would you describe George's relationship to animals and nature based upon his actions in Chapter 2?
8. What relationship does George Washington Crosby have with clocks in the novel? How did this relationship begin?
9. Why do you think the author has constructed Tinkers with a nonlinear timeline? Why does he shift the narrative between Howard and George's stories in Chapter 1?
10. What prompts Howard's decision to leave his family in Chapter 2, Part 2? Is this action a selfish or selfless act?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)