|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment has Marjorie suffered from all of her life?
(b) Manic depression.
2. What animals circle Howard's cart in the field before moving on in the end of Chapter 2?
3. What animal does George take with him when he runs away from home in Chapter 2?
(a) Prince Edward.
4. How often does the narrator say Kathleen washes her hair in the summer in Chapter 2?
(a) Twice a month.
(b) Twice a week.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a week.
5. What religious denomination does the narrator say George settled on after being a Methodist and a Congregationalist in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of The Reasonable Horologist that is quoted in Chapter 1?
2. What historic people does Howard think of as he watches George set aflame the funeral pyre for the mouse in Chapter 2?
3. What kind of liquor does Howard keep a few bottles of in his secret drawer as a tradesman?
4. Where is the hospital located that Kathleen has gotten a pamphlet for in Chapter 2?
5. Who are the neighbors that Howard goes to in order to borrow a horse to look for George after he's run away in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does George go when he runs away from home in Chapter 2, Part 2? What does he take with him?
2. Why do you think the author has constructed Tinkers with a nonlinear timeline? Why does he shift the narrative between Howard and George's stories in Chapter 1?
3. How does George become injured when he witnesses his father's seizure in Chapter 2, Part 1?
4. How does the narrator describe George's attempt to make a memoir by cassette tape in Chapter 1?
5. What does George witness as he watches the doctor talking with his mother from the truck in Chapter 2, Part 2?
6. What "odd jobs" of Howard Crosby's are described in Chapter 1?
7. How would you describe the differences between George and Howard Crosby in terms of their successes in life?
8. What does George ask for when he awakens ninety-six hours before his death? Who obliges his solicitation?
9. What thoughts does Howard have regarding human perception of one's condition in the end of Chapter 2?
10. Who appears to be reading to George when he awakens in Chapter 1, Part 2? What book is being read?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)