|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Howard's middle name?
2. What does George's mother serve for Christmas dinner on the night that George witnesses his father's seizure?
(a) Glazed ham.
(b) Roasted goose.
(c) Roast turkey.
(d) Roast beef.
3. What natural phenomenon does Howard compare his seizures to in Chapter 1?
4. Who is Sam's mother in the novel?
5. What has the Morrells' curing shed been converted into when George runs away in Chapter 2?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A tree house.
(c) A log cabin.
(d) A tool shed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Kathleen's maiden name?
2. How many days before he dies does George begin hallucinating?
3. What does George's collapsing house symbolize in the novel?
4. What type of vehicle does Howard drive for a living seventy years before George's death?
5. Who are the neighbors that Howard goes to in order to borrow a horse to look for George after he's run away in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "odd jobs" of Howard Crosby's are described in Chapter 1?
2. What does George ask for when he awakens ninety-six hours before his death? Who obliges his solicitation?
3. Who appears to be reading to George when he awakens in Chapter 1, Part 2? What book is being read?
4. How does George become injured when he witnesses his father's seizure in Chapter 2, Part 1?
5. What does George discover in his mother's pamphlet in Chapter 2, Part 2? How does she respond when she finds him reading it?
6. What does George think about as he begins his chores on Monday in Chapter 2, Part 1? What does Howard think about?
7. What is ironic about George's role within his family, as illustrated in Chapter 2, Part 2?
8. How would you describe the differences between George and Howard Crosby in terms of their successes in life?
9. How does the author go about illustrating the opposite natures of George and Howard in Chapter 2?
10. How is George's condition described in the beginning of Chapter 1? Where is George located, and what does he ask for when he first awakens?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)